• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shirobako (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Episode #8 where it turns out that an animator can not draw even a damn cat (!) because she has no idea of its basic anatomy (!) is too hard for me. I am trying to watch it for whole week already, and it still did not end yet.

I highly doubt that this is realistic since animators get tested, they have to know how to draw a cat. (I am not animator, but even I can do it.)

Authors have to have poor imagination not to be able to come up with anything more exciting or at least more realistic than that ridiculous issue.

And, again: character design is so generic that even to eighth episode I was confused who were members of school club, and who were not. I thought that cat girl was, but she was not.

If you really had enough artistic skills to draw a cat to the quality level that is expected of Ema, then you'd have enough experience to know that a lot of the time there's an incubation period where you have to figure out how to do what you're going to do, and sometimes you get stuck there.

Also, drawing a cat and animating a cat are two different things.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:31 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
If you really had enough artistic skills to draw a cat to the quality level that is expected of Ema, then you'd have enough experience to know that a lot of the time there's an incubation period where you have to figure out how to do what you're going to do, and sometimes you get stuck there.

Also, drawing a cat and animating a cat are two different things.

When I wrote that I can draw a cat I meant exactly a dynamic, not static cat. I am not saying that my cat would be as good as that of professional artist, of course. But this imaginary case of girl not even having an idea about animals' anatomy is ridiculous. It is literally unbelievable.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:40 am Reply with quote
It's not a matter of simply drawing one picture but of doing a series of key frames. She specifically notes that it's her first time doing key frames with an animal in them, not that she's never drawn a cat before.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:41 am Reply with quote
You can draw the key frames for a cat for an anime that has a specified style and meant to convey a specific mood, and I can drive a mecha and beat all the dragons. Words are cheap, especially when you are just an observer and not someone who actually does that thing professionally.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Wait, next episode airs on that special Christmas day right? :p

Oh well, it was a decent episode for this week. I like the concept of spoiler[key visuals being a focus since it is important. And also, that's the infamous Doraemon! I didn't think I'd get to see him (even though he is a bit disfigured/censored)]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

She was doing pretty well to stop herself from panicking, I guess it was key in spoiler[trying to negotiate something, but you could see it steadily falling apart through the episode]. It was starting to look quite desperate that she needs to find some people.

Great part with the spoiler[interviews], especially with a lot of the characters saying spoiler[most people would be better than Tarou]. I am sure there are some complex things they look for, but you could also see the spoiler[big bad signs like lack of passion in the industry or too much passion showing possible problems]. I liked the spoiler[last girl, she seemed to have confidence matching ability and passion], she also told spoiler[Tarou to shut up].

Talking about spoiler[telling Tarou to shut up], also that everyone was spoiler[concerned with Yano and told Tarou just to take her]. That is a good workplace.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I just caught up with this show and I love it! The characters are believable and relatable in different ways. I'm actually glad that I waited to watch it so I could enjoy more of it at once.[/spoiler]
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12:

spoiler[Phew, they made it! A close call but on time. Good episode overall and in light of Christmas spirit], the episode's theme felt quite well Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Just goes to show you should never discount the eldery.

spoiler[I was really happy along with everyone else when everything worked out in the end. I kinda want to watch Exodus myself now.]

This felt like a final episode with title drop and everything but thankfully this is far from the end.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

A very strong message about the power of working on a group, and combining youthful enthusiasm with senior experience. This was with all the spoiler[busy work shown with Aoi and artists mixed with the contacts and an artist who knew the classics from experience]. First off I was happy that someone had spoiler[taken note that Aoi was really struggling and that they needed to solve all the final episode problems as a team, it allowed Aoi able to ask for something she was probably still unsure of]. There had been some spoiler[tiptoeing in the episodes that Sugie would not be interested in the moe aspect], but turns out that he spoiler[was also feeling a little troubled that he could not do the style that was popular].

The outcome that people can grow and feel useful when they reach out to each other probably felt a bit more meaningful than a standard fantasy version. When we saw Aoi go around and telling other what needed to be done, it did not feel like it was all just resting on her, but more that she was largely a vehicle of all the work that everyone was putting in. From a point of view it is almost like she represents the anime itself that they worked on.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

Really enjoyable episode. Sugie is great and I'm happy that this episode fleshed out his character. It was a treat seeing everyone's hard work paying off.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:52 am Reply with quote
Episode #12 -- finally this show has made me excited (though not about supposedly leading characters, the project still fails at that).

It is easy to see that authors of this project respect their own profession and the viewers in way they do the animation; they really take pride in what they do. The only minor issue I see in animation is that lower jaw does not always move when characters talk; otherwise, it is probably impeccable.

Of course, it is not quite believable that studio would have issue with spoiler[making 3D horses in the first place; 3D can generate them in droves at any angle. Even if own 3D staff is busy, it is cheaper to outsource this than engage lots of own 2D artist in this for whole week -- there is always a pipeline project, so those people have their own planned work to do.] But I liked the idea about revering the outgoing hand-held animation.

Vaisaga wrote:
It's not a matter of simply drawing one picture but of doing a series of key frames. She specifically notes that it's her first time doing key frames with an animal in them, not that she's never drawn a cat before.

I meant specific aspect of this artist girl not knowing even where cat's heel is (she really could not draw the animal properly because of that until she has figured out the anatomy). There is no way to make this believable. Such people just do not get hired in real life.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:41 am Reply with quote
By that logic none of those animators should have jobs since they couldn't draw horses.

This particular studio is pretty small so they probably can't be too picky about who they hire (Tarou still has a job afterall). Besides, even if she can't draw animals, we know Ema is good at other stuff. She shouldn't be refused employment just because she's not good at the one thing.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:43 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Episode #12

Vaisaga wrote:

I meant specific aspect of this artist girl not knowing even where cat's heel is (she really could not draw the animal properly because of that until she has figured out the anatomy). There is no way to make this believable. Such people just do not get hired in real life.

Really?

There are huge numbers of useless people in every organisation, at least she has the drive to learn these skills herself rather than leaving it to someone else. I am so used to the latter in real life that I would snap up a lot of these characters to hire myself, except the blonde haired guy.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
By that logic none of those animators should have jobs since they couldn't draw horses.

Horses is different from just a cat or dog; every animator has to know how to draw it. It is a must in test before any animator gets the job.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11