Forum - View topic
Why are there little to no black or hispanic people in anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
bluepita wrote:

Lol, loved that! No, black Japanese person is ok with me, but my fingers don't want to type anything but African-American. I come from an old Southern family with a lot of old Southern bigots, in which most of the young people have begun dating people of different races (mostly black). Sooo, I've kind of been trained (coughbulliedcough) by my siblings to say African-American. It's that or join the ranks of the eldery racists apparently. Notice I said my siblings and not their partners. (I think they might be pulling my leg, because they outnumber me. Plus I really hate hurting people's feelings, so I am an easy target. But, I'm afraid of my brothers and sisters quite frankly. Did I mention that they outnumber me by far??)
Next time your family bullies you about their PCness, just start singing to them "Everyone's a little bit racist sometimes! Doesn't mean we go around committing hate crimes!" Mihoshi from Tenchi Muyo and Anthy from Utena are also black and while she isn't an anime character, the J-pop singer Crystal Kay is also black. I think that another reason why maybe you don't see as many black or hispanic anime characters is because a great deal of anime's profits are made from DVD sells in the U.S. as anime has a quite a large cult following with Americans, so perhaps the Japanese feel that anime will sell better in the U.S. if more anime characters look more American. Maybe anime just isn't as popular enough with black or hispanics as they are with whites, so maybe they just don't feel the need to make more black or hispanic anime characters. It certainly seems like you find more white people at anime cons than you do blacks or hispanics. Also, anime tends to focus more on its storyline rather than on the animation and character designs. Perhaps the thought of having more diverse races in anime just doesn't register in their minds because they're more concentrated on the plot than on the character designs, especially since most anime tend to take place more in unrealistic fantasy settings, anyway. Or maybe they just think it's cheaper and faster to draw all anime characters as having the same race.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Azathrael

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote
To clarify, there is a lot of diversity in Japan, especially in television. I'm saying "a lot" in comparison to Korea, where I still haven't seen a single black person in all of the mainstream shows that I enjoy.

Now, if the existing minority characters were portrayed in a negative manner, I might have a problem. I say might because Hollywood does it all the time and nobody says any crap about that. Now, I'd like to ask a very simple question that's also very self-explanatory with a little thinking:

Why on earth should they?

The US is the only country where this whole "diversity-equality" crap is so overblown and exaggerated and outright hypocritical that it isn't even funny. I won't even get into details of why it's hypocritical or how (Let's just say I'm taking a college class and I'm disgusted at the media). What's important is this: why exactly should it apply to Japanese media? I don't consider what the US media is "trying" to do to be right. I see no reason why Japanese media should try to uphold the same policy of this "equal black, equal hispanic, equal white, equal whatever". Regardless of the current population of minorities or whatever the political/social stage they're at, any anime staff can make whatever it wants and however it wants and the problem will be Japan's to fix, should Japan ever deem it to be a problem to begin with.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Awww dayum! Nigga got himself a sword yo!!
http://www.youtube.com/​watch?​v=​_E9iyrwVEsA&​NR

Twisted EvilLaughing

The integration of Anime and America is getting deeper.
Keonyn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:27 pm Reply with quote
That's part of what I actually love the most about Eureka Seven is it's diverse cast of characters in both behaviour and apparent heritage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hisdon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
There are some Japanese cartoons that have Black people in them. Like Bleach for example. It had 3 black characters in it.

Chad
Tousen
Yoruichi

And even Cyborg 009 and E7 had black characters in them. And G Gundam had these "neo countries" so this means that African neo countries were probably there. Like Neo Egypt.

There is also a new anime coming out in November called Afro Samurai that stars a black samurai played by Samuel Jackson.

you probably said this on accident, but Chad's hispanic.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yoruichi

She's Hindu.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it every specified Yoruichi, unless its from later in the manga. And "Hindu" indicates religious beliefs, not race/ethnicity. But Chad is definitely half-Hispanic, half-Japanese.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:09 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I don't think it every specified Yoruichi, unless its from later in the manga. And "Hindu" indicates religious beliefs, not race/ethnicity. But Chad is definitely half-Hispanic, half-Japanese.

Well, I didn't want to use "Indian" - due to possible mixup. But I can tell you - she ain't no black girl. Razz
daxomni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:06 am Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
The US is the only country where this whole "diversity-equality" crap is so overblown and exaggerated and outright hypocritical that it isn't even funny.

What's not funny is the alternative. In the US we have something we actually CAN laugh at. In Japan the racist undertones are somewhat below the surface but they are still surprisingly strong. A week or two in Tokyo isn't going to bring them out, but if you move there you'll get a feel for what's really going on. I'm talking about how some restaurants and shops post signs telling foreigners to stay out and how they refuse to serve stubborn gaijin or have them kicked out.

Even naturalized citizens who simply don't look Japanese can get kicked out, regardless if they have a Japanese passport on them or anything else. I haven't spent much time in Japan myself, but I've have had the opportunity to speak with light and dark skinned folks who have either studied or worked in Japan and I feel I have a decent idea of what's going on and how average Japanese folks treat foreigners once the initial honeymoon politeness phase is over.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There are some Japanese cartoons that have Black people in them. Like Bleach for example. It had 3 black characters in it.

Chad
Tousen
Yoruichi

Chad's not Black, he's South American, like Equador or something, I forget. Also the consensus seems to be that Yoruichi is actually Indian (East Indian). But still, multi-ethnic.

Quote:
Sooo, I've kind of been trained (coughbulliedcough) by my siblings to say African-American. It's that or join the ranks of the eldery racists apparently.

It's a phase in race relations. Step 1: hate and fear. (N^%#^$) Step 2: patronize (African American) Step 3: accept (black person). At least you (and your relatives) are on the right path. Wink

Quote:

Ok, I'll do that. Right at the same time that you show me a Japanese person who has naturally pinkish hair and purple eyes (Shuichi from Gravitation) or any of the other random insane color combinations of hair and eye color that appear on Japanese characters in anime. Sometimes you have to look a bit beyond appearances. Have you ever bothered to try and find out a bit about the coloring of hair and eyes in anime?

Yeah, from what I hear, anime just evolved away from naturality. Like when manga first started, everyone had black hair, which visually was a bit boring, and made it hard to tell individual characters appart. So over time they started adding characters with white or shaded hair, rather than black. When converting these to anime, they would make these lighter haired characters have all sorts of crazy colors, but really they'd all be considered to have black hair, it was just a visual gimick.

Btw, the point is true that MOST "white looking" characters in anime are intended to look Japanese. CHINESE characters, on the other hand, tend to look more Asian, with more eliptical eyes, so they do seem to differentiate between "white" and "Asian", they're just confused about which side of that line to place themselves on.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:15 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

Chad's not Black, he's South American, like Equador or something, I forget.

He's Mexican.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:30 am Reply with quote
[quote="Ohoni"]
Quote:

Btw, the point is true that MOST "white looking" characters in anime are intended to look Japanese. CHINESE characters, on the other hand, tend to look more Asian, with more eliptical eyes, so they do seem to differentiate between "white" and "Asian", they're just confused about which side of that line to place themselves on.

I can accept that, but where it gets weird is when they make Caucasions look Asian (Monster is a big culpret, half the characters don't look German at all cause of their eyes)
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:02 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Azathrael wrote:
The US is the only country where this whole "diversity-equality" crap is so overblown and exaggerated and outright hypocritical that it isn't even funny.

What's not funny is the alternative. In the US we have something we actually CAN laugh at. In Japan the racist undertones are somewhat below the surface but they are still surprisingly strong. A week or two in Tokyo isn't going to bring them out, but if you move there you'll get a feel for what's really going on. I'm talking about how some restaurants and shops post signs telling foreigners to stay out and how they refuse to serve stubborn gaijin or have them kicked out.

You can laugh at it because what's not laughable is hidden underneath. I've never been to Japan so I don't know, but I won't be the first person to ever say that the US has its fair share of hypocrisy of racist undertones in its society even today. I wonder what's actually worse: outright discrimination or subtle and near-unconscious messages through mass media, that allows you to laugh about it - on the outside. There are more than enough articles available on the web if you'd like to see exactly what American critics have to say about the content of their media.

Also, you make it seem as if the nation as a whole treat foreigners that way. For someone who hasn't "spent much time in Japan myself", I'm betting you're talking huge generalizations of isolated cases you've heard through your friends, out of chance and bad luck (because obviously you couldn't have worn out their politeness phase). Because I can equally argue that every Japanese native who've come to my university to study or teach has not shown a hint of discrimination to anyone. Does that mean that Japan is discrimination-free?
bluepita

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

It's a phase in race relations. Step 1: hate and fear. (N^%#^$) Step 2: patronize (African American) Step 3: accept (black person). At least you (and your relatives) are on the right path. Wink

Lol, oh I won't ever be able to make them happy. You see, I blush when I get embarassed. Apparently that's funny. Anyway, it's not so much about me and other races as it is about the fact they are about ten years younger than me and like to give me hell. Don't get me wrong. I have my prejudices. They just aren't based on skin color. Is it wrong to automatically discount someone because he looks arrogant??

Ohoni wrote:

Yeah, from what I hear, ...

That was my understanding also, plus the notion that by now the different hair colors tend to signify character types or traits.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:37 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet...what about Nadia? I've never actually sat down and watched through this series, but as far as I know, the title character is black, isn't she? I mean, yeah, she spoiler[comes from Atlantis], but still...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6