• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yona of the Dawn (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Remember also that, as Princess, Yona wasn't ever going to have a "real" choice in who she was to marry, so why should she ever be told about things like flirting?

Maybe she was not going to have a real choice, but she was in love. The feeling is not foreign to her, because she experienced it herself, so she should be able to recognize when people are in love based on her past experience. But unfortunately, it seems that she is clueless, because it is a shoujo industry standard.
Quote:
Also, she's known Hak since they were children, and he's always cared about her, so why should she think this is any different than always?

Because it is not usual that your best friends licks your hands and because she was in love with a childhood friend, so the idea of falling in love with a childhood friend should not be strange to her?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, we just have to accept that Yona is clueless about Hak's feelings because of shoujo. It's simply a shoujo trope that endless laughs will be wrung from the fact that the heroine can't perceive what is blindingly obvious to everyone else.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm giving Yona a pass or should say was on the whole "how is she not picking up on Haks feelings" thing because he was always teasing her and I suppose that's all she thought it was especially considering the notion that some people brought up about Yona being sheltered.
But like I said I was giving her a pass but after that honey incident AND that kabe don (?) in the last episode she should know wassup.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
In regards to Yona and Hak, another option, and one I think was mentioned much earlier in the series, is that Yona is being intentionally oblivious to Hak's feelings (and possibly her own). I can think of several reasons why she might do this, but ultimately I think it's unfair to both Hak and herself. And, in a way, if she really is doing that, she's stunting her own growth as a person.

She's been travelling around with Hak for a while now, and it's hard to believe that Yona, who has been shown to be reasonably intelligent, is that clueless. OTOH, perhaps after being betrayed by Jerkface, she now has some sort of phobia about getting romantically interested with someone... either that, or she's still carrying a torch for Jerkface (I honestly can't remember his name, and don't really want to, either). I still think this is probably the weakest aspect of the show, but I guess we'll have to see how it ends up before I completely castigate the show for it.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:30 am Reply with quote
I just watched the first 2 episodes and I like this anime and this is going to sound weird from a person that like Korean pop culture: The reason I'm watching this (and attracted to it) is because the plot of the anime feels like a historical Korean drama, and no I'm not the only one that noticed this when I brought it up on a review. This is the most promising anime I've seen out of the other anime that come out. After watching 2 episodes, I'm committed to watch this anime.

Also does anybody know if the author of the manga is a big hallyu/Korean Wave/K-drama fan? Because the plot and the trope in this anime looks like something out of a historical K-drama (which is why I'm watching this anime). The beginning of the anime looks like a trope taken from a MBC's historical K-drama.

Also this anime (and the manga) is basically screaming "Please adapt me into a live-action K-drama" the more I watched this. This is for anyone that is a K-drama fan: Do you think this anime/manga can be adapted into a K-drama? Given the Korean style setting and a plot out of a K-drama, I think it would be kind of cool to see a K-drama adaptation of Yona. I hope MBC can win the bidding right to adapt this into a K-drama given MBC's great historical K-drama record and MBC is no stranger to adapting anime/manga into live-action.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lys

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:44 am Reply with quote
The Korean influence on the setting (names/maps/etc) is interesting to note (and certainly, you're not the first to point it out :) ). I like that it grounds the fantasy-world in a realistic place and makes it consistent, rather than being a conglomeration of whatever random fantasy- and real-world-elements the author might happen to like (as I see in some other fantasy manga).

I don't think the author has any particular ties to Korea, or Korean pop culture, from what I've seen. Her last series was partly set in Pompeii, and I think she was at least as fascinated by that ancient culture as she seems to be here with ancient Korea. If the plot and tropes remind you of historical K-dramas, that might just be a similarity shared across Asian history/fantasy stories.

If some Korean producer wanted to make a drama out of it, I'm sure they could. Not being a drama-watcher, I have no idea what the likelihood of it happening is though.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
The Korean influence on the setting (names/maps/etc) is interesting to note (and certainly, you're not the first to point it out Smile ). I like that it grounds the fantasy-world in a realistic place and makes it consistent, rather than being a conglomeration of whatever random fantasy- and real-world-elements the author might happen to like (as I see in some other fantasy manga).

Yeah that was the reason why I watched this anime, the Korean setting and the K-drama-esque plotline. That and I don't see over the top ecchi fanservice.

you also wrote:
I don't think the author has any particular ties to Korea, or Korean pop culture, from what I've seen. Her last series was partly set in Pompeii, and I think she was at least as fascinated by that ancient culture as she seems to be here with ancient Korea.

Didn't know that. So I can ruled out the author being a Hallyu/K-drama fans.

Quote:
If the plot and tropes remind you of historical K-dramas, that might just be a similarity shared across Asian history/fantasy stories.

It's possible, but the reason why I pointed out to MBC's historical K-drama is because I've watched MBC drama and I've seen this trope being unique only to MBC historical drama (but it's possible other historical K-drama from KBS, and SBS could use this tropes too, I need to watch more of it). MBC has a habit of making historical dramas with female hero lead going through this trope, the old "female hero character (whether she's from a royal family or a poor family) get separated from families or her family get killed by another family member and the female hero lead run way from home or exile from the kingdom she was born in. The female lead must worked her way up to become part of the royal family." Again this is for some of MBC's historical K-dramas, I don't know about other period K-dramas or Asian dramas that use this trope. But when I watch the anime, it did felt like I was watching a period K-drama from MBC. I know you're not a drama fan/watcher, but when you're not busy and have some free time, try watching some historical K-dramas to compare to Yona of the dawn. There's 2 K-dramas that uses this trope and that's where I compared Yona of the dawn to:

Queen Seondeok: you can watch it on Dramafever, Viki, and SoompiTV. (Watch the first 2 episodes)

Empress Ki: exclusive only on Hulu, watch the first episode.

Quote:
If some Korean producer wanted to make a drama out of it, I'm sure they could. Not being a drama-watcher, I have no idea what the likelihood of it happening is though.

Given that that 2 titles recently got K-drama adaptation:

Liar Game got one (You can watch it on SoompiTV)

Nodame Cantabile recently got remade as a K-drama (which you can watch it on Dramafever)

So it wouldn't surprised me if this anime could get a K-drama adaptation. As of now, this anime is being broadcast in South Korea via Animax according to the Korean Wikipedia entry for that show. So we'll have to wait and see, but I'm keeping my finger crossed. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
This is very interesting and all; but let's keep in mind that this is not the community forum* -- in short, excessively off-topic posts cannot be tolerated here.

Just a friendly reminder/FYI.

*Just $3/month!
lys

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
The general premise of a royal figure finding him/herself exiled or displaced is definitely not unique to K-drama (or even Asian stories in general—I think any culture familiar with royalty has its stories, real and fictional, of heroes' exile and reclamation of the throne). In manga and Japanese lit, we've got recent titles like Heroic Legend of Arslan, Yona, Dawn of the Arcana, Moribito... probably a ton more I'm not thinking of. The outsider making her way into a royal family has its time/world-travel portion (Fushigi Yugi-style), but there are also series like Story of Saiunkoku or Akagami no Shirayuki-hime that have "commoner" heroines from the same world or country as the royal family. Not all those examples involve death or betrayal of family members, but that is a fairly common element of exile-stories from all over the world.

I know very well how fun it is to compare and contrast stories that use familiar elements and tropes (whether the person comparing is a fan of k-dramas, or of western fantasy novels, or any genre or medium) so I don't say this to discredit the similarities you notice. But I think there's a much larger well of inspiration across all cultures, so the similarity between two things doesn't necessarily mean Y was directly inspired by X.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
The general premise of a royal figure finding him/herself exiled or displaced is definitely not unique to K-drama (or even Asian stories in general—I think any culture familiar with royalty has its stories, real and fictional, of heroes' exile and reclamation of the throne). In manga and Japanese lit, we've got recent titles like Heroic Legend of Arslan, Yona, Dawn of the Arcana, Moribito... probably a ton more I'm not thinking of. The outsider making her way into a royal family has its time/world-travel portion (Fushigi Yugi-style), but there are also series like Story of Saiunkoku or Akagami no Shirayuki-hime that have "commoner" heroines from the same world or country as the royal family. Not all those examples involve death or betrayal of family members, but that is a fairly common element of exile-stories from all over the world.

Ah, nice to know that MBC is not the only one using this trope, I see where you're getting at. Oh and the anime you listed, haven't got chance to watch these. But it's very interesting how several reviewers (not on ANN) have compared Yona of the Dawn to Korean dramas.

Quote:
I know very well how fun it is to compare and contrast stories that use familiar elements and tropes (whether the person comparing is a fan of k-dramas, or of western fantasy novels, or any genre or medium) so I don't say this to discredit the similarities you notice. But I think there's a much larger well of inspiration across all cultures, so the similarity between two things doesn't necessarily mean Y was directly inspired by X.

No you didn't discredit me and I share that same thought. It's fun to compare this anime to a the Korean drama genre. For a while, people would think Yona of the Dawn was a anime adaptation of a K-drama or something (the last time a K-drama was adapted into a anime was Winter Sonata). But still, I'm still keeping my finger crossed for a K-drama adaptation of Yona of the Dawn, whenever I'm still watching this anime the "South Korea, adapt me into a K-drama" chanting keep growing in my head as I'm watching this. It's a nice anime and a fresh one in my opinion.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote
^As lys mentioned, the fugitive princess/prince and other similar tropes aren't uncommon to fantasy stories or fairy tales, regardless of the culture. A recent popular example is Snow White from Once Upon a Time, who became a fugitive hiding in the woods and had to learn to protect herself. Eventually, she leads the resistance to take back the kingdom from the Evil Queen Regina. The Seer and the Sword, by Victoria Hanley, has both a Prince and Princess from two separate kingdoms who are defeated/exiled. Princess Torina, a seer, is witness to her father's death and escapes. She initially avoids using her powers but eventually aids others and uses them to help overthrow the man who betrayed her father. And while the The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was Link's story, Princess Zelda had to go into hiding and became a ninja after Ganondorf overtook her kingdom.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
And while the The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was Link's story, Princess Zelda had to go into hiding and became a ninja after Ganondorf overtook her kingdom.

Ah thanks for mentioning that, I haven't played that game in a long time. Willag, I'm really liking this anime a lot. I think I'll spend maybe one day binge-watching this (along with some other stuff I need to watch).
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:01 am Reply with quote
It's Tuesday, Yun's day
Gonna simulcast on Tuesday
Everybody's lookin' forward to some more Yona, Yona
Tuesday, Ik-Soo's day
Watch the next eppie on Tuesday
Everybody's lookin' forward to some more Yona

And once the series ends, I shall go hang myself for this travesty. But only once the series ends.

Tuesday has been the new Friday ever since this show came on.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 21:

Well that was interesting and thrilling. spoiler[Gotta give a lot of credit to Yona and Yun for showing extraordinary bravery there. It ended in a cliffhanger but it looks like the White Dragon saw the signal so I expect them to locate the ship soon.]

I bet Hak is just anxious to recuse Yona and the others out of there as well.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
That really was pretty exciting, despite the minor deus ex's with spoiler[the bow and her magic eye blazes.] Wink Also nice to see the spoiler[girls find some backbone and become actors rather than plot props.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 30