• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Game, Round 12

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:26 am Reply with quote
Fansub:

"There's a distance between people. A large distance. Between my brother and me as well. But...if I search patiently, slowly, I may be able to find a path that shortens this distance. That path is extremely narrow, so if I take my eyes off it for a second, I'll lose it forever."

Hint #1: spoiler[The speaker delivers this monologue to the protagonist who is in a different area, to whom the speaker has spent a large portion of the show before this climactic moment being particularly antisocial.]

Hint #2: spoiler[The speaker is carrying something very precious to the protagonist while saying this.]

Hint #3: spoiler[The speaker and the protagonist share a given name written using different first kanji, which leads the protagonist's friend to giving the speaker a nickname based on a different reading of that first kanji when the friend and protagonist first speak with speaker. The protagonist's nickname is similarly an alternate reading of the first kanji but is different from the alternate reading given to the speaker's first kanji, meaning the nicknames for the protagonist and the speaker have different prefixes and matching suffixes though their given names are actually read exactly the same.]

Last edited by 鏡 on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:10 am; edited 7 times in total
Night fox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
@鏡

Just in case you didn't already know, you can give hints as long as you remember to spoiler[spoiler tag them]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I did, sorry for not posting one sooner, temporarily spotty internet access.

Hint #1: spoiler[The speaker delivers this monologue to the protagonist who is in a different area, to whom the speaker has spent a large portion of the show before this climactic moment being particularly antisocial.]

edit- since there was an extended period of time without the first hint I'll add a second in shorter sequence

Hint #2: spoiler[The speaker is carrying something very precious to the protagonist while saying this.]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote
Hint #3: spoiler[The speaker and the protagonist share a given name written using different first kanji, which leads the protagonist's friend to giving the speaker a nickname based on a different reading of that first kanji when the friend and protagonist first speak with the speaker. The protagonist's nickname is similarly an alternate reading of the first kanji but is different from the alternate reading given to the speaker's first kanji, meaning the nicknames for the protagonist and the speaker have different prefixes and matching suffixes though their given names are actually read exactly the same.]
Hikari14

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Isako speaking to Yasako from Dennou Coil episode 23]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Hikari14 wrote:
spoiler[Isako speaking to Yasako from Dennou Coil episode 23]

Correct, "brave girl" and "gentle girl" AKA Yuuko Amasawa and Yuuko Okonogi respectively.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I have the perfect quote. It's a bit long, so bear with me....from sub

A: *laughs* You cleared the last one so well. I'll make the next one final. *thumps his cane onto the ground causing it to shatter and reveal the blade* Stab character X with this.

X: What?!

A: Your startled faces just now were exquisite! Now do it!

X: That's crazy.

B: Screw you! You pervert!

C: That's unreasonable!

D: I refuse.

A: I've already told you many times. I don't mind at all if you refuse.

*brief pause*

A: Then let's start with this girl.

X: Character E!

A: She's like an adorable little angel.

B: What should we do?! Can't we do anything?!

A: Oh, I can't wait! Now...do it.

X: Stop! I won't let it happen! I can't let something terrible happen to character E when she's got nothing to do with this!

A: Then please get to it.

X: *approaches the blade and picks it up*

A: You have ten seconds.

C: You bastard!

A: *laughs* How easy. That sword is smothered with poison that would kill a man with the slightest scratch.

D: I'll do it. I'll call the ambulance immediately afterwards.

X: All right. I'll do it myself.

C: Character X.

B: Please reconsider, character X!

X: Character B protected me without a thought about his own safety. Character C could have ended up unable to play baseball anymore. I can do this much!

*unimportant talk*

A: Come now, character X. Stab yourself as you've been told. Right now!

(I would have bolded X's quote as most prominent, but not sure if thoughts count. Any clarification on this?)

[/i]
Night fox

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least you excluded the *unimportant talk* at the end. Laughing
Hikari14

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:14 am Reply with quote
I asked for clarification, not a joke. Surprised
Hikari14

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:35 am Reply with quote
Hint 1: spoiler[The speaker is an assassin]
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
Took me a night of consulting with my pillows, but I finally remembered where this was from

It's from spoiler[Reborn! A is Birds threatening to kill Haru and Kyoko with his assassin birds. X is Tsuna whom is being forced to hurt himself. C is Yamamoto, B is Gokudera and D should be Bianchi]
Hikari14

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
Well, that's......as they would say 'bene'. In other words, correct. Bene is italian for good
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad it lasted so long, last night I was bashing my head on the desk trying to remember where it was from. I had a gut feeling about spoiler[Reborn] because of the baseball part, but I kept thinking A was spoiler[Mukuro], except that he doesn't use a cane. It was just this morning that I remembered spoiler[Birds], he was such a forgettable lackey

Anyway, next quote:

Fear is freedom! Subjugation is liberation! Contradiction is truth! These are the truths of this world! Surrender to those truths, you pigs in human clothing!

I don't expect it to last long
Hikari14

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Which is why I picked that particular quote. Twisted Evil
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[This is Satsuki from Kill la Kill speaking to the entirety of the student body of Honnouji Academy.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 66 of 102