• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yona of the Dawn (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Darkparu--
Seeing as this is your 1st posting, I'd like to welcome you to ANN! Cool Very Happy
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 23:

Not bad although the pacing felt slower in the second half. spoiler[I had a feeling that Soo-Won would protect Yona despite their previous experience. And by the looks of it, it looks like Yona didn't get caught.]

Anyways, I'm glad to see the spoiler[Green Dragon joining the journey.] At this rate, I hope the show gets another season because there's no way to wrap this up in the finale.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I guess it was a nice breather episode. spoiler[Yellow dragon seems to appear in the next episode] even though the next episode seems to be the last. Hmm...
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
If there isn't a TBC at the end of next week's episode I am going to be very upset.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I have yet to watch the latest episode. Instead I decided to watch the simuldub at Funimation (I feel bad for not rewatching the series on Funi yet after watching the episodes on Crunchyroll - so I'm at least going to watch all of the simuldub episodes).

So, Episode 13 is currently playing as I type this.

Holy shit, Hak has a deep voice. Like, seriously, way deep. It sounds strange on the one hand, but it doesn't sound bad. Just different.

Yun is played by a guy, so that also takes a little bit to get used to, but the voice isn't inappropriate for Yun. He at least sounds like a teenager (I am reminded of Hisoka's dub voice from Yami no Matsuei - *shudders*).

I like Gija's voice (which is also deeper).

Damn, did Sinha talk this much in the original Japanese? It sounds like he's constantly talking in his head.

Yona sounds good. There seemed to be several concerns about her VA in the announcement thread, but I think she sounds just fine as Yona.

I don't have much to add about the dub script itself, though I did notice some differences. I will need to rewatch the Japanese version first before I can make any comments. Hell, I think I'll rewatch it on Funi's site once I get done watching the new episode. I can do an episode comparison. Make this a weekly habit so that Funi actually starts getting my watch views.

======

So I decided to transcribe the dub script and subtitles of the first minute of the episode for comparative reasons.

Spoken by Sinha:
English dub wrote:
My eyes, they ache more than usual today.

Intruders? How did they get down here? That woman's voice, she's in distress. He's trying to trap her underground. I have to stop him.

[Initiation scene: Obey your master, blah blah.]

My eyes are killing me. When I touched that young woman, my blood started rushing through my veins. I thought I was going to collapse. Then I heard those voices.

[Talking about Gija] Who was that man? And why did I feel some sort of strange bond with him? The words "White Dragon" kept floating through my mind.

My blood is boiling, what a strange sensation. I've never felt anything like it before. What's happening to my eyes? Why are they aching so badly? I need to try to calm down. No one must know about my cursed power. Never again.

Funi's Subtitles wrote:
My eyes ache unusually today...

Intruders? Small, weak, woman's voice... He's going to trap her underground. No!

[Initiation scene: Obey your master, blah blah.]

My eyes hurt... When I touched that girl, I heard the voices and almost collapsed on the spot.

[Talking about Gija] There was a white dragon. Why did I think he was a white dragon?

Why is my blood boiling so hot like this? My eyes ache. Calm down! No one can find out about this power ever again...

Nobuhiko added a lot more pauses during this scene and sounded more in pain than Eric did. Eric's performance did sound a little bit like he was pained, but I got more of an impression that his Sinha was bewildered by the encounter. I'm not used to such a talkative Sinha, even within his mind. Laughing I think it'd work in the dub's favor if more pauses were taken.

Last edited by Crisha on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Double post. Surprised I am so awful.

I just watched episode 23 now. I don't have much to say about the episode itself, but the preview has me intrigued. Mild manga spoilers: spoiler[Are we getting chapters 42, 43, and 47? The scenes in the preview show Jeno from 42 and Yona wanting to learn the sword in 47. So are they skipping 43? I'm curious as to how they'll wrap it up.]

I really want a To Be Continued as well. I'm gonna be so sad to see the anime come to an end next week. Whatever shall become of my Tuesdays?!
lys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I realized I never created an account at Funi's site, so I did that tonight and took advantage of the 14-day-trial to check out the dub. (I am cheap. my excuse is that Yona is the first anime in ages that I've cared so much about.) But man, the video's all skippy and slow—is this why people complain? I'll try again tomorrow morning (I work from home) in case they just get a lot of traffic in the evenings...

Re: next ep speculation—the title of the episode spoiler[matches that of ch43, so they may try to squeeze it in too? Inspecting the preview scenes closely, the second to last one (with the full cast) shows a building in the background, which would also suggest ch43. Were you the one who guessed earlier that they might include ch47? (edit: nope, it was Darkmagick!) I'm glad they will! Should please some folks :)]

The scene that carried over from last ep was sooooo good. I was really moved by the emotions in the characters' voices and faces/body language: the cast and staff did an amazing job all around. Ugh. I don't usually go for such beautifully tragic stuff, but in this series it really hits me and I could flip through and stare at those pages of the manga forever... (I might be a weirdo about this.)

I'm also going to miss having this highlight to look forward to each Tuesday. Maybe checking out the new dubbed episodes will offer some degree of consolation...
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
But man, the video's all skippy and slow—is this why people complain? I'll try again tomorrow morning (I work from home) in case they just get a lot of traffic in the evenings...

I never use the website. I have Roku, which is what I use to watch videos Funimation and Crunchyroll. I've actually found that Funi's videos load quicker than Crunchyroll's on Roku. That doesn't really help you with your situation though.

lys wrote:
Re: next ep speculation—the title of the episode spoiler[matches that of ch43, so they may try to squeeze it in too? Inspecting the preview scenes closely, the second to last one (with the full cast) shows a building in the background, which would also suggest ch43. Were you the one who guessed earlier that they might include ch47? (edit: nope, it was Darkmagick!) I'm glad they will! Should please some folks Smile]

Continuation of speculation: spoiler[From a thematic sense, it's important to include ch43, because it goes on to answer the question, what now? You have gathered all of the dragons, so what now? And her response that she wants to protect the people of her country shows how much she's grown from an ignorant princess unaware of what was going on in her nation. Initially, she only wanted the dragon's powers to help her and Hak survive, but now she strives for greater things, which helps set the stage. Ch47 is good because it brings it back around to Yona and Hak, the first two on the journey, and the discussion at the very end even further illustrates how far Yona has come. I imagine in order to fit everything in, the episode might cut out some of the humorous moments from ch47 when she goes asking several other people for help with learning the sword.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:32 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Instead I decided to watch the simuldub at Funimation.

That's gonna take some getting used to, but it's not terrible. I would have preferred someone who can sound slightly more cultured for Hak, like David Matranga or someone (Troy Baker would've been perfect, but alas, he doesn't do much anime anymore). The script leaves a bit to be desired though ("Hello, I'm Princess Yona!" Rolling Eyes ).
lys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:03 am Reply with quote
Nooooooo, the dub voices are all calling Ao a boy!!! They're wrong! Pukkyu's a girl, the author said soooo~, Shin'ah, you at least should know better!! (in case it's not obvious, I'm aware this is a silly nitpick :) )

Anyway, Funi's video player is working without a hitch this morning so that's nice. I watched the dubbed episode and... my curiosity is satisfied, so I'll stick with the Japanese :) It's just too hard to adjust my expectations, and I've grown to love the original voices so much. But I'm happy the dub exists for those who enjoy them, and hope it brings more people to check the series out!
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:03 am Reply with quote
Silly dub writers Ao was wearing a dress in one episode, of course she is a girl. Maybe they thought Ao was a cross dressing squirrel. Well she also wore a mustache so I guess Ao is a cross dressing squirrel either way.
lys

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:10 am Reply with quote
My website-stalking has paid off (actually CDJapan very helpfully emailed me this morning)—the first JP DVD and Blu-ray are up for preorder now~ I believe it's the first three episodes, and first press comes with some gorgeous Mizuho Kusanagi art as well as a couple other doo-dads (like a radio CD?). I've never bought, or even considered buying, a Japanese anime release, but I think I'm just crazy enough about this series to go for it.

(extra, extra! manga volume 17 and the novel come out tomorrow! later today, by Japan time!!)

/end fangirl commercial
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:20 am Reply with quote
Funi's subtitles for Ao also say "him" so at least they're consistent. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Additionally, both the subs and the dub refer to Hak as the Lightning Beast. I'm pretty certain Crunchyroll translates it as Thunder Beast (I'm unable to double check right now). Based on my limited knowledge and research, Thunder seems like a more appropriate translation, but it's a minor nitpick.

If Japan's BD release came with subtitles, I'd be all over it. Since it doesn't, I'm hesitant. On the one hand, OMG IT'S GORGEOUS. And on the other, it'd just be an expensive, pretty decoration that I couldn't get the full enjoyment out of. If I bought it, it'd be my first Japanese anime import as well.
lys

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:35 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I, um, don't actually have a Blu-ray player at the moment, but I figured I'd get one eventually and then I don't have to worry about the region... (right?) I'm curious about the radio cd too, and I've already been replaying episodes as background noise while working, and I've about got the story memorized after all my rereads, so even though my Japanese listening comprehension is lacking I think I'll still enjoy it. I'll frame that postcard and hang it on my wall if nothing else :D

Still, I really hope Hakusensha releases an artbook eventually to collect all of the gorgeousness! I think Kusanagi-sensei is overdue for one at this point: NG Life has some lovely colour work as well.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Correct, Japan and the US share the same BD region.

I think whether I buy it or not will come down to whatever else I'm buying this year.

Yes, an artbook sounds lovely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 30