• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo of Australia to Release New 3DS in November

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
Nintendo sucks! This device will have its own games NOT compatible with the original 3DS. And they wonder why they're struggling in the console market.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
We all know why it's heading down under first for a Western release, because Nintendo knows of the backlash and thus realizes this may be a huge flop, so they're testing the waters. It doesn't help that the name is confusing to parents and non-gamers (like the WiiU), so chances are it won't be in kids' hands as much.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I wish the New 3DSXL model had changeable faceplates and SNES buttons. Why couldn't they do that for both? I've been wanting to upgrade from my original 3DS to an XL for a while, but now this makes me want the New regular model instead. I'm glad I decided not to buy the old 3DS XL (these naming schemes are ridiculous) until these were announced. I'm always worried I'll buy something and it will be immediately outdated by newer tech. Because that's what always happens.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Nintendo sucks! This device will have its own games NOT compatible with the original 3DS. And they wonder why they're struggling in the console market.

I wouldn't call 40 million sales flopping. Every new iteration of a comsole generally loses backwards compatibility. Its a nice thing sure, but far from a requirement. Is the exclusive games anti-consumer, sure, will it get people to buy it if they want those games? Yes.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Australia, the region notorious for getting licensed releases late and the "new" console that is region locked.

I am not envious at all that they are getting the hardware first.
kanechin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
can't wait to hear how midna is removed from the aus ver because of nudity and flat chest and their peach amiibo has a white void under the skirt.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Not in the handheld, the 3DS surpasses the Vita by miles and thus have a system with similar processing power is an even bigger plus. Home consoles are a different story as the Wii U is massively struggling with its lack of innovation.

kanechin wrote:
can't wait to hear how midna is removed from the aus ver because of nudity and flat chest and their peach amiibo has a white void under the skirt.
Care to explain?
D no Amerika

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm upset about no backwards compatibility myself, but he didn't say it was like that, did he? Let's not put words in his mouth. Plus, we should expect stuff like that anyway. We can't expect every new iteration to have backwards compatibility that allows it play older games with the slip of the disc/cartridge. I know it stinks, but we have to get used to change.
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:16 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
We all know why it's heading down under first for a Western release, because Nintendo knows of the backlash and thus realizes this may be a huge flop, so they're testing the waters. It doesn't help that the name is confusing to parents and non-gamers (like the WiiU), so chances are it won't be in kids' hands as much.

Actually no, the reason is rather simple. AU and NZ are considered curiosity markets, we make money, but it costs a lot more to operate here due to the size and the physical distance across which that market sits.

If you look at NOJ's sales data to date you'll see that over the complete lifespan of the 3DS they have sold over 44 million units world wide. In the video Tom mentions a figure, it's up to you to decide if he's saying "several hundred thousand" or "seven hundred thousand" but considering the 3DS sold 200,000 units in the first 37 weeks of operation back in 2011 (source) I believe over the 172 weeks since it's April 11 release date it has had a fair chance of beating the 700,000 install base in AU / NZ (tho that sell rate is depressing, 500,000 units sold over 2.5 years -_-).

But coming back to the point, if we take that number, 700,000 units and compare with the figure of units sold to date, 44,140,000, Australia has sold a total of 2% of the world market's 3DS's. For comparison the Americas has sold 34% of the world's 3DS units and Japan has 37%.

So it's dead simple to just grab say, 20,000 units and sell them over Australia and NZ before Christmas, it's such a smaller quantity of units required compared to NA it's not surprising they have started doing this. Not that I'm saying they're only going to have 20,000, I just pulled a feasible number out of a hat.

But you are 110% correct on the naming of the WiiU, the people I know in Games retail are already considering their options due to how much more confusing it's going to be (and they've already been there with the DSi >.<)

the-antihero wrote:

D no Amerika wrote:
I'm upset about no backwards compatibility myself, but he didn't say it was like that, did he? Let's not put words in his mouth. Plus, we should expect stuff like that anyway. We can't expect every new iteration to have backwards compatibility that allows it play older games with the slip of the disc/cartridge. I know it stinks, but we have to get used to change.

The New 3DS will have games like Xenoblade Chronicles that will not work on the 3DS or 2DS, similar to the games made for the DSi that wouldn't work on the DS or the Game Boy Color games that wouldn't work on the Game Boy (there was some that were backwards compatible, but here's a link to every ninty handheld compared).

We've been through this before, but that's why I still have my original DS, GBA Micro and GBA SP, (advance games are excellent). I for one welcome wii portability on the new 3DS.

And they're not exactly struggling, you can see the sales data direct from Nintendo of Japan right here for every console to date. It's not brilliant but not terrible by any measure.

If there's one thing you should remember when it comes to Nintendo. Nintendo does as Nintendo wants.

FenixFiesta wrote:
Australia, the region notorious for getting licensed releases late and the "new" console that is region locked.

I am not envious at all that they are getting the hardware first.

We have been getting several titles earlier in AU. Bravely Default was Dec 7th here compared with Feb 7 in NA, Wonderful 101 was day and date with Japan, Aug 24 compared with September 15 in NA, Fantasy Life is September 27 to October 24 in NA.

And the 3DS was also Region Locked, the news was that they were continuing the trend with the new 3DS instead of removing it as we all wanted -_-;
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Home consoles are a different story as the Wii U is massively struggling with its lack of innovation.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's because of the lack of innovation. I mean, the Wii U at least tried to do something different. The problem is it just isn't resonating with gamers like they did with the Wii like they had hoped. Plus, it doesn't help that the marketing and branding is confusing for more casual fans, and the whole gamepad thing is still mistaken as a portable by some. And there's the heavy competition of those other two home consoles currently on the market. You know, with how "next gen" they are, everybody has to have one. And also, if Wii U isn't innovative then PS4 and Xbox One aren't either. At least, not in the dramatic sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1