• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Time Well Spent

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
Ah, interesting answer to the separate seasons question.

I've also been wanting to try out a fairly long time series someday as well...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I have been watching a few slice of life shows recently and have noticed that whenever shows about people who work part time jobs at fast food or casual restaurant like Working!! or The Devil is a Part Timer!, why are they so happy?

Someone hasn't seen Rumbling Hearts. The staff of the Sky Temple family restaurant will put your illusions about happiness and good customer service to rest real quick.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Quote:
I have been watching a few slice of life shows recently and have noticed that whenever shows about people who work part time jobs at fast food or casual restaurant like Working!! or The Devil is a Part Timer!, why are they so happy?

Someone hasn't seen Rumbling Hearts. The staff of the Sky Temple family restaurant will put your illusions about happiness and good customer service to rest real quick.

Wasn't Daikuuji the only one with a bad attitude? That more makes her an exaggerated contrast for comic effect. Plus she's the boss' daughter and can't get fired ("Daikuuji"="sky temple").
BrandonL337

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Quote:

There's also [C] Control. The main character and his middle-aged co-worker(or manager? I forget) are both pretty miserable about working in a convenience store.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Japanese anime companies trying to make more money from R1,

Justin has written that in the present, licensing a single anime episode can cost a few thousand dollars ($1,000-3,000). But in the days of the bubble R1 companies paid up to $50,000+ for just 1 episode.

Right now Japanese and U.S. companies appear to have a nice arrangement when it comes to licensing. But I wonder if Japanese companies are considering increasing the prices of licenses (say, $10,000 per episode) to increase their profits from foreign markets.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Kaiji also showed that working in a convenience store under a petty and nasty manager is not all it's cracked up to be.

Justin wrote:
But also, keep in mind, you're watching anime -- and anime about teenagers, at that. It's all going to be idealized, stylized, romanticized. Shows like Wagnaria!! are more about exploring otaku fantasies about the cute waitress at the family restaurant than depicting the grit of real life. Anime is escapist entertainment.

~shocku~

No way; say it ain't so.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
It would not surprise me if we see a much stronger presence from the Japanese companies in the west in due time. Everything is pointing towards it happening.

Aniplex is proving to every other Japanese companies that starting up on their own has made them a whole lot of more money than any middleman ever could. And with Aniplex being as big and successful in Japan it would be truly odd for other JP distribs to not take note of what they're doing.

Quote:
WHY £59.99 / £49.99? ISN’T 3 PARTS A BIT TOO MUCH EVEN IF A COLLECTOR’S EDITION?

This one’s simple and we’ve had a lot of queries already and I want to make sure it’s absolutely clear about this one! This isn’t just one licensor but the industry is pushing to protect the Japanese market over the last few months especially and right now that involves:

1. Cancelling cheap editions Day 1

2. Expanding the number of volumes (4 parts for Sword Art Online for example)

3. Just holding back significantly vs release dates

4. Holding certain extras back to protect value of Blu-Ray

This is from a less than two weeks old blog post from Anime Limited's president, Andrew Partridge, who has been in the industry for a long time and deals directly with the Japanese licensors.

Things aren't looking to great for licensing companies and no, i'm not basing that simply on the blog post above. To be honest, from here on out things will probably just get worse and worse unless they change how they do business. Obviously cheap BDs is the biggest problem here.

But the biggest hurdle is probably the Japanese themselves. A foreign market is not something you just dive into, and they're (probably) aware of that. If/when they start up their own companies in the west they need key people to lead them and to make the start up a not too bumpy process.

Needless to say, it'll be really interesting to see how things turn out.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
BrandonL337 wrote:
invalidname wrote:
Quote:

There's also [C] Control. The main character and his middle-aged co-worker(or manager? I forget) are both pretty miserable about working in a convenience store.

I believe he was a co-worker. I seem to recall that the subject of why a middle-aged man would still be working a "kids'" job came up at some point.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Not an anime but the manga "I'll Give It My All...Tomorrow" is about a 40 old loser who works at a fast food restaurant and it is pretty miserable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Americans tend to fetishize both rebellion and the idea that we're all a special snowflake, so having to work in an unglamorous, low-paying job with little space for creativity or individuality makes us feel like we're wasting our lives, or doing something beneath us.

I'd call it a waste of one's life if you've been working the same soul-crushing service job for five years or more.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of streaming children/family series, I always did wonder why Crunchyroll picked up Bottom-Biting Bug. Was it just insanely cheap or something?
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I know there's a good deal of talk of Aniplex, but let's not forget Bandai closed up and sold the volumes of Gundam UC OVAs worldwide, and as a simultaneous release for everyone. I think they were slightly ahead of the ball than Aniplex USA, though Aniplex has really been running with the model.

Another point is some BD sets started to include English subtitles, for instance a fairly recent release of a Macross Frontier set has official English subs on the Japanese release. They are guessing, and guessed right, that I would import such a thing. animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-12-18/macross-frontier-film-box-adds-new-footage-english-subtitles

Personally I don't mind paying the higher price tags for sets and import boxes. I just don't want to buy Singles. I see Singles coming back as with the Monogatari series sets from Anixplex. I know those are 'arcs' wrapped up in single sets which is nice, but that's really close to Singles.

As to anime costing $50,000 USD an episode I think those numbers were for FMA, which was considered massive at the time, iirc. There has always been a range as to what the licensing costs were.
thenix

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I see it all the time but I still find it shocking when someone basically can't imagine a world that's different than the US. In the US we only try hard if we think we get paid enough and even then we slack off. Why are Japanese people trying really hard to be friendly and nice to each other? It's a cultural difference. Just because the US does it one way doesn't mean that it's the best way or that everyone else does it that way.
lostrune

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
When I visited McDonalds in Japan each time was a much better experience than when I went to any of the McDonalds up and down the west coast here in America. Japan's fast food joints were cleaner, the staff was much nicer and approachable, the food was much higher quality and looked better. Japan's definitely gets a better restaurant experience than we do here from my experiences. Laughing Then again, they don't have the kind of people who would work in fast-food like we do here so maybe that's part of the reason... along with Japan's general overall higher standards.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
Not an anime but the manga "I'll Give It My All...Tomorrow" is about a 40 old loser who works at a fast food restaurant and it is pretty miserable.

I watched the live action movie of this on a flight to or from Japan and quite enjoyed it.

Japanese title: Ore wa Mada Honki Dashitenai Dake / 俺はまだ本気出してないだけ 通常版 (2013).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5