• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yona of the Dawn (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I found ep 8 boring. I'm not a fan of Yun or Ik-Su (Ik-Soo?) or their relationship. I know their characters are purposely exaggerated, but that just means their annoying traits are blown up, too. spoiler[Yun hides his loneliness and desire to feel needed behind arrogance and exasperation at having to take care of Ik-Su.] Ik-Su is too kind for his own good and barely able to survive due to his clumsiness. Ik-Su's character in particular rings really false to me--how can anyone have survived on his own as an adult as long as he did without learning about the world and becoming less naive? And how did he survive at all if he can barely take two steps without falling? His character just seems kind of silly.

Yun's character is more realistic, but he comes off as obnoxious. I kind of wanted spoiler[Hak to call him a brat when he started giving orders at the end.]
We still got Hak and Yona, who are great characters, and hopefully as more young men join them they'll be less focus on Yun's "I'm smarter than you and I take care of you" attitude.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Yona was looking for something sharp to cut her hair, and gleefully holds a giant axe, that bit was funny. She got some spoiler[new clothes, evened out her hair, and commented on family in that it was not her decision to take Yun]. And the preview looks also to be expanding her character.

I ended up liking Yun, sure he is a bit of a brat, but it feels more like him making excuses to actually help people than putting them down.
| Terra |

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
ookamigirl wrote:
Transition from the past to the present was definitely rushed.
Still, they make that up with flashbacks to the past.
But, the rest of the plot in between seems slow-ish.
A weird combination.
This anime is balancing between comedy, serious & plain messing around.
Dropping it after all.

That's unfortunate. I would really encourage you to give the anime a little more time before jumping the gun and dropping it. As someone who is up to date with the manga (up to chapter 99 right now), I can assure you that it's only going to get better and better.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Ik-Su is too kind for his own good and barely able to survive due to his clumsiness. Ik-Su's character in particular rings really false to me--how can anyone have survived on his own as an adult as long as he did without learning about the world and becoming less naive? And how did he survive at all if he can barely take two steps without falling? His character just seems kind of silly.

I was under the impression that spoiler[most of that was an act to make Yun feel like Ik-Su could not survive without him, to allow Yun to feel like the strong caretaker rather than the weak cared for. When it came time for Yun to move on, Ik-Su deliberately demonstrated that he could take care of himself.

Not all of it was an act, of course.]
He is a genuinely kind soul who lets people take advantage of him and gets beaten up for it. But that doesn't mean he can't survive. The gods are on his side, after all.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:24 am Reply with quote
That was my interpretation of it, too. You can see that there are times (usually when you can see his eyes) when he gets serious and tosses aside (mostly) the helpless persona he uses with Yun. Really, I thought the interactions were pretty well portrayed this episode.

While this series doesn't blow me away, it maintains a good quality on a pretty consistent basis. I'm pretty sure I'll keep watching this until it concludes. Hopefully it doesn't run out of source material before that happens.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:40 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I'm pretty sure I'll keep watching this until it concludes. Hopefully it doesn't run out of source material before that happens.

Considering there are currently 15 volumes out, and we're only 2 and a half volumes in right now, I'd say that's very unlikely unless they speed up the pacing to ridiculous levels. (Which I certainly hope they don't - the series' dedication to Yona's gradual, realistically-paced character development is one of its key draws.)
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

I think spoiler[Yona will be fine if she stays focused. Seems like a certain someone's name will definitely make her lose that focus though. And at the same time, we find out more about King II which I'm not surprised at.]

A decent buildup episode overall. spoiler[Seems like Yona will get her hands on a sword next time. Surprised]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Hak trying to spoiler[explain through talking how to fire arrows] was funny. Yona dedicating so much to her new skill was enjoyable, it has not felt sudden as there has been a slow burn of leading her from being a princess to be protected, to someone who wants to protect others. There is some real though into the weight of wielding a weapon, that it means she not some helpless person on the battlefield. I think the part with spoiler[the wild pig] was especially good.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:33 am Reply with quote
Interesting byplay when Hak told her not to say she wanted to protect him. Very Happy
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
"And then her quest ended in a pool of blood, as she came up one arrow short of defeating her enemy. With her last breath, she thought 'maybe it wasn't entirely necessary for Hak to break that arrow he caught.'"
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 10:

LOL, let the spoiler[new rivalry begin. I don't have much to say for the latest episode except that the grandma is awesome and I think Yona's new ally has great potential although with risks as well; given that dragon ability and its resonance.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
All descendants of the white dragon. Welcome to incest village!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

I laughed more than a few times this episode. I laughed especially at Yona spoiler[being happy over so much attention]. Actually Hak was laughing at it too. Also right at the start with Yunspoiler[ locked in a cage, he was seriously worried about them and they are getting a tour, he also kept repeating how good looking he is]. Not sure what it is buy I really like this comedy.

The rivalry between Hak and Kija is already funny.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I... I... have a throbbing dragon in my right hand, too.

Lotsa talk in this eppie. Hope next one amps up the action quotient (preview makes it seem like it will).
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
All descendants of the white dragon. Welcome to incest village!

And they all look the same with their white hair and the exact same outfit. That whole village was kind of freaky.

I'm very patient with this show, but ep 10 was getting boring. Plot wise, it all could have been covered in half an ep. I don't understand why they're stretching things out, either, if we've only covered 3 volumes out of 15.

Ki Ju's powers intrigue me, but his blood telling him what to do was a bit on the nose, and I can already see how his rivalry with Hak could get old fast. Oh, well. Hopefully we will get action (and a new character, so we can speed this up?) next week.

Favorite moment in the ep: Hak's smirk when Yona called herself a scoundrel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 30