• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yona of the Dawn (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
^I imagine that they're going to be ending the series right around the point when Yona has all 4 dragons. Episode 10 ends with chapter 17 of the manga. Zeno, the last dragon to join the group, comes in on chapter 42. I imagine the season will end with chapter 43, where the question is brought up, "well, we have all 4 dragons, what now?" and Yona decides how she wants to move forward. Chapters 44 through 46 is an arc focusing on Soo-won and shows just how capable he is at being the king, and then starts the long Happy Hungry Bandits arc with Yona and the group; neither arc feel like an appropriate stopping point like chapter 43 does.

The next episode looks like it covers chapters 18 and 19, which mainly focus on how Ki-ja fits in with the group. Chapters 20 through 25 focuses on the second dragon, Shin-Ah. Chapters 26 through 40 is the arc for the third dragon, Jae-ha, and the pirates. It's a pretty hefty length, so I imagine it will take up at least half of the second part of the series. Chapter 41 is a standalone, goofy chapter that may or may not get adapted. And then Zeno in 42.

Rather than come up with an original, anime-only ending, I imagine the series will end on a "read the manga if you want to find out more" note. There are currently 100 chapters out in Japan, and the latest chapter just revealed something significant about Zeno's abilities (that people have been guessing for a while). The manga still feels like it has a decent-sized story to tell. So I don't see the anime getting anywhere near resolving the whole Soo-won/Yona issue.

---

As for episode 10 itself? Hilarious! I died when Hak started laughing like an idiot after Yona insisted she needed him. Absolutely amazing.

Also, has anyone noticed that the opening changes between episodes? Compare the camerawork and movement of the characters in episode 1 to episode 10. I think I first noticed the changes around episode 6 or 7. It went back to the old one in episode 8, I believe, and then had the new one return in episodes 9 and 10. I wonder the reason for these differences.

Still my favorite series of the season! Very Happy

Last edited by Crisha on Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lys

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Ki Ja's powers intrigue me, but his blood telling him what to do was a bit on the nose, and I can already see how his rivalry with Hak could get old fast. Oh, well. Hopefully we will get action (and a new character, so we can speed this up?) next week.

It is pretty neat and tidy that Kija's blood tells him "this is the one, follow her!" and so he does. But, spoiler[based on how later characters are introduced], that seems to be part of his personality, and not just a contrivance of the story.

I enjoyed the scenes of rivalry too :) Maybe it's toned down in later volumes (or spoiler[mannerly Kija is deemed "safe" once a stronger threat is introduced.]), because it surprised me when I revisited this earlier part of the story! Another reason to enjoy the slow pace: each character brings some slight changes to the whole group dynamic, and it's fascinating to see that process! (just let there be another season after this, please please please...)

edit: Great summary, willag! It's nice to have the arcs and their lengths all clearly laid out as you did :) (and with your note on the latest chapter, I'm extra impatient for the new Hana to Yume (+calendar!) I ordered. And v16 out later this month... it's a happy time to be a fan :D)
willag wrote:
Also, has anyone noticed that the opening changes between episodes? Compare the camerawork and movement of the characters in episode 1 to episode 10. I think I first noticed the changes around episode 6 or 7. It went back to the old one in episode 8, I believe, and then had the new one return in episodes 9 and 10. I wonder the reason for these differences.

Someone pointed it out in the comments on Crunchyroll the first week it changed, otherwise I might have only noticed it on a subconscious level ("did the character-shots always zoom around like that?"). My thinking is that the first version was more of an in-progress, unfinalized cut since the main changes in the new version seemed to be colour brightness/tints and effects. I have no idea why it switched back for one episode. But there have also been minor changes to the new version between episodes, with characters added to the walking-through-sand scene as the story progresses. Nifty :)
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Fun episode overall. It pretty much highlights spoiler[our adventurers now and what they are looking for. Their newest member has that dragon claw ability which I think is quite a powerful weapon; just hope it doesn't go out of control in the future.]

And of course, spoiler[Yona gets someone new to fall for her Razz (doubt she realizes it)]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm finding Yona surprisingly delightful. I can tell it's going to be a long ride for viewers, but so far I'm enjoying it. The intro is absolutely breathtaking. And, though the pacing is very slow, I feel like it needs to be that way. I'm actually enjoying the introductions of new characters and am anxiously looking forward to more of them as well as the plot progressing. I, too, hope there will be more episodes after this season concludes, assuming the story doesn't fit into 26 episodes neatly, which it doesn't seem like it would.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm really liking all these characters. Everybody has such a dork side that it's impossible to not love them. :'D Ki-ja and I have the same feelings towards camping outside; we think it sucks and it's gross. Anime hyper

willag wrote:
As for episode 10 itself? Hilarious! I died when Hak started laughing like an idiot after Yona insisted she needed him. Absolutely amazing.

I KNOW RIGHT. He was positively giddy with joy. Anime hyper
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm liking this show although the pacing is pretty slow. They spoiler[didn't even find the Blue Dragon]? Damn. Did anything of note happen in this episode?
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Damn. Did anything of note happen in this episode?

Characters were developed? But if you mean plot-wise, then not really.

But honestly, I think that's just the kind of series Yona of the Dawn is. Essentially, character development - particularly Yona's - is its first priority at all times. It refuses to move this at anything faster than a realistic pace. And if that happens to slow the plot down, then so be it.

I can see how this can get frustrating, but I have to say I love it for what it is. (Well, it helps that I adore essentially every single member of the cast. I read the manga, and have found myself in that rarest of situations where there's not a single member of the reverse harem I dislike, or even feel indifferent about. I'd happily follow this cast through a lazy slice-of-life series where nothing happened ever.)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Count me among those who not only doesn't mind the slow pace but actually kind of digs the meandering vibe. Love the characters and the world. Take me on your journey, Yona, I'm in no rush.

It was nice to see Nancy Boy Dragon Fist kick some ass.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Not much happened except for largely having Ki-ja catch up to speed on the dynamics of everyone and learn a bit about him. But it was still very enjoyable, I find myself laughing at a variety of small interactions.

Chiibi wrote:
I'm really liking all these characters. Everybody has such a dork side that it's impossible to not love them.

I think that might be a good reason why, the dork part of anyone can make them at any time the butt of a joke without criticising their entire character. Everyone can be a dork at times so it kind of makes them relatable.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:52 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

I think that might be a good reason why, the dork part of anyone can make them at any time the butt of a joke without criticising their entire character. Everyone can be a dork at times so it kind of makes them relatable.

Yes, and it gives them so much personality! And I am sure you guys have noticed the world of difference between this cast of pretty characters and the casts of the otome game pretty stereotypes from Amnesia and Diabolick Lovers, right?
They are nothing alike.
ESPECIALLY Yona herself. Yona is a person and a strongly written character. The other 'heroines' were self-inserts inside a pretty drawing.

So you see, there IS a way to do a good "bishounen show"; use a manga story instead of an otome game.

(Though I've heard UtaPrince isn't terrible like the others, the artwork doesn't particularly appeal to me.)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:57 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
So you see, there IS a way to do a good "bishounen show"; use a manga story instead of an otome game.

(Though I've heard UtaPrince isn't terrible like the others, the artwork doesn't particularly appeal to me.)

Kamigami no Asobi was not bad either.

Although I can already think of some pretty good bishounen shows manga like Kaichou wa Maid-sama and Kamisama Hajimemashite. I like when a show can be good regardless of whether it bishounen or bishoujo anime.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:50 am Reply with quote
I know I am going to be upset when this is over and we don't have the manga licensed here.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
^I know. Sad For the most part, I'm able to avoid fansubs nowadays, which I really like (even though, unfortunately, not all of them have a physical release >_> Kyousougiga, Nobunagun). However, I still rely upon scanlations for several manga series that will probably never see the light of day over here (7 Seeds, Chihayafuru, Akatsuki no Yona).

I can't remember, but was a license for home video confirmed for Yona by Funi? Oh man, I hope they release it. I've been sticking with Crunchyroll for the streams, however, since Funi is 2 weeks behind. I hope they're collecting streaming numbers from CR as well. I'd hate for them to not release the series just because they think there's no interest. I would love to have a collector's edition release for this series. Favorite series of the season, and I'm really looking forward to Jae-ha's arc.

They also licensed Nobunagun, but never confirmed a physical release for that series. I fear that it's going to be one of those series that just doesn't get a physical release.

Anyways, I didn't think episode 11 was quite as funny as episode 10 (at this point, it's gonna be hard to top Hak giggling), but I still enjoyed it. And now we're gonna meet Shin-Ah and Ao next episode! Yay!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
If the anime gets licensed, that should increase the manga's chances as well.

........at least that's the pattern I've noticed?

And yes, the manga is gorgeous.
lys

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
^I know. :( For the most part, I'm able to avoid fansubs nowadays, which I really like (even though, unfortunately, not all of them have a physical release >_> Kyousougiga, Nobunagun). However, I still rely upon scanlations for several manga series that will probably never see the light of day over here (7 Seeds, Chihayafuru, Akatsuki no Yona).

I can't remember, but was a license for home video confirmed for Yona by Funi? Oh man, I hope they release it. I've been sticking with Crunchyroll for the streams, however, since Funi is 2 weeks behind. I hope they're collecting streaming numbers from CR as well. I'd hate for them to not release the series just because they think there's no interest. I would love to have a collector's edition release for this series. Favorite series of the season, and I'm really looking forward to Jae-ha's arc.

I feel really strongly about not reading scans of series, even if I love the series dearly and my Japanese reading comprehension isn't enough to understand everything as well as I'd like (watching the anime has been an interesting mix of "so THAT's what that conversation was all about" and "ooh, I loved that part in the manga!"). In my opinion, those who continue to provide scans for a series beyond an introductory volume or so are ultimately only hurting its chances of getting licensed, since it's that much easier for publishers to say "Look, everyone who wants to read it has done so, no point pouring our resources into a legit release." I really really wish people could stick with simple text translations and import the books, if they must have all the latest content from Japan... Anyway, I'm not trying to start a debate or condemn anyone, but those thoughts have been whirling around my head for a few months now and I had to vent a little. Even so, I do have my high hopes of some wonderful publisher picking the manga up for English release.

I'm also concerned about Funi's delayed stream and the potential for that to throw off viewer numbers. I've been visiting Funi's site and letting an episode or two play in the background/with the sound off if I don't have time/inclination to actually watch the episode again (it's certainly worth rewatching and I'm curious about translation choice differences, but by the time an episode is up on Funi I've already probably watched it 2+ times on CR, and am too impatient for new content to be satisfied with old...) That's the best solution I can offer for helping to boost their streaming #s.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 30