• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Family: Utah Man Was Cosplaying Samurai Champloo When Shot, Killed by Police

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Here you think cops should be granted a blank slate just because they're tired? Are you kidding me?

Depends on the circumstances. It's never black and white. For example, if an officer who has worked a 16 hour shift and is extremely fatigued is involved in a physical fight with a subject who is 6'4", weighs 250 lbs and is being wailed on by the subject, I see nothing wrong with killing the subject. The cop could argue that it was "kill or be killed", and also, quite possibly, if he did not shoot, the subject could have gotten his gun and then used that on any bystanders.

Quote:
Knowing when to shoot is vital. And this was obviously not a time to shoot. There must be ramifications for stupidity when it erases innocent lives or it will only spread.

I never made any evaluation on this particular case in my previous post. I agree with you that it's important to know when to shoot, and every law enforcement agency, including military, explain this concept in detail. However, textbook cases don't always apply to the real world, and that's something that someone in any profession can tell you.
Dfens

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
People need to calm down until the investigation is completed. Yes the autopsy looks bad in the way of the officers involved but we don't know what led up to the initial call, and what went down when the Police made first contact with the young man.

If you are open carrying a freaking Sword in public you are asking for trouble whether it's legal or not. Either he was plain stupid, mental, or just didn't give a dam I doubt that he would have lost his life if he left it at home.

In my state as well not a lot of people know you can open carry a bladed weapon. But it still has various restrictions. Certain government buildings, all schools, and certain counties/cities are a no go. Also even if you open carry a sword or knife it has to be in a sheath at all times visible on your person so no covering any part of it with a coat etc.

So if the kid had the sword out of the sheath he already was breaking the law and causing a unnecessary panic.

Also how were the officers suppose to know it was a replica looks pretty darn real to me and at a distance they can't take that chance.

Just because it's legal doesn't mean you should do it. Open carrying a handgun without a permit was legal in my state until it scared the public and was all over the news. The whole F-the public it's my right attitude got the laws changed and it was banned. Even when it was legal I still didn't do it because the Cops could legally stop you at any time and I didn't want to be hassled every five minutes.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Police said Hunt brandished the unsheathed sword and lunged at the officers.

Truth or cover-up?

Last edited by revolutionotaku on Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
you know, I just realized part of why this pisses me off so badly.

about 10 years ago I had two white people stalking me. one was former military and they had access to multiple live steel weapons. they posted several threats to me online, and at one time they even broke into my house when my dad forgot to lock the door after leaving for work at 5am and messed with my computer and at the same time also messed with my car. they actively tried to follow me to a convention I had planned on going and made public that they planned to mess with me ("f*ck me up" as they put it) there...

and yet when trying to get the police to do something I couldn't get anything done. I got told BS about their rights and how unless I could prove without a doubt they'd done what they mentioned and messed with my property doing anything to them would be a violation of those rights.

so a white dude who got kicked out of the Marines without ever seeing active duty because he was deemed mentally unstable and was actively threatening me and owned live steel weapons has more rights protected than a black kid out cosplaying a few days after a con with a prop katana does.

yeah... that has me pissed.
kanechin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
revolutionotaku wrote:
Why aren't the major news networks like CNN reporting this?

They Don't Care

but they care enough to act like they're morally right concerning japan and lolicon.

Anyway I believe this is racism, sadly this will end the usual way: those azzholes getting paid for doing nothing then eventually going back to work to rinse and repeat.
I want mandatory cameras on these "guardians" and if there is any damage to the camera or tweaking to footage then it must be assumed the officer is up to no good and will lose his/her job immediately.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:
That is true, however, police still have the right to stop and question people who do carry weapons. In a world where terrorism is a major concern it isn't uncommon for officers to stop people for carrying weapons of any kind.

The police officers are terrorists themselves. :/ We DON'T NEED any police officers who are too 'bleeping' paranoid just about anything. They just don't know how to do 'to protect and to serve', not 'to kill anyone who are suspicious and to lie to cover-up'
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
WillyD, it is perfectly legal to open carry guns (and swords) in Utah. That would not be a problem.

Now what would be a problem is if the cops assumed the victim was "dangerous" because of race. Surely you agree that would be a problem, right?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Based on the article, I'd say this situation sounds *much* more suspicious than the Ferguson shooting. In fact, it looks like the police might've just shot him in the back. There were witnesses to the shooting, right? I'd be *very* interested in hearing their comments.

If the guy was actually going after cops with the sword, then they had every right to blow him away. If he wasn't, then the cops involved should face trial.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
If the guy was actually going after cops with the sword, then they had every right to blow him away. If he wasn't, then the cops involved should face trial.

TBT, you would need to be Kirito to use a melee weapon against a loaded gun with a respectable distance between the two and expect to have any kind of success, unless you are covered in body armor or under the influence or drugs, which is not the case since it has not been reported.
Ladymage Samiko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Ultimatum wrote:
Have you been reading this thread? Cause a LOT of people have been accusing/suspecting Hunt of doing something suspicious. Also, why play the devil's advocate? Just give your own impression of the situation instead of hiding behind "Well, look at this other side!" Unless that is your own impression. The devil needs no advocate, they've got their own supporters.

I did read through the thread; the general feel I got was a number of people declaring the police guilty and raining abuse on them.

You say to give my own impression of the situation. I don't have one; I don't have—or have not had—access to sufficient evidence to formulate one. My purpose was to counter all of the snap judgments in an attempt to remind people to step back and look at all sides of a story before making a decision. Perhaps it was unjustifiable homicide. Perhaps it wasn't. But I'm not going to lay blame on anyone until I believe I know enough to make that kind of judgment.

Ultimatum wrote:
I wish I could be as positive about the cops as you. But you can't just excuse these recent killings of unarmed black people, and the ensuing coverups and terrible behavior from the police force, with "they're just normal guys, they make mistakes."

I'm not making excuses for anyone. But the media plays on everybody's emotions and whips up this distrust and hatred to garner more ratings. If they were bigoted, trigger-happy arseholes, then they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. But if they weren't, then they're getting—and are going to get—a lot of grief for trying to do their jobs as best they could.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
The "Police killed a black man dressed up like an anime character" story mentions that the mom said "They killed my son because he's black. No white boy with a little sword would they shoot while he's running away".

Maybe they would even if he was white. Until it's determined if race was a factor, the mom making such a statement can mean she's showing her ignorance/being oversensitive.
Alunimus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Ah, the American policemen. Shoot first, ask second. Are they being tought this in the police academy, be unreasonable and circle their guns round and round? Or is it a standard to accept nervous fellows there? Because that's not the first case. Some protection of law and order they are.
traveling

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Until it's determined if race was a factor, the mom making such a statement can mean she's showing her ignorance/being oversensitive.

Yes, that ignorant, irrational mother that just lost her child.

spoiler[My sensibilities won't allow me to give you much more sarcasm than that.]
iAmDot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
American police were like "pew pew pew".
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Depends on the circumstances. It's never black and white. For example, if an officer who has worked a 16 hour shift and is extremely fatigued is involved in a physical fight with a subject who is 6'4", weighs 250 lbs and is being wailed on by the subject, I see nothing wrong with killing the subject. The cop could argue that it was "kill or be killed", and also, quite possibly, if he did not shoot, the subject could have gotten his gun and then used that on any bystanders.

But the criminal justice system has ample space for special circumstances that mean the normal legal results don't apply: affirmative defences, pleas in mitigation, that sort of thing.

There's nothing about police work that the criminal justice system can't handle, there's no particular reason to give police officers special legal exemptions because... well, the normal exemptions and special-case-handling processes are actually pretty good.

If the criminal justice system isn't reliable enough for police officers then they should fix it. But not just for themselves, for all of us. "Qualified immunity" is selfishness.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13