• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hatsune Miku to Sing on The Late Show with David Letterman

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
This is big. Like really big. Here's hoping America starts to warm up to Miku.

But I'm still going to prepare myself for the impending tsunami of insults and negativity.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
People watch David Letterman still?
IchigoKurosakiHollowfi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Woah, thats cool, I think. =o

Miku NEEDS a world tour or something!!
Do they never think of the fans who don't live in California or anywhere near it??? Sad
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
This will be a disaster of epic proportions.
halo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Why do I expect to see tentacles and panties in vending machines to show up in the Top 10 List?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
People watch David Letterman still?

It's like a music gimmick two years past its sell-by date appearing on a late night talk show about ten years past its sell-by date.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I will definitely tune into that episode. I'm really excited to see what kind of recognition Miku is going to get after this, because there is a wider demographic of people that watch David Letterman. More than just western otaku will be seeing her.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Why, I am afraid that it will probably spark the hatred to virtual singer instead. Like, there is this channel in youtube which features making tiny foods made with combining powders and water (Japan made) and despite of that channel being quite popular, there are a lot of haters saying that it is fake food etc. I can imagine how people there would say Why are you using virtual singers! Fake singers! etc

Hopefully I am just being overly concerned.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:36 pm Reply with quote
We already heard this days ago. Some people are thinking of showing up with the wigs on (late-night shows tickets are free but random). Some friends already got into a few different late-night shows and even featured on TV. Laughing

This is the same week as the high-demand NY Comic Con and a week before Hatsune Miku at the Hammerstein Ballroom in the same area. As everybody knows, Letterman is retiring, with Stephen Colbert taking over. So that sense of urgency seems to reinvigorate the show:

"Dave The Triumphant: How Retirement Has Made Letterman Great Again"

• Like a lot of people, I hadn’t been watching Letterman much at the time of his retirement announcement. I’d tune in here or there, but it was obvious that Letterman’s interest level with the show wasn’t high. He seemed distracted at times, often phoning in interviews with the guests he didn’t care about. This was the most disappointing aspect about Letterman in recent years, because when Letterman cares, he’s one of the best interviewers on television. The problem was that it was obvious that Letterman had stopped caring.

Since then, I’ve been consistently watching Letterman again (it’s not like Fallon’s show is leaving anytime soon) and I discovered something remarkable about post-retirement announcement Dave: He seems to be having the time of his life.

The thing is, we’ve all been there. We’ve all had those jobs that made us miserable, but the something changes once two weeks notice is given. All of a sudden, that job seems fun again. And like that, all of the aspects that made us miserable are gone. Why am I leaving again? This is David Letterman right now.

But watching a refreshed Letterman somehow does feel real. Here’s a guy just enjoying his last few months on the job – with a renewed sense of purpose after vanquishing his rival, Leno. Letterman watched as Leno was yanked off the air, replaced with Jimmy Fallon – a public comeuppance after Leno did the same thing to Conan O’Brien. Perhaps this brought peace to Letterman’s mind about losing ‘The Tonight Show’ two decades before. Perhaps Letterman thought to himself, I bet NBC would have done the same thing to me. Instead, Letterman decided his own fate and was surely involved with the picking of his successor. No one forced Letterman out. Letterman got what so few people get in show business: he got to leave on his own terms. Leno won the ratings war, but Letterman won the relevancy war; and the latter is all that really matters.
LuScr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:39 am Reply with quote
Live Miku performances, from what I've seen, work best with a hot crowd that knows the songs. That wasn't the case with the Lady Gaga concerts, nor will it be the case here.

Consequently, I'm expecting this to be a major flop.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:12 am Reply with quote
Still will never get the whole Vocaloid thing, and now I'll presumably have lots of new company!
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:21 am Reply with quote
LuScr wrote:
Live Miku performances, from what I've seen, work best with a hot crowd that knows the songs. That wasn't the case with the Lady Gaga concerts, nor will it be the case here.

Consequently, I'm expecting this to be a major flop.

Even if there was a crowd that knew the songs, the staff would squash any cheering during the performance like they did with SNSD. Regardless, kudos to Letterman for this impressive showcase.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:55 am Reply with quote
This can help America to get a little more interested in anime.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
infamoustakai wrote:
But I'm still going to prepare myself for the impending tsunami of insults and negativity.

Well, it can't be any worse than the pointless negativity within the anime fandom itself. Honestly, I'm not expecting much more than a brief "lolwut, japan's so weird you guys" before everyone forgets about it entirely. Most people are not going to care enough to make much of a fuss. Might even generate some fans.

This is... pretty surprising, though. I guess since Letterman's retiring soon, he's more willing to throw in oddball acts. After all, it's only going to get weirder once Colbert takes over.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
As an America fan of Miku's since 2007 I've gotta say this is sort of exciting! I mean, when I first discovered her and the Vocaloids online one day when I was in the 7th grade I thought they'd never get any acknowledgement what so ever here in the states. I was the only one (besides my twin sister, and my two best friends) who've ever heard of Miku and I thought it'd stay that way forever. But now people are discovering her. They're seeing the future of music through the Vocaloids. I thought I'd never see the day when something from the Pop Culture of Japan (that isn't affiliated with Nintendo or Sanrio) do well her in the states. (Well besides in the anime community) and I certainly didn't think they'd be putting on live concerts of all things! I thought they'd just be an internet thing that everyone online will like and maybe cosplay but it would never get anywhere here. But I was wrong! The Vocaloids (Especially Miku) are now on T-Shirts, Mugs, Plush Toy's, Standee's, performing at concerts (including small anime con's, yeah my local con had a Miku concert! It was sooo cool!) and now on Letterman! This is a huge step from 2007! Way to Go Miku! I usually watch Jimmy Fallon around the time this comes on, but I'll make an exception just this once so I can totally watch you perform!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3