• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yona of the Dawn (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lys

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:47 am Reply with quote
I generally agree that vocals keep me more interested in music, but that has the flipside of completely turning me off to a song/musician if I don't like the vocals, even if the instrumental accompaniment is divinely beautiful...

However, the first Yona OP was just plain gorgeous and perfect and I never once got tired of sitting through it before the episode began (there are VERY few anime I would say that for). The new OP isn't bad but I'm not used to it yet and I agree with some of the other opinions I've seen, that it doesn't quite match the series/imagery it accompanies. As for the reused images, I'm hoping that's a matter of "whoops, we weren't finished yet!" like how the first OP also had some changes added part-way.

I never liked the first ED (see my comment about vocals) so the new one's a great improvement for me :) The art looks especially manga-esque, which can only be a good thing!

Su-won did spend a lot of time being cute this episode but it didn't bother me. He gets better... (yes, yes, it's easy to be patient when you already know the story.)
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:14 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I can't say that I understand why anyone would find this series "boring", xyz. Confused

I definitely would understand. The pacing is painfully slow. I still enjoy this, but I'd like to see some conflicts. After the first few episodes it has been this lighthearted adventure. How about some politic struggles for Soo-won? What about a villain for Yona and her friends to defeat? Maybe this isn't that kind of a show (shoujo), but they gave us a taste of that excitement in the early episodes and I've sort of been waiting to get more of that.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:27 am Reply with quote
lys wrote:

I never liked the first ED (see my comment about vocals) so the new one's a great improvement for me Smile The art looks especially manga-esque, which can only be a good thing!

I liked the first ED because the still shots always got me really excited to see what was coming next (character wise). I thought all the images they used were really lovely. That being said I did love the song too.

I also really like this 2nd ending song as it is very pretty but the animation and images bore me a bit.

As for this series being slow I can see why some may think that but I tend to like slow character drama. I love how more and more characters are joining Yona's group and we are watching the relationships form between them. I also like how Yona is slowly learning more about herself but also about the world around her.

The part when she heard that people didn't like her father as king was very well done and what they did to her because obviously she loved her father and he was always very good to her.

Yona's story reminds me a bit of Shoukei's story in the twelve kingdoms. Except Yona's father was not a bad man, probably just an ineffective King with good ideals (but ideals don't necessarily make a good ruler). I think it adds a lot of complexities to the story and also makes Soo Won a more interesting character.

I still think Soo Won made the wrong decision but maybe he had a good reason. Although does the end justify the means? Obviously Soo Won isn't a straight villain. So far I don't think we met a straight villain in the story.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yona's story reminds me a bit of Shoukei's story in the twelve kingdoms. Except Yona's father was not a bad man, probably just an ineffective King with good ideals (but ideals don't necessarily make a good ruler). I think it adds a lot of complexities to the story and also makes Soo Won a more interesting character.

I am not so sure that Yona's father was such a good person. It is not like we know a lot about him. He had affection for Yona, but Shoukei's father also cared about Shoukei.

I agree that Yona's story is similar to Shoukei's story. They were both spoiled and kept in ignorance. Neither Yona nor Shoukei could leave the palace, etc.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:

I agree that Yona's story is similar to Shoukei's story. They were both spoiled and kept in ignorance. Neither Yona nor Shoukei could leave the palace, etc.

See though I am not getting that even from Hak's words defending the king. As Hak said he would not have followed the king if he was a fool and I think Hak would have followed the King even less if he thought he was a bad person.

Shoukei's father was a bad man who did horrible things to his people and knew he was doing horrible things to his people. I don't get that from Yona's father. I think what makes Shoukei and Yona similar is they lived in ignorance to what was happening in their country but I do think their fathers were not the same.

I think the story is making the point that a good man with nice ideals (no war and violence) doesn't automatically make a good king.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:59 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

See though I am not getting that even from Hak's words defending the king. As Hak said he would not have followed the king if he was a fool and I think Hak would have followed the King even less if he thought he was a bad person.

Shoukei's father was a bad man who did horrible things to his people and knew he was doing horrible things to his people. I don't get that from Yona's father. I think what makes Shoukei and Yona similar is they lived in ignorance to what was happening in their country but I do think their fathers were not the same.

I think Yona's father may have been acting, simply playing a role of peace-loving king just like Soo-won seems to be an airheaded person at first glance. He may have done it well enough for the most people from his closest circle not to notice anything. It just may theory based on the fact that Soo-won accused him of murdering his father and Soo-won doesn't look like someone who is easily manipulated. As for Hake, I would not put so much faith in him. After all he didn't notice that Soo-won was planning a coup and was as surprised as Yona. Besides, he was not able to ascertain that palace gourds are loyal to either him or the king - a skill which is key in the position he held.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
It just may theory based on the fact that Soo-won accused him of murdering his father and Soo-won doesn't look like someone who is easily manipulated.

Or he may have been responsible for the death of Soo-Won's father indirectly by not engaging in war.

Anyways the king wanting peace and not war doesn't seem to be an act since it seems to be the number one complaint against him.

Also I don't think Hak necessarily judges people wrongly. Yes he may have not seen what Soo-Won was planning but perhaps he wasn't wrong in judging Soo-Won as a good man.

But we will just have to wait and see.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Aylinn wrote:
It just may theory based on the fact that Soo-won accused him of murdering his father and Soo-won doesn't look like someone who is easily manipulated.

Or he may have been responsible for the death of Soo-Won's father indirectly by not engaging in war.

Actually, Soo-won's accusation was a lot more specific than that. He didn't just say "King Il killed my father." He said, "King Il, that king who decried the use of weapons over anything else, used a sword to kill my father." That implies a more hands-on sort of murder.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you overall. There's a lot we don't know yet, but I can't believe that King Il's ideals were a total lie. In fact, even now there seems to be a faint sense that Soo-won has a certain regard for King Il as a person, if not as a king.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
I think Yona's father may have been acting, simply playing a role of peace-loving king just like Soo-won seems to be an airheaded person at first glance. He may have done it well enough for the most people from his closest circle not to notice anything. It just may theory based on the fact that Soo-won accused him of murdering his father and Soo-won doesn't look like someone who is easily manipulated. As for Hake, I would not put so much faith in him. After all he didn't notice that Soo-won was planning a coup and was as surprised as Yona. Besides, he was not able to ascertain that palace gourds are loyal to either him or the king - a skill which is key in the position he held.

I think the exact opposite as you do. I think that Soo-won *does* look like someone who is easily manipulated, and I think he *is* being manipulated. We don't know what evidence he has that King Il murdered his father, either: was he told that's how it happened, did he see it himself? Who knows?

We also don't know what King Il's actual policies were, but we can see that "on the ground" the kingdom wasn't being run very well. OTOH, we saw in The Twelve Kingdoms how even a ruler with good intentions can have her will perverted or denied on a local level -- that was the whole main plot of one of the books. So it is possible that King Il tried to institute good policies, but that they weren't carried out. I suspect that we'll learn the truth of that over time, but as of the previous episode (I haven't watched this latest one yet), we don't know that.

In regards to the similarities between Yona and Shoukei: one thing to keep in mind is that Shoukei was an immortal for a long while, and was generally unaware of what was going on for *decades* -- she was much older than Youko, though she didn't look it, and much older than Yona, who is only 16 years old. Yona has somewhat more of an excuse for not knowing what was going on than Shoukei, and I agree that King Il didn't seem like the ruthless man Shoukei's father was. The scene where King Il stopped a sword with his hand, causing it to bleed... that left a pretty strong impression on me, as it did on Hak, I think.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:

Actually, Soo-won's accusation was a lot more specific than that. He didn't just say "King Il killed my father." He said, "King Il, that king who decried the use of weapons over anything else, used a sword to kill my father." That implies a more hands-on sort of murder.

I admit I did forget this, well can't remember everything. Smile

And yes those words are very specific.

Although I think my main point is both Soo-Won and King Il seem to be complex characters that can't be summed up in shades of black & white.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Maybe King Il was like that one teacher everyone had at one point: bad at their job but will be your best friend. Anime hyper
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I get the feeling that there's a side to King Il and his reign that we have yet to see. He might have been more cunning than he appeared.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I get the feeling that there's a side to King Il and his reign that we have yet to see. He might have been more cunning than he appeared.

You can't be *too* clever if you die by getting gutted like a fish by a teenager.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I know!

Plot twist: IT WAS PLANNED!!

Maybe Il pulled a Dumbledore. Anime hyper
xyz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Of course King Il hated weapons. In his rage, he grabbed the sword and killed his brother. From then on, it was no weapon or no weapon. If the back story is actually like that, I'll fall off my chair.

But anyways, I think the pace doesn't necessarily makes the story boring. It's more like how the story is told. There is an air of vagueness that covers this story and they're not using time wisely to fill in the details. Or maybe it is what it is. Vagueness is the tone of this story. That wouldn't be a problem if it's characters driven. It isn't for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 30