• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yona of the Dawn (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm disappointed at Hak for spoiler[letting Yona do something so dangerous without atleast attempting to argue against it.]

And Jeaha: spoiler[Yona is off limits for you so you better keep your hands to yourself. I dearly hope that Jeaha doesn't develop any romantic feelings towards Yona. I wouldn't stand for it!]
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
That honey scene was really something...
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, all I can think about is how hard that sticky residue would be to get off without modern hygiene technology.

Chiwa Saito's voice acting really gets to shine this episode.
lys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Natural honey dissolves fairly easily in water, in my experience. And since they're near the sea, water for washing shouldn't be in short supply :)

As a reminder, since the earlier posts got lost, Yona volume 17 is out next month in Japan, along with a novel based on the series!! I can't waaaaait~
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
As a reminder, since the earlier posts got lost, Yona volume 17 is out next month in Japan, along with a novel based on the series!! I can't waaaaait~

Personally, I just can't wait to see what the sales are like. I'd guess that they'd probably be a major deciding factor in whether or not we get a second season.
lys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
All the more reason for everyone to preorder/import it!!!... :D

(Kinokuniya has free shipping in the US for orders $50+. they sell english manga as well if you need to reach free shipping, or you can split an order with a local friend. CDJapan is another good option if you just want one or two items—otherwise shipping can get a bit pricy for several books. or Amazon JP for super-speedy shipping!)
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Best episode yet.

Oh, there was so much to love about this episode. Watching an animated Ao is worth the price of the ticket itself. There are just so many little moments with him acting adorable or funny. I'm really impressed with the animators for not leaving him as just a prop. He's almost always doing something entertaining when he's on the screen, completely irrelevant to what's going on. Also, a big hurrah to Chiwa Saito's voice acting for Yona this episode! She genuinely sounded scared at the beginning with her wobbly voice. Heck, everyone did a great job. Also, the adapted humor is so well-done, and I love the different ways they do it. Sometimes, the inner thoughts of the characters are written out on screen so as not to take up time from the episode. Sometimes the characters go chibi. Oftentimes, it's whatever Ao is doing at the moment. The banter is well-delivered.

This anime is both a really great product in its own right and an amazing adaptation. I'm currently in the middle of the second season of Story of Saiunkoku (another great series with an awesome female lead), so I'm really appreciating that Yona of the Dawn was actually given a good budget for the animation.

willag wrote:
(Minor spoiler predictions in regards to the manga) spoiler[If we assume that each episode covers about two chapters, this is how it will play out. Episode 18 covers chapters 29 and 30 (the previews seem to support that). Episode 19 will cover chapters 31 and 32 (it might even touch a little on chapter 33... I'm not entirely certain it'd end with Hak's, er, greed. Perhaps after Gigan's inspiring speech mid-chapter 33).]

I was partially right with my prediction in regards to this episode! They had the ending music play over part of the last bit - which I love by the way (I really like it when series do that because it makes the moment more dramatic) - but they were able to squeeze some of it in.

Cam0 wrote:
I'm disappointed at Hak for spoiler[letting Yona do something so dangerous without atleast attempting to argue against it.]

Actually, something I really appreciate about both this series and Saiunkoku is how much the surrounding characters trust and let the female leads make decisions for themselves. They give them room to grow and make mistakes. Yes, they still protect them when needed, but oftentimes Yona and Shuurei have to rely upon their own wits and inner strength to overcome obstacles. They deliberately make their own decisions and run with it. Of course, this can interfere with the "romantic fantasy" angle where you don't see the romantic interest rescue the girl or inadvertently express his feelings through his frantic worries. But that stuff is a dime-a-dozen in shoujo series, so I really like it when I can witness the overprotective guys pull themselves back and just trust the girl, and then have the girl prove to herself and everyone else that she can do it. (And I guess you could argue that it still happens this episode with Jaeha rescuing Yona in that one part, but he otherwise also held himself back. Also, I don't expect nor want her to become an expert at everything - she was out of her league here that only really trained people or those with special abilities could handle).

As an aside, yes, the damsel in distress trope can be appreciated by the fans of a couple, because it allows the fans to see the guy worry about the girl he has feelings for... it fits into the romantic fantasy we appreciate, as long as the trope isn't overused. And such a trope is still present within Yona of the Dawn, specifically in regards to Sinha's arc. Yona becomes trapped and we see Hak's desperation to save her.

Yona and Shuurei feel different from heroines like Miaka, who was always constantly saved by everyone around her. Miaka took actions to save others and played an active role within Fushigi Yugi, but often her actions weren't deliberate or thought-out, and were mostly done to present those "romantic fantasy" scenarios. Her decisions often lead to her needing to be rescued. It can fulfill an immediate inner romantic desire for the fan, but often leads one feeling hollow about the character. I know I squeed several times the first time I read the manga of Fushigi Yugi. But I never grew to like Miaka. With Yona and Shuurei, I primarily love the series for the characters; the shipping potential is a bonus, which is the way I prefer it.

Hell, I'm having a strong desire to rewatch this episode again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:02 pm Reply with quote
^ I remember when early reviews said it was clearly going to be a series about the female lead needing to be protected. How wrong that turned out to be.

I also love how Hak has to struggle with wanting to protect Yona to letting her go. I am sure it was extremely difficult for Hak to have Yona be in a dangerous situation but he can't always hold her hand. And Yona wouldn't want Hak to do that.

Right now my week's consist of Tuesday's and then all other days.

As for Miaka I think she does get a lot of unfair hate but as far as leading female characters I also prefer Yona and Shuurei.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:20 am Reply with quote
^Actually, I remember reading a post by someone in the comments thread of the Preview Guide that Yona grows stronger and more self-sufficient such that she doesn't need to be rescued. In fact, the person wished that Hak rescued Yona more often (the "romantic fantasy"). Once I read that, I knew I had to check out the series.

Yeah, I can be kinda harsh on Miaka. The main character for these series can really make or break my enjoyment. I've grown to have more expectations over time, and with it my favorable impressions of FY have declined. I loved it the first time I read it (which was around 1999), but I don't really think the series is better than Decent now. Too many better fantasy series I've seen since then. (The music from the series is still really great though). Heck, Yuu Watase even one-upped herself with Genbu Kaiden. Genbu Kaiden didn't take the fandom by storm like the original did, but I do feel it improves upon the original and has a better main character.

Anyways, just finished watching the episode a second time. And I'll probably watch it a third time when Funimation releases the simuldub. I'm curious to hear the VA do Yona for this part.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lys

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:04 am Reply with quote
Wait, Funimation's doing a simuldub??? Or going to do one? Or is this something you're assuming they will do eventually? I hadn't heard anything about it.

My first thought when Hak didn't try to stop Yona was that he understood it would probably be one of those times she wasn't going to back down, so trying to persuade her was futile. But I think the idea of trust that willag suggests is important too. And I agree with the point about the dangers of relying too much on the damsel-in-distress trope for romantic moments. Especially if the damsel is the one constantly getting herself into danger/trouble (through ignorance or willfulness or what have you), it gets hard to enjoy the moment when I'm also going "Why are you being stupid?!" (or sometimes (because I don't like hating on girls, even if they're badly written) "poor thing, your creator won't let you get anything right...")

Anyway, I continue to really appreciate the balance Yona shows, showing courage and daring when she needs to, but also listening to her companions when there is a need for caution; and the balance in the writing too, letting her grow stronger and more capable without it being too sudden a transformation.

later volume manga spoiler: spoiler[Now I've got volume 14-15 in my head (the swordfight and aftermath) and aaah, what fascinating character moments, showing both the "frantic worry" side as well as Yona's capability, and all the different emotions that arise from the combination.] I'll keep saying it: I dearly, desperately want to see this manga published in English!
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
Sorry, I was wrong to call it a simuldub. It's not quite that quick of a turnaround time. But it is a quick dub for Funi in comparison to waiting for the physical release. Funimation Dubs Assassination Classroom, Death Parade, Tokyo Ghoul √A, 7 More Winter Shows

The other Broadcast Dubs will air as follows:
  • The Rolling Girls on Saturdays at 12:58 p.m. starting February 21
  • World Break: Aria of Curse for a Holy Swordsman on Sundays at 11:05 a.m. starting February 22
  • Kamisama Kiss Season 2 on Mondays at 1:35 p.m. starting February 23
  • Absolute Duo on Mondays at 1 p.m. starting March 16
  • Yuri Kuma Arashi on Mondays at 1:30 p.m. starting March 16
  • Yona of the Dawn Season 2 on Tuesdays at 10 a.m. starting March 17
  • Maria the Virgin Witch on Sundays at 9:30 a.m. starting March 22
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 18

I guess that you can see how huge the gap would be when you compare Yona to what she was like when Hak had to force her to follow him, spoiler[and how she can be frozen in fear and still go forward]. Undoubtedly that situation spoiler[would be really scary, seeing her rightfully scared helped give the scene impact]. A good episode.

And Ao, no need to actually focus on his cuteness, just having him in the background doing whatever thing he is doing can make a scene without actually impacting much of what is happening in it. Standouts are the spoiler[fish and that he was rolling around eating what was left in the pot of honey].

From the preview there looks like something interesting with Yun.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:13 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
But that stuff is a dime-a-dozen in shoujo series, so I really like it when I can witness the overprotective guys pull themselves back and just trust the girl, and then have the girl prove to herself and everyone else that she can do it.

Of course I appreciate that Yona gets a chance to prove herself.spoiler[ I simply thought that because of recent events Hak had grown to be even more protective of Yona. I think Hak said it himself that because of what happened in that cave he is going to be even more protective of her than before. I think it's great that Hak in particular has to struggle with not just his obvious love for Yona, but also with how protective he should be.]

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I also love how Hak has to struggle with wanting to protect Yona to letting her go. I am sure it was extremely difficult for Hak to have Yona be in a dangerous situation but he can't always hold her hand. And Yona wouldn't want Hak to do that.

I think Hak is in a dilemma. spoiler[While he wants to stay at Yona's side, he also wants Yona to become independent from him so that Yona would survive on her own and it would easier for him to suppress his feelings or let go of them altogether.]
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
So I just realized Yona is available to buy on ITunes. I guess Funimation has been doing this for awhile but while I have enjoyed other Funi series, Yona has been the first series of theirs in awhile that I have been really into.

So far they only have the first 1/2 but this is a way I can monetarily support the series in hopes for a home video release. I don't mind double dipping since now I can enjoy the show on my commute to work.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 20:

Solid buildup episode andspoiler[ I got some laughs from this because of the gender bender part involving Yun. I mean, he looks very much like a girl dressed like that Very Happy]

And this episode spoiler[also establishes the dangers of the operation considering Hak's concern and Yona's bit of fear at the end there. Can't wait to see how this goes down!]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 30