• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yona of the Dawn (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Was still expecting this to mostly be pretty boys fanservice reverse harem, but with this episode I think that it looks quite promising, actually feels quite fun. I was a little sceptical but this might be quite good. I want to see how she goes from sad princess to archer general.

Also looks quite obvious that Soo-Yon has spoiler[been manipulated, either it was his father that drew the blade, or someone had him killed for the plan of Soo-Yon usurping the throne. But now he has done the deed and looks like he is trying to justify his actions].
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm having a hard time liking this.
It's just missing the right kind of vibe for me I guess..
I mean, it's not bad or anything like that.
Hak is the best character so far.
Yona simply annoys me for some reason.
The ending of the episode peaked my interest though.
Can't seem to decide to keep it or drop it.
Will give it one more episode.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Argh. I was afraid that the beginning might be spoiler[just a prologue.] I would have rather wanted to see more of Hak and Yona spoiler[escaping from the bad guys together.]
lys

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Argh. I was afraid that the beginning might be spoiler[just a prologue.] I would have rather wanted to see more of Hak and Yona spoiler[escaping from the bad guys together.]

Based on the preview at the end, ep3 should continue where it left off with the spoiler[escape to the forest/mountains.] I think the reason the story keeps breaking the chronology is to keep people interested who might otherwise get impatient with Yona's current spoiled-princess/in-shock/"useless" self. (but I love her exactly because she spoiler[starts out that way and grows believably into someone much more determined, considerate, and courageous.])
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
As my first order of business as King, I will put a halt to the practice of soaking all tapestries in kerosine.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
Based on the preview at the end, ep3 should continue where it left off with the spoiler[escape to the forest/mountains.] I think the reason the story keeps breaking the chronology is to keep people interested who might otherwise get impatient with Yona's current spoiled-princess/in-shock/"useless" self. (but I love her exactly because she spoiler[starts out that way and grows believably into someone much more determined, considerate, and courageous.])

Really? That's great. I didn't watch the preview. I love the reaction from Yona so far, not in a sadistic way. She being pretty much in spoiler[denial] is completely understandable and I want to see how she'll go past all that.

And with Hak around and Yona spoiler[being like a big sign that says "hold me"], I hope to see something sweet.

Last edited by Cam0 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
lys wrote:
I think the reason the story keeps breaking the chronology is to keep people interested who might otherwise get impatient with Yona's current spoiled-princess/in-shock/"useless" self.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I've never seen a series spend so much of its run-time (not even counting the preview) showing us what's going to happen. I got the feeling they were saying, "We promise, it gets better. We know she's irritating, and she'll be whiny and weepy for another episode or so, but then, look! She really will become awesome! Keep watching!"
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:16 am Reply with quote
I feel the flash forward in this episode was a bit awkward. There was already a flash forward in the beginning of the first episode so this wasn't needed in my opinion.

Otherwise I really liked the episode. Was especially surprised that one guy who let them get out of the castle died. I expected him to join Hak & the princess.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
Watched the first two episodes last night. It was pretty decent, and the princess is certainly easy on the eyes. If I had any complaints, it is that the series hasn't done a very good job building up tension. The closest it got was when someone seemed to go after the Princess (before Stuff Happened) and she ran away into a room. But other than that, everything was so matter-of-fact. Even with what happened with King Il seemed to just... happen. It wasn't particularly shocking or anything, so while I could intellectually sympathize with the Princess, there wasn't any visceral feel to it at all on my part. And that's how it felt for me for pretty much the entire two episodes.

Additionally, I'm wondering how spoiler[Pretty Boy knew his father had been murdered by the King in the past, or whether, if it did happen, it was because his father really did plan on taking the kingdom from his younger brother.]

Oh, and one last thing: this show has a *very* Asian/Chinese feel to it. Yes, I know it is anime, but some anime can feel very Western (like FMA), other anime can feel like it isn't particularly attached to any place, but this anime feels very Eastern to me. I don't think that's a bad thing, it's just something I noticed while watching this.
lys

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Oh, and one last thing: this show has a *very* Asian/Chinese feel to it. Yes, I know it is anime, but some anime can feel very Western (like FMA), other anime can feel like it isn't particularly attached to any place, but this anime feels very Eastern to me. I don't think that's a bad thing, it's just something I noticed while watching this.

From what I've heard, the creator based her setting on ancient Korea (with fantasy elements). The names give that impression too :) I like when fantasy settings seem tied to a specific region/time period/aesthetic, because if everything looks consistent, it feels a lot more believable and immersive to me (and certainly more interesting than generic-fantasyland with whatever cobbled-together elements happened to catch the artist's eye).
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
It DOES feel very Korean! If you told me this was based on a manhwa by Kara (Angel Diaries, Legend etc), I'd completely believe you....because it feels just like that.

Second episode was waaaaaay better than the first. I'm looking forward to more. I will not criticize Yona for being unable to do much right now; she doesn't know how to fight yet and she's in total shock like anyone WOULD be. Poor girl. :[ Keep hugging Hak. You'll be okay. :]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
So does that mean Soo-Yon will make his country glorious through ridiculous marches, inequality, biased media, and ineffective missile technology that he will use to try and bully other nations? I tried to think of more, but all I could think of was The Adventuresof Kim Jong Un.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
To toss in my two cents, the show instantly ensnared me, and only two shows managed to do so in the past (Law of Ueki and one other, I can't remember the name but I was eager to find out what happens next.....) so I don't doubt that this meet my expectations. For a while I thought I was Slice of Life person, but now I know that I am more of fantasy anime fan. So yeah. I like the show so far. That's all I can say. I may sound a little biased, but that's it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

More of an insight on theirspoiler[ past again.] I think spoiler[Yona was cute when she was little. I wonder if we could ever see that smile again in the present timeline after what happened...]

And also, she should be spoiler[careful of the wilderness and creatures like snakes if she wants to survive to see Soo-Won ever again.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote
Transition from the past to the present was definitely rushed.
Still, they make that up with flashbacks to the past.
But, the rest of the plot in between seems slow-ish.
A weird combination.
This anime is balancing between comedy, serious & plain messing around.
Dropping it after all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 30