• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
this is fantastic and everything, but doesn't that meanspoiler[ the future Sou we keep seeing is from the second timeline and his Kaori is still in an anime coma, just like all the others before the success?] is he now simply satisfied that this spoiler[one version of himself now gets to live in a world where Kaori is awake]?
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[So Yui didn't get hit by the bus but she disappeared instead and seems to have been erased from their memories as well. But at least they seem to realise that something is off which has to be a good sign.]

Really wondering how it will end now.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Nagato could have solved this.

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Pretty interesting way to end things. spoiler[Yui didn't get brought back through some BS, instead Sou will recreate her one day. Though I suppose that raises further questions and might be a bit creepy.

Future Kaori gets better, though I'm not sure why. Maybe her saved status in the one world merged with the other, bringing her back. I guess she wins Sou in one universe, at least.]

Pretty decent series overall. Didn't wow me but I enjoyed it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I'm not sure what to think of the finale. The previous few episodes had a decent momentum with spoiler[thrilling moments but I think it lost a bit of steam with the finale. The very final scenes didn't really move me with Kaori.]

I also wanted to see the show highlight Yui one last time; doesn't have to be there physically but oh well..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
It did kind of end on a "meh" note, didn't it?

Previous episodes completely convinced me that Kaori was spoiler[supposed to be the end girl in all "histories" so Yui being "it" in the finale didn't really work for me.]

And while I don't feel that everything in a story of this sort has to be explained there was just a bit too much left over in this one to leave me satisfied.

It did the bare minimum to show that Sou spoiler[would go forward to "create" Yui again from nothing like he apparently did in the first history, and that's good...
But even if you just ignore various questions like HOW the first Yui was created or WHAT happened when the Kaori body copy (that becomes Yui) failed to get the consciousness transfer, and the answer to whether past and futures histories converge or branch into alternate histories.
....you are still left with the core question... what was the black box? That was apparently the key to most everything, but an explanation on that was never really touched on.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale)

Eh, I don't feel that strongly about the series. Not entirely sure what the point was in the end, like was Yui a sacrifice. And creating her because he loved her seems rather creepy, kind of like that weird doll thing in this episode. We go through different time periods, but we knew from the beginning that it was a redo so the mystery of Yui was not as interesting as it might be for characters in the show. Perhaps if they were more vague and set up as strange flashes from the beginning it could have worked. Plus the characters felt rather uninteresting, Kennie was just a stereotypical foreign character who can't even speak his own language properly. On the upside I did not get as frustrated like some other anime like this (Love Election and chocolate).

I rate it as Not really good, but not a total waste of time.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
so, since the spoiler[worlds are attempting to sync with each other by apparently having Kaori wake up, it's got to suck to be the original. Falling into a coma at 16 and waking up as an old lady cant be a pleasant experience.] assuming of course spoiler[she is still alive.]

And its kinda sad that spoiler[final Sou is going to remain forever alone until the day comes in the distant future when the technology to build Yui exists, simply because he fell in love with a girl he barely knew for less than 2 weeks].

Last edited by getchman on Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:36 am Reply with quote
^^^
spoiler[The future timeline was seemingly a little less time than you'd think. Sou and Airi dropped out of college to join Nagisa's team and thanks to money and everyone's apparent genius, I doubt they were out of their 20's yet.]

spoiler[Sou and friends probably would have been the ones to create the technology to "create" Yui... The box didn't disappear either, that points to them being able to make some technological leaps by using it. The odd bit is that in the future timeline Yui is made, in some fashion, during the process in which they're trying to copy Kaori's consciousness into an "empty" body. But without Kaori being in a coma, they wouldn't bother trying to do that. And with the occasional dropped lines about the two of them being alike in some ways, I think that's supposed to be important.]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
right, that I understand. my reasoning for assuming that spoiler[original timeline Sou, the one we see in episode 1, is a much older man than the 20 something timeline 2 Sou, (ep2-8), we kept seeing is the box. It's completely beyond their understanding even with the theoretical sciences they have all been studying. if the technology to create Yui came form the thing then its probably safe to assume that only came from decades of studying it and countless trial and error in creating what is essentially a homunculus. Yui of course failed at the end of episode 8, went offline and history repeated itsef for Sou and the gang. they become scientists determined to wake Kaori up, but this time they not only had the box, but also Yui. A gift of sorts from Sou 1 to Sou 2. instead of likely decades, he'd only need a few years to connect the dots and attempt to once again save Kaori.]
dan7el

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[
Anyway, Sou and Airi are in their thirties when they send Yui back. The show actually gives the number of years between high school, college, and then working at the company where they develop Yui and time travel. It's like 16 years.

Airi is still in love with Sou even in their thirties.

They don't show how Yui was developed and it seems that the technology used is still even beyond Sou at his peak. I'm guessing that they had the left-over Yui which they used to make the "new" Yui. What I wonder is if there were enough time-loops where they went from one incarnation of Yui to another with each loop making her incrementally better.

Sou wanted to be a doctor specializing in brain disorders. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't actually get his MD or PhD but he was still "in college" working in post doctoral studies when he began working for said company.

Honestly though, the show is also about relationships. Sou was in love with Yui, and she's gone. I think he should get with Kaori, but I strongly suspect that what will happen is that Sou will succeed in actually making another Yui with whom he'll finally get together.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4