• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yona of the Dawn (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I consider myself a relatively hardcore Western otaku but there are two lines I have trouble imagining myself crossing:

1) Buying a hug pillow (although not too long ago I saw a Terraformars one I wanted, but it is being offered as a prize);

and

2) Importing a non-subbed Jpn release of a show. Hell, I have a hard enough time imagining paying the dough for a Jpn release even when it does have subs, but without? Yeah, hard to picture that.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
@willag
The word they are using for Hak, as best I can tell from listening, is raijin. I'm not sure of the formal translation, but whenever I've heard that used for an actual supernatural creature, it had electrical powers. Most recently seen in the first episode of Isuca. Of course, given how related thunder and lightning are, most such creatures probably have both.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Raijin is perfect because it sounds like ragin'.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
I'm curious about the radio cd too, and I've already been replaying episodes as background noise while working,

You may want to also listen to the Akatsuki no Yona: Kōkaōkoku Radio (web radio).
http://www.onsen.ag/program/yona/
The radio personalities are Maeno Tomoaki and Kobayashi Yūsuke.

A Kōkaōkoku Radio 2CD set which consists of some past instalments and a newly recorded instalment has been released in January.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00QL85PFU/

Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@willag
The word they are using for Hak, as best I can tell from listening, is raijin. I'm not sure of the formal translation, but whenever I've heard that used for an actual supernatural creature, it had electrical powers. Most recently seen in the first episode of Isuca. Of course, given how related thunder and lightning are, most such creatures probably have both.

Actually, the word they use for Hak is raijuu, not raijin. It's a traditional Japanese creature, which is sometimes portrayed as a wolf. You can see it in the background when Hak pops up in the opening, the same as the images of dragons showing up when each of the Four Dragons appear.

More about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raijū - You can see Hak is actually listed in the popular culture section.

For the translation:
Raijuu is spelled 雷獣. Lightning, or "kaminari", is spelled 雷. Thunder, or "raimei", is spelled 雷鳴. The second kanji in raijuu, 獣, just means "beast". So kanji-wise, both "Lightning Beast" and "Thunder Beast" are pretty much correct. That being said, the "rai" pronunciation of the kanji is normally associated with thunder.

Personally, I prefer "Thunder Beast", but it's possible that that's just because it's what I'm used to.
lys

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:51 pm Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
lys wrote:
I'm curious about the radio cd too, and I've already been replaying episodes as background noise while working,

You may want to also listen to the Akatsuki no Yona: Kōkaōkoku Radio (web radio).
http://www.onsen.ag/program/yona/
The radio personalities are Maeno Tomoaki and Kobayashi Yūsuke.

A Kōkaōkoku Radio 2CD set which consists of some past instalments and a newly recorded instalment has been released in January.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00QL85PFU/

Thanks for sharing the link! I've found my way there before but have yet to figure out how to get it to play (clicked the 番組を聴く and got to the next page but the player window never does anything). Is it something that has to be listened to live, not just any time you want to play it? Or is my browser just being fussy?

Regarding names, I started off with 雷獣, reading the manga. I think I took in the "Thunder Beast" translation from CR's subs at a subconscious level but didn't really notice anything different when it was Lightning Beast in Funi's version because whatever, I know they're both talkin' 'bout Raijuu. (most of the other name spellings in both versions still bug me, but I realized no one's stopping me from using whatever spellings I want, so it's all good.)
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
lys wrote:
I've found my way there before but have yet to figure out how to get it to play (clicked the 番組を聴く and got to the next page but the player window never does anything). Is it something that has to be listened to live, not just any time you want to play it? Or is my browser just being fussy?

Alas, Onsen's 'guide for users' article says, 'また、<音泉>のサービスは日本国内向けとなっております。 海外から番組を聴くことはできませんので、あらかじめご了承下さい。' (´・ω・`)

CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
^So basically, the program is only available inside Japan and can't be listened to from foreign countries
lys

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:29 am Reply with quote
Ah, good to know! Thank you both for explaining!
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Shān Hăi Jīng says:
Quote:
東海中有流波山。入海七千里。其上有獸。狀如牛、蒼身而無角、一足。出入水則必風雨。其光如日月、其聲如雷。其名曰夔。黃帝得之、以其皮爲鼓、橛以雷獸之骨〔雷獸卽雷神也。人面龍身、鼓其腹者。橛猶擊也〕、聲聞五百里、以威天下。

雷澤中有雷神。龍身而人頭、鼓其腹。在吳西〔今城陽有堯冢靈臺。雷澤在北也。河圖曰、大迹在雷澤、華胥履之而生伏羲〕。

So, 雷獸 in ancient East Asia was a dragon with a human head.
Anthropologist-folklorist Yoshioka Ikuo presumes that 雷獸 as a canine/mustelid-like creature is a since-the-Edo-period Japanese thing.
So, to put 雷獸 as a canine-like creature in the backgroud in the picture of Hak in the credit-title sequence may be an anachronism and an anatopism, in a sense. Wink

Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the additional information. This explains why all my references picked up a god and not a beast. Trying to pick this stuff out by ear is almost impossible.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:44 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Thanks for the additional information. This explains why all my references picked up a god and not a beast. Trying to pick this stuff out by ear is almost impossible.

It's a pleasure.

In Episode 1 of Isuca, Shimazu Sakuya referred the creature as raijū. (It is said that her name 'Sakuya' is derived from goddess Konohanasakuyabime.)

'Raijin', the word which you mentined, can be written in Japanese as '雷神' (thunder + god).
Some fans of manga may remember Raijin Comics, which had the kanji '雷神' in its wordmark.

'Thunder' is 'kaminari' in Japanese, and it is derived from 'kami (god) + nari (to sound)'.

Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:19 am Reply with quote
@hyojodoji
The comic anthology is where I first came across Raijin as a word. I later read a manga where a supernatural creature of that name (with an electrical manifestation) was causing problems in the appliance section of a department store. The protagonist had to lure him out. I don't remember the specific manga.

I expect that is why I thought I heard it spoken.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 24 (Finale):

Very good series overall with a lot of interesting ideas and the journey of Yona's development. Wow, she really changed a lot from the first episode when she was first introduced.

spoiler[As for the finale, they finally introduced Zeno, the yellow dragon! Personally, I think it's a bite late but oh well. I kinda like his personality though. And unfortunately, there's no season 2 announced (yet). There's an OVA though but I feel like the show really needs another season in the future with that open ending]

Rating it as very good!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote
It's going to be hard to top this as my anime of 2015 (of course it really started in 2014 but I feel something can't truly be judged until it's over).

But this was a great series with characters I grew to love, and a wonderful well developed female lead. When I say I want a strong female character, Yona is exactly what I meant. However I love the entire cast and will miss them all.

I thought the series had a nice full circle ending but it is also a bit cruel to end right when Xeno/Zeno/Jeno was introduced and no TBC. Tuesday's are going to be so much sadder without my Yona fix. But I will definitely be looking into the manga now. It's a must read for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 30