• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Game, Round 12

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akaname

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Sub:

In a place so far away it seems like a dream, a resting place is waiting for me. I know it. My spirit will once again have a home, a place where sleep and night and stars are waiting for me.
Akaname

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Hint #1:

spoiler[Rumored to be a monster who murders children and then assumes their identity, the speaker is actually part of a team of scientists who have come to Earth in search of someone important to them.]
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I know the source and context definitively now, but don't quite know the speaker. I'll get it if the next hint helps identify the speaker.
Akaname

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Damn, I know the source and context definitively now, but don't quite know the speaker. I'll get it if the next hint helps identify the speaker.

Ha, ha. The first time I wrote down this quote, I realized I couldn't even identify the speaker myself, or provide adequate context. Nor could I the second time, as it was the same scene, but in the next episode. It wasn't until the third time this quote, or one very similar(this seems to be the shortest version) appeared, that I could identify the speaker and provide actual context.

This third appearance of this quote is the scene I am thinking about in regards to this game(and I will provide more context in the next hint)

Is there a rule on this? A quote that appears more than once, spoken by the same character, but under different circumstances?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Akaname,

From the rules:

Quote:
5. If the quote used is one that is repeated verbatim by more than one character in the same title then any of the speakers of the quote must be accepted as correct. (Optionally in this case, the quote poster may specify "first speaker" or "general context in which the quote is used" up front.)

So, I think you're okay, though I'm pretty sure the intent is that the quote is supposed to be reasonably unique and come from a single particular title. The more times it occurs, even within the same work, the less desirable it is as a quote.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Akaname wrote:
Is there a rule on this? A quote that appears more than once, spoken by the same character, but under different circumstances?

If it is the exact same quote all three times - or of striking similarity where it's almost the same and the meaning doesn't really change - then in my view you must accept an answer for any of the instances, not just a specified one.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I agree with dtm42 - any instance should suffice, or simply saying that it is a catchprhase of the character, eg Nadie's "Got any last words, say 'em now." Odd that you should ponder this question, Akaname, when you protested my use of a repeated (or essentially similar) quote by the same character in Witch Hunter Robin on the grounds it disadvantaged people who hadn't watched that show beyond the first appearance of the quote.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Coming from a position of almost entirely knowing what it is, I think it's fine. It's more like an instance of 'the quote is said several times, but only the last time do you really understand the context and know explicitly who's talking'.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm also pretty close, but having trouble pinning down the exact scene and speaker.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:23 am Reply with quote
Ooh, a race?

Game time started Cool
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
Ha, stumbled on it right after posting that:

spoiler[Fantastic Children. Hasmodai, quoting Hermann Hesse, and applying it to their situation of wanting to complete their mission and return to their home planet of Greecia.]
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately I got distracted for a while attending to some Reports. Razz
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
Congratulations Galap, you won fair and square. It took me too long to realise which show the quote was from and by then you'd already posted.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:37 am Reply with quote
Haha, it seems like quite a few of us were hot on the case.

I'll post a quote tomorrow.
Akaname

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:51 am Reply with quote
Well, just to confirm it, Galap is correct. The scene I was thinking of is from episode 7, this isspoiler[ what Hasmodai was thinking, right before becoming overwhelmed by memories of a previous life during 16th century Romania.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 102