• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Game, Round 12

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
next quote, dub

Character A: Oh boo, tonight's gonna be so lonely lones y'alls

Character B: Wait, why the hell are you talking like that?

Character A: You don't know about this? It's the latest fad. A new girl at work was teaching me how to do it. She says eveyone's talkity talkin like this now y'alls. and then the doodley doodle this with their eyes y'all. I'm totally oats on the trendy tip now y'all.

Character B: Oh will you knock it off, and could you not do that with your eyes?

Character A: I'm notely-ot doing it wrong. I'm rockity ocking it so hard.....
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Anime: spoiler[Toradora! Episode 17]
Character A: spoiler[Yasuko (Ryuji's borderline sane mother)]
Character B: spoiler[Ryuji]
Context: spoiler[Ryuji is going out to study with his classmates, leaving his mother alone for the evening.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:30 am Reply with quote
correct
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:48 am Reply with quote
I purchased the original Hanabee release, which was before the dub was made. Although the words are quite different, I could recognise the scene. I imagine the dubbed version could be quite funny.

I've chosen this next quote because the dub transforms an otherwise lame dialogue in what should have been a dramatic scene by throwing in a reference to domestic violence that, in the context of the scene, is both alarming and savagely ironic. I'll show both the sub and dub because the sub indicates what the viewer can see ("What about our faces?!") while the sub doesn't.

Official sub

(Smack.)

Unnamed Adversary A: Wh-What the hell?!

Protagonist: Take me to your immediate boss. What these guys don’t want is to have (spoiler occupation) swaggering around their turf.

(After a short walk Unnamed Adversary B points.)

Protagonist: So this is where he got his face changed.

Unnamed Adversary A: You should get plastic surgery, too. (Smack.) Urgh.

Protagonist: Same to you, too.

Unnamed Adversary B: We need to get back to work…

Protagonist: Yes, thanks for your cooperation. I’m sure you know this, but you never met either of us. You two were out for a walk.

Unnamed Adversary A: What about our faces?!

Protagonist: Why don’t you just say you had a friendly fistfight?

Unnamed Adversary A: What the heck does that mean?

Dub

(Smack.)

Unnamed Adversary A: Wh-What the hell?!

Protagonist: You're gonna take me to whoever it is you answer to. Last things these scumbags want is a couple of (spoiler occupation) snooping around their turf asking questions.

(After a short walk Unnamed Adversary B points.)

Protagonist: So this is where he got his face re-arranged, huh?

Unnamed Adversary A: You should get plastic surgery, yourself. (Smack.) Urgh.

Protagonist: Right back at ya.

Unnamed Adversary B: We did what you asked. Now will you let us go? We need to work.

Protagonist: You boys have been a big help and I’m sure you know the drill: you never saw either one of us. Got it? You were out taking a walk.

Unnamed character A: How will we explain this?

Protagonist: Say… you fell down a flight of stairs.

Unnamed character A: Who will believe that?

I once worked with a woman who, in a previous marriage, was beaten by her husband. On one trip to hospital he made her tell the doctor that she fell down the stairs, to which the doctor enquired of him if she landed on his foot.

It's midnight. I'm off to bed.

(EDIT: fixed a typo - your changed to you're.)

Last edited by Errinundra on Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Hint # 1: spoiler[The protagonist's female companion is not only silent during this confrontation but also doesn't participate in the violence.]
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:17 am Reply with quote
Hint # 2: spoiler[The men were working in a market when the speaker accosted them. Their only connection to the speaker's quarry was that they knew who his plastic surgeon was.]
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:36 am Reply with quote
A clue before I go to bed.
Hint # 3: spoiler[This anime is not set in Japan. What's more, I can't recall it having a single Japanese character.]
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:49 am Reply with quote
I have a weird feeling that I've heard this before, but I can't say for certain. While I won't make an official guess, I will ask a question that might lead me somewhere.

spoiler[Was this directed by Sayo Yamamoto?]
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
The last clue should clarify things for you, Akane the Catgirl.

Hint # 4: spoiler[Unnamed adversary A's crack about the protagonist needing plastic surgery for her face is part of an ongoing gag throughout this 26 episode TV series that she isn't attractive to men. That's odd to me as I think she is the most visually appealing of all the heroines in Kouichi Mashimo's five "girls with guns" projects. Hey, I even have a figurine of her.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I had a feeling it was this show, but I don't remember much specifics about it. As such I can only give a half assed answer and hope you'll accept it. spoiler[Nadie to some thugs (the gay guys?) in El Cazador de la Bruja.]
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I had a feeling it was this show, but I don't remember much specifics about it. As such I can only give a half assed answer and hope you'll accept it. spoiler[Nadie to some thugs (the gay guys?) in El Cazador de la Bruja.]

That's good enough for me, as I've given the context in the clues and the thugs aren't named. It wasn't the spoiler[transvestites as they, like Nadie, are bounty hunters (the spoiler occupation) not market stall workers]. It's from the episode where spoiler[both Nadie and Riccardo are so broke they each take on the same bounty job and decide to team up to share the spoils (episode 17 for the second quote running)].
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Much obliged.

Subs:

"The world... is not square!"
Phibby

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
This is said by spoiler[Aida Rayhunton as she's fighting Bellri in the first ep of Gundam: G no Reconguista. She and her pirates are attempting to hijack the space elevator when Bellri attacks her from above, trying to avoid the elevator's cable.] That's about all the context I can think of because I thought the line was a total non sequitur, haha. Obviously memorable, though.

Pass if correct!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:30 am Reply with quote
Yup. Just one of the many nonsensical lines in that show.
Night fox

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:02 am Reply with quote
Alright, since the turn is open, I got one for you.

From the sub:

Character A: I'm going to save Character B.

Character C: So this is the difference between one who is being destroyed and one who is living in the moment. Very well, I recognize your will. You may go, Character A. You may go and change the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 102