• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - BevMo

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Cogratulations Zac and Justin on your 200th episode. I do not always agree with your opinions, but you usually offer worthwhile insight in the industry. I particularly enjoy the Supernerds episodes because you, Mike and Daryl know and can talk about lots of anime and other things related to the fandom. Keep up with the good work, and I look forward to another 200 episodes.

I assume you are pretty happy with the current format of the ANN Cast. But I actually have a humble suggestion; I hope I do not come across as a smart ass trying to tell you how to do your show. I am aware that sometimes time does not allow you to have a new show every week. My suggestion is for you to consider doing an ANN Cast once a month.

You could have a monthly 3-hour show, broken into several segments. Zac and Justin could start with a 30-45 minutes segment talking about what they have been doing and discuss something news worthy in the industry. The second segment could be the interview with guests, Supernerds or Funimation's update. And for a third segment, it would be great to have Theron and Carl (and, if possible, other reviewers) talk about the current season for 45-60 minutes.

I know that it is presumptions to tell you how to do the show, but I, respectfully, wanted to let you know about my suggestion. Thanks for taking the time to read this long post.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Nice episode with Chris & Happy 200 Episodes. Also, nice callback at the very end; I was wondering if it was going to make an "appearance".
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Congrats on 200, and it's mind boggling that 5 years have already gone by since the show started.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Congratz on the 200 Anncast. I've listened to all of them bonus, live at cons or otherwise.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations, this podcast has always been a pleasure to listen to. I don't comment every week, far from it, but still try to keep up with the new releases at my own pace. There's been a good variety of guests and topics that rarely fails to be interesting or entertaining in some capacity.

I really appreciate the time and effort that Zac, Justin and everyone else involved has put into making each episode. Hopefully the next landmark will bring even more surprises and memorable moments.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Congrats on episode 200.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I think the "50 volume" hentai Chris mentioned was Futari H/Step Up Love Story.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
At first I was wondering what Chris Beveridge could possibly have said in the interview to merit something like six disclaimers at the start of the show......

Happy 200th! It's a great podcast.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
I think the "50 volume" hentai Chris mentioned was Futari H/Step Up Love Story.

I suspect you're right. That thing's been around forever.

BTW, glad they took the question about hentai. What originally prompted me to ask it was noticing that Fandom Post has run reviews where I could swear that the title had come out years ago. I guess the one that caught my eye was Maple Colors, and sure enough, it's a re-release. And I'm thinking "why on Earth would you re-release hentai? Is there not a flood of new stuff coming out that you would license instead?" Apparently not much that doesn't get excluded by the "nasty squick" and the "probably illegal in parts of the US" filters.
addiemon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
At first I was wondering what Chris Beveridge could possibly have said in the interview to merit something like six disclaimers at the start of the show......

Happy 200th! It's a great podcast.

I THOUGHT THE SAME THING.
shouamabane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the work, guys. The decades shows have been great. Some sort of addendum or revisit to those would also be great.

Regarding Image Comics, Zac would love Saga and Manhattan Projects. God Hates Astonauts, Sex, and Low are great. Fatale, Satellite Sam, and Deadly Class are very good.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Is there not a flood of new stuff coming out that you would license instead?" Apparently not much that doesn't get excluded by the "nasty squick" and the "probably illegal in parts of the US" filters.

Personally, I think Chris is full of shit on this. A good amount of the monthly hentai anime are still as vanilla and unsquick as they ever were: no children, all highschool girls with enormous racks. His response makes it sound like 100% of releases are things unsuitable for any tastes, and that's being disingenuous at best, flat out lying at worst. As for things that could count as squick, they're still going to feature acts that are perfectly legal in the US, like tentacles, futanari, and bondage, the same old we've had for ages. When I see people bitching about it, it always comes off as "I don't like it, therefore no one else should." And further "And I don't think it should even be available to those who enjoy it."

No, the real reason none of it's being licensed is because Japan doesn't want the R1 world have uncensored releases that devalue their own, whether it be through legitimate product or piracy. It's as simple as that when you're dealing with one-episode discs that cost 6000 yen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1