• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuki Yuna is a Hero (TV) (all seasons + movies).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I think this show has a decent balance of slice of life and the supernatural elements. With the latest episode spoiler[being focused on Itsuki and her singing, it has more of a slice of life tone. Still, that cliffhanger will definitely start the war against Vertex again next time.]

Hopefully, the girls can get their job done without trouble....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

There are some real spoiler[ominous tones coming from the end of this episode], based on earlier remarks it looks like they are planning something big. Although, as someone who has knowledge of the tarot, Death is not actually a really bad or ominous, it is actually more of an indication of endings, that bring beginnings, and change. Really actually quite fitting since she wanted to change.

At this point Gyuki is hilarious. One thing I worry about, it is that Togo is almost always being pushed, I have not seen her yet move her wheelchair. I had heard that it is important for those in a wheelchair to have some independence, especially for their self esteem.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

That was spoiler[easier than] expected, no spoiler[tragedy happened. Granted that it was kind of cool how they ended up exhausted after going "mankai" till the point you could kind of consider them casualties]. The spoiler[flower entering atmosphere] was especially cool. It all feels a little off, it is still fairly early. Lately I have been thinking that this show has some great ideas to do with the combat, but there is something missing.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Quite an exciting episode. So now we have spoiler[apparently defeated all of the Vertex even though we're only halfway through the show?] That can't be right, something big is definitely happening next episode...
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

The girls spoiler[who used a power boost] in the last episode spoiler[are definitely suffering side effects from their power up]. What did they draw on, and spoiler[is it _really_ temporary]? I don't recall the date for Tougo's last spreadsheet update, but spoiler[it's showing the persistence of the effects].

Was Yuna's spoiler["We have plenty of time" a real flag-raising at the end of the episode, or just a tease]?

I'm enjoying this series much more than I expected after watching the first episode, and I hope that that continues...
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I got this weird feeling that their spoiler[current conditions might not be temporary. If it's permanent, then it could be real trouble for the girls...]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Having one of the characters die last episode would have been predictable and overused. However spoiler[each girl having a different disability] makes for a far more interesting and unique development. It's pretty clear spoiler[it won't be temporary] which will affect those involved in different ways. spoiler[Itsuki] will probably be hit the hardest since spoiler[the dream she had finally found is now destroyed.]
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh man for me this episode was just too sad. Having 4 of 5 spoiler[now disabled in one way or another] seems like a high price to pay. Personally I would hate to have spoiler[Yuuna's disability. I took medication once in the hospital that did something similar. It's not very tolerable when your taste disappears or gets changed]

But this is giving off too much "calm before the storm" vibe.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:17 pm Reply with quote
This will likely go one of two ways. Either spoiler[the disabilities are the start of some kind of evil transformation ala Madoka], or the girls are going to be spoiler[permanently disabled] and this show is going to shift fully away from magical girl to heavy, heavy, heavy moe.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

At the start of the episode when they were having tests done, I think that I had a revelation of exactly what has been happening. I think it may be that they have been tricked. I theorise that spoiler[the Vertex are at least the elements of a previous hero, and they are sent out for the purpose of making stronger Vertex by making the heroes stronger in fighting them]. Now this might have something to do with spoiler[their phone taken, their missing ability, or the fairy. Of notice was Yuki's fairy Gyuki, eating a lot of food and Yuki losing her sense of taste afterwards]. They may have spoiler[some part in creating another Vertex]. It could be the spoiler[Mankai], or perhaps Karin has not spoiler[realised something like she has lost like a sense of pain or something similar].

Another possibility is something I read elsewhere is the fact Togo spoiler[had 3 fairies, and we knew that before this she had lost the ability to walk and also had some memory problems]. Perhaps she was spoiler[one in the past and it was why she did not want to fight at first the memory problem she supposedly had from an accident has made her forget]. This would mean that spoiler[Fairies are not what becomes a Vertex], only an indicator of being a hero.

On a note of this episode in general, I found all the spoiler[chuuni stuff] from Fuu were very funny. Why did the military part sound so familiar? I see she voiced Mio from Sabagebu which could be why.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
So spoiler[new threats are coming soon huh? I hope the girls will be ready when that happens then. As for the latest episode, I thought it was funny and cute with the beach setting, ghost stories, and crab food.]

Also, I wonder how long their defects will last..
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:01 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Also, I wonder how long their defects will last..

I think the end pretty much confirmed it, thspoiler[ey get a fairy each time they participate, Togo had 3 so she very well participated twice before]. I am pretty sure she mentioned that spoiler[the doctors don't see a physical reason she cannot use her legs, and with her memory loss it seems likely both are from previous times and have not healed yet, there has been no healing]. I think the episode also showed that spoiler[Togo had extensive knowledge of the Taishou, which could be that she read the app thoroughly, or there is more to it].

I think Karen is the cutest for looking to have the most fun and seeming to change a little. And these episodes are a real shame for one of the voice actresses, not even grunts or other sound effects. You would think she would have at least a whistle.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
The Moe was out in full force this episode. It wasn't terrible though. Episode 7 was basically just slice-of-life cute girl stuff for the most part. It wasn't a surprise to me to have an episode like this now, as the forced disability aspect of the girls' victory over vertexes is like a Moe dream come true. Again though, it was a fairly pleasant episode so there no knock at it being slice-of-life based.

As for the fan service, it was very minimal - surprisingly so. The beach scene didn't seem to have much if any lingering butt shots/crotch shots. The bath scene was obviously a bit more service-oriented, but wasn't outrageously so. One thing that I do keep wondering when I see shows like this is how exactly is it that these anime middle school girls are always so stacked? Who writes that stuff? :0 (Yes, total rhetorical question.)
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
As for the fan service, it was very minimal - surprisingly so.

For what it is worth Karin has the cutest bod. We could have used more exposure and less steam of course.

WTF does anyone need a wheelchair in the bath for? Those things are only 2-3 feet deep you can sit on the bottom of it easy.

Interesting how none of the girls even Fu-sempai has much to say about boys. Other than extras in the class room they are total non-presence in this anime.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
WTF does anyone need a wheelchair in the bath for? Those things are only 2-3 feet deep you can sit on the bottom of it easy.

Yeah, especially when you come equipped with built in floatation devices.

Actually it's pretty neat to see how accessable things are for people with disabilities in this world. From that floating wheelchair, to making sure to add the ISA to the back of that van.

HaruhiToy wrote:
Interesting how none of the girls even Fu-sempai has much to say about boys. Other than extras in the class room they are total non-presence in this anime.

Don't you know how these female dominated casts work? They're all lesbians so why would they waste time with the inferior gender?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11