• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hunter x Hunter Manga to Continue Hiatus

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDude042

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Another thing I'm curious about since I don't know how it works in Japan/the specific field, is Togashi getting paid while taking hiatus? Do mangaka get paid hourly or on a salary? I'd hate to think that he would be making money while just neglecting his work, especially if he's doing it on purpose, then he doesn't deserve the money. Despite half the masses defending Togashi and saying cut him some slack, I can completely understand why the other half masses is fed up with Togashi and think he's just a lying bum. I don't blame them one bit for feeling that way. Why can't his superiors just do something about it? Is the workplace attitude in Japan just that carefree?
Zellion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't want to be that guy, but I do seriously question whether he has a serious illness..

I know his entitled to his privacy, but there hasn't been even a slight indication or even a rumour about his so called illness...

Funny enough though, I was reading something a Hxh Japanese fan blogs and they were saying that his generally had enough and feels his life is comfortable enough.

If I'm completely off the mark, then apologies. But, to me, something seems a little fishy.
bigivel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
JDude042 wrote:
Another thing I'm curious about since I don't know how it works in Japan/the specific field, is Togashi getting paid while taking hiatus? Do mangaka get paid hourly or on a salary? I'd hate to think that he would be making money while just neglecting his work, especially if he's doing it on purpose, then he doesn't deserve the money. Despite half the masses defending Togashi and saying cut him some slack, I can completely understand why the other half masses is fed up with Togashi and think he's just a lying bum. I don't blame them one bit for feeling that way. Why can't his superiors just do something about it? Is the workplace attitude in Japan just that carefree?

Authors are paid in three forms!
- Paid by page! This is the main form of payment they get from the chapters they do.
- Paid by book royalties! This is the most profitable way they earn money.
- Appreciation money the magazine gives for the author contribution in the success of the magazine.

Togashi during an hiatus, he doesn't receive the money per page, given that he doesn't do any, nor the appreciation money(or at least little) given that he in that year contributes near to nothing to the magazine. But he still keeps receiving the volumes money given that they are selling.
mashimizu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what to believe anymore. All I know is that after the anime finishes I'm done. I hear that the anime is gonna stop in a good place so I'll just accept that as the ending to the series for now. If he ever finishes the current arc or the anime resumes I'll come back to it.
1thought

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
From what I understand only once was it because of illness that he took a hiatus the first time other reasons is Shueisha probably doesn't want him to do a Yu Yu Hakusho and just end the series so they let him take breaks. Maybe he said let me take breaks when I want or I'll end this series. But now he has a injury which can happen and unfortunately did. Now if Shueisha wanted some more regular chapters maybe they should come up with how about 1 chapter a month scenario. However I guess weekly with breaks is maybe how either Shueisha wants it or how Togashi wants it.

Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball) wanted a break after the Freezer arc and was denied.In retrospect said if he was given a break then and had time to think he could've came up with something better story wise instead of just another really tough guy shows up. And if he didn't have to work that weekly hell schedule Dragon Ball would've lasted even longer than it did.

Anyways weekly manga aren't exactly a regular job it's a creative job and a lot of hours usually 60-75 hours a week Naoki Urasawa recommends no one become a manga artist because it's not the great job you might think it is. He also feels a lot of manga creators died too young from overworking like Osamu Tezuka.

For the first 6 years Togashi put out HXH basically weekly and in the last 10 still put out 130 chapters that's still more than a American comic with it's 1 a month would have. So the guy wanted to rest and to enjoy his life instead of working himself to death.
With what I hear creators say a lot of time about the workload I think that weekly manga just isn't in the best interest of the creators and it probably should become something that is biweekly for some and monthly for the rest.
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
The primary culprits are the japanese fans that put up with his BS.

Anytime there is a new volume it sells just extremely well, if fans have no issue and the volumes show no signs of decline, Shieisha/Jump must have no issue and Togashi gets away with it, this is seriously unprecedented.

I guess at the beginning his powerful wife managed to get his lazy butt do what he wished then as he and the publisher noticed fans didn't care and continued to buy the manga then all parties involved are happy and Shueisha as no reason to pressure him by now.

Most customers have no pride, like to be treated like trash, most of the time by companies, but in Togashi´s case its really something very rare, I dont remember another case like this one in the manga industry and with no repercussions.

While he has talent as a writer, (his drawing skills are garbage thou) HxH is not the greatest manga ever to get way like this, and even then it should be inexcusable be it from a very prominent mangaka or a superb manga.

The ones that should raise their voice are the fans, refusing to buy his manga and making it more rich that he already is, so he knows ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, and even then I guess his wife´s money is enough to get him the lazy life he wants (not counting his)

He should just ends HxH and call it quits. His and his wifes fortune must be enough to get him the lazy and easy life he so adores.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I think most people who follow the manga would rather it not end inconclusively like so many have done. Now, if he really "treated [them] like trash", I highly doubt people who buy the tankoubons or read the new chapters when he deigns to deliver.
lamel2g

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm an anime watcher, I haven't read the manga, so I was briefly holding up out hope that the anime might return a year from now like Fairy Tail after the manga created some more separation. But unfortunately the Hiatus x Hiatus nickname is so ever true.
IKKIsama

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
1thought wrote:
Anyways weekly manga aren't exactly a regular job it's a creative job and a lot of hours usually 60-75 hours a week Naoki Urasawa recommends no one become a manga artist because it's not the great job you might think it is. He also feels a lot of manga creators died too young from overworking like Osamu Tezuka.

Tezuka died of cancer.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:03 am Reply with quote
HIs last words were also "I'm begging you, let me work!", which, IIRC, was a plea to a nurse who took his drawing things away.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2