• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shirobako (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
You can't have half a dozen artists drawing their own style of a horse in a single scene. It was a climax and required that it be a high quality with knowledge from experience because as you may have pointed out CG would often be used.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:34 am Reply with quote
For horses the story had one key animator, so it would look consistent. But cats/dogs is easier to do, every animator knows how to do it.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the entire show over the holiday. I'm always happy when there are shows that aren't about high school teen, but I wish they went further with that and flat out dropped everything with her old anime club. It would have helped in a lot of area. One of the biggest problem the show has is the very large cast, dropping the anime club would considerably reduce that and also made the early episode much clearer. It also would have allowed the show to develop the character in the studio more. I'm guessing what they were aiming for was to give some light to the different aspect of anime production, but this could have been done by simply focusing on the character we would have meet trough the production. Finally, it feel like they thought the show wouldn't have been popular unless there wasn't a bunch of young girl involved, which I don't think is the case.

The second half felt much better than the first one, which is exceedingly rare, because they mostly focused on the production, although it could have done with less dream speech.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
^^^
You do realize it's continuing for another quarter, right? Not done yet. Rare for a show like this, I know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

This show is just awesome some times.

It looks like Aoi has spoiler[taken on a tough position, she is taking on head of production desk, which I think was Honda's job before]. She is working directly spoiler[with the director to aid him and get his opinions out]. She already knows it won't be easy so she is spoiler[trying to get things out of him that are needed, and keep various people happy].

The original creator's editor or agent or whatever was pretty spoiler[awful, a yes man who looks to take an easy road that is making communication not work out]. I actually wonder if there is some warning that Aoi does not do things like him.

If what's her name spoiler[gets a role in the anime] they may all be spoiler[working on it, especially since on seems to be getting praised on her part that has been bit of freelance help on researching].

Looking forward to what looks like new faces too including last girl from the interviews.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote
Gotta love how she just accept a way harder job without even talking about salary, don't be that person. Same for the blue hair college girl, just accept a huge assignment for absolutely no money, I wish I had the time to do that while in college. Rolling Eyes

I dunno about the editor being a Yes man being a problem, it must be pretty awesome for the anime team, they can do whatever they want without having to constantly run it pass him, and then if somethings goes wrong they can shift all the blame.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Ep 13--they're working on a adaptation now! Great, they won't be able to wait 'till the last minute on the ending! spoiler[Nope!]. Okay, well, at least they'll have to collaborate closely with the original creator to see exactly how he wants the show adapted! spoiler[Nope!]. Well, certainly they'll have to consult the original creator to find out how to do the last couple of episodes--get the skinny on the unpublished material so that the anime ending will match spoiler[Nope!] Um, decide with the original creator exactly how to do an anime original ending? So at least it won't contradict with his plans for the manga, and it will be an ending he'll agree to? spoiler[Nope! Nope!]

Damn it! This is so frustrating to watch as a fan! How can an original creator be so unconcerned with its anime adaptation! The original stuff the anime comes up with directly impacts your work! It could disappoint the fans and affect how people see the quality of your manga! How could you not care?! How could the editor not care? It makes no sense! It explains a lot of bad anime adaptations, but still...so disappointing.

*Deep breath* oh, well, at least seeing our animation studio struggle with an adaptation will be interesting! *Evil Laughter* try not to disappoint the legions of fans now! They're all counting on you to interpret the mangaka's vision without any of his help!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:56 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I dunno about the editor being a Yes man being a problem, it must be pretty awesome for the anime team, they can do whatever they want without having to constantly run it pass him, and then if somethings goes wrong they can shift all the blame.

Oh boy, you really think that? They have no idea what the original creator's opinions are on what makes each character tick and what the plan is for the overall story. The backlash that might come from making a mistake is something they really do not need. The word "original ending" was being thrown around, and that runs a huge risk of turning everyone away. Their company did their biggest project in a while, their director got his reputation back as well as a couple that fell with him, a character designer is starting with and repuatation is on the line of whether they can adapt someone else's work after doing something original.

As an anime fan you have to know exactly how important it is that an anime had input from the original creator is involved otherwise at risk of it just being a shallow copy. My opinion of it is that the publishers are trying to just get an anime out to boost the sale of the original work without actually putting any work into it or letting the creator to spend time in it. That man looked like he barely knew what he was doing, failing big time at business etiquette.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
meiam wrote:

Oh boy, you really think that? They have no idea what the original creator's opinions are on what makes each character tick and what the plan is for the overall story. The backlash that might come from making a mistake is something they really do not need. The word "original ending" was being thrown around, and that runs a huge risk of turning everyone away. Their company did their biggest project in a while, their director got his reputation back as well as a couple that fell with him, a character designer is starting with and repuatation is on the line of whether they can adapt someone else's work after doing something original.

As an anime fan you have to know exactly how important it is that an anime had input from the original creator is involved otherwise at risk of it just being a shallow copy. My opinion of it is that the publishers are trying to just get an anime out to boost the sale of the original work without actually putting any work into it or letting the creator to spend time in it. That man looked like he barely knew what he was doing, failing big time at business etiquette.

I may be wrong, I'd need to see the number on that, but I always assumed that the main audience for an anime adaptation is people who haven't read the original piece. They always report a huge spike in sale of manga when they get anime adaptation (look at attack on titan manga number before and after the anime) and I personally never watch anime adaptation of manga I read, always find them boring. So by adapting the original source you can find out what's wrong about it (from the public) and fix those problem with the anime release, not being chained by the original source is great. You can see it, they were talking about having to wait till the last second for the last two episode and they risk having not enough time to finish it, but hey if the author (trough is editor) is okay with w/e you can go ahead with setting it up ahead of time to have a really good conclusion rather than "we will fight on" ending.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I personally think that it's good for them that they have a very permissive editor (though he could be a bit more communicative), since I find that the manga-based anime that end up being something really special tend to be the ones that deviate significantly from their source material, and the anime staff really put a lot of themselves into it. Really spectacular things can happen when creative people are allowed to let their passions run wild.

I think the best decision for them would be to make an original ending. I think adaptations should stand apart from their source material, since in different media different things are effective, and I think that the anime staff should have the option to do what they want to try to make the show the best it can be.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:16 am Reply with quote
@Agent355 Mark my words, this has "Polar Bear Cafe" written all over it, it is going to get ugly Anime hyper
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:42 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
@Agent355 Mark my words, this has "Polar Bear Cafe" written all over it, it is going to get ugly Anime hyper

Something like that really happened? I would say that similarly there seems to be spoiler[no proof in Shirobako that the original creator of The Third Aerial Girls Squad is involved, they might be getting screwed over].
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

Something like that really happened? I would say that similarly there seems to be spoiler[no proof in Shirobako that the original creator of The Third Aerial Girls Squad is involved, they might be getting screwed over].

Think about it, the original creator wanted Ghilbi, but the production committee choose P.A. Works (since they are no doubt cheaper) ...

... then editor goes sleazy and tells mangaka that they are going with Ghilbi, he says he has total confidence in Miyazaki, no need to waste time in meetings. Later on he discovers the truth and is all up to super Miyamori to do some dogeza to appease the disgruntled mangaka.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

It was nice to see these characters again. I LOLed when spoiler[Miyamori and the Director were described as a married couple. I'm thinking that all the girls' wish to make an anime will come true and they'll each have some part to play in making the anime adaption].
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
God dammnit, give spoiler[Zuka] a break already! I mad.

They also should have shown spoiler[Misa] getting her new job. Kinda felt thrown in there.

That spoiler[cast choosing] segment was hilarious. Wasn't hard for me to believe that's the kind of thing that goes on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 11