• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuki Yuna is a Hero (TV) (all seasons + movies).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 6-12

It's been bugging me since the start, but spoiler["Vertexes"] is grammatically incorrect. It should be spoiler["Vertici"].

Hmm, we've got spoiler[sight, voice, and taste], and possibly spoiler[hearing]. Assuming that this is spoiler[due to their power-ups], what would spoiler[the fifth one be]?

The episode itself I know was spoiler[a breather episode], but with how fast-paced the series has been, it felt like spoiler[filler] to me.

Wait, spoiler[two breather episodes in a row]? This spoiler[isn't right]. At this point I have no clue where this is going. The options are a) spoiler[they've completely switched genres to slice-of-life on me], or b) spoiler[something REALLY bad is going to happen, and they're building us up as high as they can, to make the fall all that much the worse]. Media has trained me to be leaning to the latter. Oh, hey, spoiler[looks like the latter was correct, from the end of the episode]!

Of course, if spoiler[their power-up affects them so much from just the first use], what will happen spoiler[if they use it more]?

Hmm, spoiler[the return of a previously defeated enemy]. This could mean spoiler[that they have to do everything again]. I am also starting to get a spoiler[Madoka] vibe. If spoiler[them being chosen was random], and spoiler[any group could have been chosen], then why spoiler[have them fight again]? I'm thinking that spoiler[like Madoka], there may be something spoiler[that the people in charge want from them].

Hey, spoiler[the way the girl is bandaged], it's almost as if spoiler[she's getting what they're losing].

Well, now that spoiler[Yuna and Togo know the truth], spoiler[they're faced with a dilemma]: spoiler[tell the others the truth, so that they know what they're getting into], or spoiler[don't tell them, so that they stay happy].

Looks like spoiler[they went ahead and told at least Fu]. I just realized, with the start of this episode, that spoiler[two of them lost what's most important to them: Yuna her taste, and she loves snacks, and Itsuki her voice, and she loves singing].

I was wondering when we were gonna get spoiler[the Fu-centric episode]. I'm wondering if we'll find out spoiler[exactly what happened to their parents], and spoiler[how she originally became a Hero].

Holy crap, that spoiler[wasn't what I was expecting to see].

That was a really good episode. But the spoiler[alternate ending made me cry].

Interesting, this is setting up to be spoiler[another Togo-centric episode]. I suppose that spoiler[episode 2 was still a set-up episode], so spoiler[couldn't qualify as a character episode for her]. As well, we still need to learn spoiler[what happened to her, and why the ribbon is significant]. Huh, spoiler[Togo's parents seemed to know a bit of what was going on]. I wonder if spoiler[she had been a hero before]? Possibly spoiler[one of the girl in the bed's partners]?

As an aside, an annoyance with this, that's part of a bigger pet peeve of mine. The name of the show is "Yuki Yuna is a Hero." Every time Yuna introduces herself, she says "Yuki Yuna." Yet the subtitles still say "Yuna Yuki." Is it really such a problem for them to leave the Japanese name order in a series when the NAME of the series has Japanese name order in it?!

I like how they've spoiler[brought everything around full-circle], by spoiler[showing us how they got to the point of the start of the series].

Well, looks like spoiler[I was right on a few things regarding Togo]. And now we have explanation for spoiler[why Togo had 3 faeries to start with]. And, of course, they're spoiler[not going to let us know what the girl said].

Wow, is spoiler[their city all that's left of the world]? Or spoiler[is the Hero system just for the entertainment of those outside]? Maybe spoiler[not]. Hmm, interesting direction we're going now.

Is the ED song different here? It sounds much more acoustic than before.

Oh man, spoiler[Karin is going all out], I'm not sure spoiler[how she can survive]. It seems like spoiler[she's lost an arm, a leg, something having to do with her neck...].

And here we are, at the last episode. It's been quite an interesting trip. Umm, Yuna... spoiler[you're supposed to slap, not punch]!

Seeing spoiler[them seeming to get their abilities back] while spoiler[Yuna's catatonic] is hard, but spoiler[I love their strength and belief in her].

Watching spoiler[Togo's break-down], which spoiler[lead to Yuna's recovery] spoiler[was wonderful]. Followed by spoiler[them walking like in the ED, but with Togo and Yuna's positions reversed]. Seeing spoiler[their play at the end, echoing their conviction], as well as spoiler[the other girl's recovery] was spoiler[an incredibly uplifting way to end the series]. And I loved spoiler[the final ED, showing all of them walking together].

I really liked this series, and I'm glad that it was on the list for the marathon, or I might never have seen it. I can see why it's compared to spoiler[Madoka and Daybreak Illusion], and I think that I'd probably rank it spoiler[above Madoka, and really close to DBI (which I loved, personally)]. I would have liked for it to get a few more episodes, just so that it didn't feel as rushed, but I think that 2 cour would have been too long. Maybe a cour and a half? Too bad they don't schedule things like that.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
Apparently, the first 6 episodes will be from the trilogy movies. So if you've seen those, it's pretty much the same from news I've heard.

The new episode contents begins in November.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/34284/Yuuki_Yuuna_wa_Yuusha_de_Aru__Washio_Sumi_no_Shou
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:55 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

I think the first weird thing is that despite the name of the series there is no Yuuki Yuna, at least for the first half of this season. But I also did not recognise the trio, until the end recognising that Washio spoiler[is Togo], it has been a while since I have watched the first season, and also recognising Sonoko also. It is going to make this a weird experience knowing where this is going.

Not sure if I should watch the first season again, but the music here was a real treat.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Been sitting on the movies for awhile but I finally finished NoWaYu so I figured I should watch them. Even though there are no real spoilers since the outcome of WaSuYu was spelled out in the first season i wont say anything beyind what the TV episodes cover.

I like they kept the opening Hero Records in. Those were usually the most tense filled bits of the chapters despite being single page images. The censorship is really effective.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I see the TV showing is adding more Hero Records in. Nice.

The 3 movies are actually only 45 minutes each so this is the end of the second movie. I like how Sumi goes in thinking she's the responsible leader type and her main character status would make you think she'd be the one to take the reigns. But in the end she realises her shortcomings and that Sonoko isn't to be underestimated.

Of course we already knew a bit about those two from the first season. Gin is the fresh face here so we get a more extended look into her life. Her willingness to help people would make her fit in perfectly with the Hero Club but sadly we know she's not going to get that chance.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Remind me if I am wrong, but isn't the super up powered moves the thing that turns out not to be free and causes a kickback if used? Because Gin has been pretty liberal at using them.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Gin hasn't been using any super moves, let alone Mankai.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 3

"This is where we part ways."
Yeah, that is totally not ominous in a way that contrast with the very light episode. Feels like things are really about to happen.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:30 am Reply with quote
The hell was this episode? I get it's the 'calm before the storm', but even so it was pretty unhinged. I tend to like odd choices but most of this one fell a bit flat.

The parts that did make me laugh were Washii getting the bad comments on her navy otaku story, and then getting the hate mail.

I also liked the song (CG characters in the dance aside). Despite the silly lyrics, the music itself was legitimately good, and the idea of them going 'too far' with the kids was funny. And it kind of does fit with the rest of the themes of this thing.

Still this ep was mostly a bit of a waste.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the wacky humour of episode 3. It is very likely the last dose of "lightness" will get with this trio. My least favourite parts of this franchise are the fights. I don't find the visual arena all that fascinating and basically I'm just tapping my toe until the "action" is over. I am much more invested in the after-affects of the battles and seeing the characters interact.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 4

Worst fears confirmed. This series, structurally, follows the first. In the first, the big gut punch came in the second half of the 8th episode, or 2/3rds the way through. Same here. I'm still hoping that things aren't what they seem, but... *sigh*
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:57 pm Reply with quote
A true man dies on their feet~

When YuYuYu first aired everyone thought it'd become another Madoka type of thing full of character deaths and such. But it went a different route instead becoming a show that actively avoided killing anyone off. "This franchise doesn't kill anyone" took root in our minds, making it that much more effective when some one does die.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:59 pm Reply with quote
It would have been even more of a gut punch if, because of the lack of mention of Gin in the first series, there hadn't aready been a sense of foreboding around her from the start. I was just hoping against hope that that lack of mention didn't mean what I thought it might... *SIGH!*
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, you're certainly not the only one who thought she might have a different future.

But yeah, it's more effective in the original novel run because it happened concurrently with the first season and Sumi's true identity was a secret.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:32 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I kind of really knew that Gin was going to die. A mixture of no mention in the first series, and some pretty heavy death flags, like I commented with the previous episode with when Gin said that she would go a different way from them, to talking with her brothers like how the youngest might get moving around soon. Also to be honest, it kind of had been weight down on stopping me from letting my guard down in terms of her, or really with the other girls. spoiler[One will be a full paraplegic, and the other loses use of legs and her memory].

Three at once was kind of unfair, and maybe why a larger group would be better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11