• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: 9 Bizarre Anime Cats from Another Universe

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
momogoldfish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:42 am Reply with quote
More depressing backstory about Doraemon! Doraemon used to have ears, but rats ate them resulting in his life long fear over rats. Hence why Nobita's grandson got him cheap.

Sigh crossdressers, do we mean trap or obvious...for traps I'd suggest Kuranosuke, Ruka and Jun and obvious Charlotter from Bleach for starters...why are there so many choices?!
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:53 am Reply with quote
Are black cats more popular/ common in Japan than in the west? I've noticed that if you see cats in anime or Japanese video games they tend to be black.

I approve of this because black cats are super cute.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:44 am Reply with quote
I always liked the cat from the Ghost Stories dub, can't think of the name off the top of my head, and of course I love Nyanko-sensei from Natsume Yuujinchou, although technically neither of them are cats....

I never really considered Utena a cross-dresser since she does wear dresses and a few more girly outfits when wearing her school uniform, can't wait to see the results of the poll though!

EDIT: Also, is there a reason why this thread ended up in the UK talkback forum instead of the general/American one?

Last edited by wandering-dreamer on Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:45 am Reply with quote
momogoldfish wrote:
More depressing backstory about Doraemon! Doraemon used to have ears, but rats ate them resulting in his life long fear over rats. Hence why Nobita's grandson got him cheap.

Suddenly I want Naoki Urasawa to make an awesome emo thriller out of Doraemon a la Pluto/Astro Boy.

Penguin_Factory wrote:
Are black cats more popular/ common in Japan than in the west? I've noticed that if you see cats in anime or Japanese video games they tend to be black.

I approve of this because black cats are super cute.

The pragmatic/cynical side of me wonders if this originated in manga because a black cat is very distinguishable on a black and white page, but I couldn't tell you for sure. It may just be that they don't have the same bad-luck stigma for black cats out there? I know one of the big delivery companies that you see logos for all over the place, Yamato Transport, uses a black mom and baby cat as a logo.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote
I remember watching the second season of Haruhi and going, "Wow, Shamisen is kind of a smart ass".

"Maybe the sounds you hear just resemble human speech" or something like that. No Shamisen, you're freakin' talking! Oh well, he was a good cat, though.

Although, I must contest this list. How does Nyanpire, a show that hasn't aired yet, get a spot of ahead of God from Pani Poni Dash? He's a talking cat that claims to be God and has an odd fascination with soda temperature that also lives in a soda machine. That seems a tad bit more strange than a cat vampire to me. Totally agree with random black cat from Trigun being number one, though.

But yea, I love this new piece. Maybe it's because I'm a guy, and guys love lists, but this a nice read. Perhaps you could incorporate the community section to help out sometimes *nudge nudge* * wink wink*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote
you gotta love them kitties, some animes would not be the same with out them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that's weird it being in the UK thread.

Anyway, good fun list! Although one cat I thought of were those bizarre-looking Mars cats from Aria.

And favorite cross dresser... hmmm... wow, if you'd asked me this like a week ago, I probably would've said Ritsu from Fruits Basket or Nuriko from Fushigi Yuugi. Or maybe Haruhi's dad from Ouran. But now I'm going to have to go with Shuichi Nitori from Wandering Son. I just started that manga and love it with its touching story about a boy coming to terms with his transvestism.

EDIT: How bizarre, I didn't even see the link for the poll; I just thought it was a "comment on your fave crossdresser" type deal. :X Luckily my choice was on there!

Last edited by kyokun703 on Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:11 am Reply with quote
Great list! I love that you have Chiyo-chan's dad. I agree with wandering-dreamer that Amanojaku from Ghost Story (at least the English dub) is a memorable character too. This list was a lot of fun to read. Anime smile
Racheldoublemm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote
I was kinda thinking Haiji frrom Moonphase since.....she doesn't have a rectum. Laughing

Also, Amanojaggoff is a complete and utter favorite because of Rob Mungle. In fact, the original script and performance had me loving that cat.

I first went strait to Kuranosuke for the poll........but then I saw Yoshino and Shuichi and Oscar....and Hana....

That is a HARD list to choose from. Makes it more fun, I suppose. Very Happy

I love this!
OtakuboyT

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote
What??/ Not kotatsu-neko from UY?

A ghost cast big a person who walks around but never says anything, a guest of high school principals and monks.

http://urusei.wikia.com/wiki/Kotatsu-neko
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote
Some great choices, but I would have certainly added "God" from Pani Poni Dash and Sakamoto from Nichijou.

Also, wandering-dreamer is right, why is this in the UK "section"?
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:31 am Reply with quote
I was kind of expecting Kyaa from Please Save My Earth to be in the "weird-cat list", but oh well. Maybe a giant, sunglasses-wearing alien cat isn't weird enough...? Wink
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:33 am Reply with quote
Funny list, but the lack of God from Pani Poni Dash makes me sad Sad
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's here because the first poster used the UK URL to access the forum? Anyway, what does it matter in which section it is.

Who to pick from the crossdressers list? Minami-ke needs more love, so Makoto? Hourou Musuko handles the subject matter much much better though, but Shuichi or Yoshino then? I picked Yoshino in the end because girl→boy is so rare, and because Shuichi's taste in clothes is too girly.
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:00 pm Reply with quote
LOVE this post.
I'm a HUGE dobutsu-anime fan....so anything involving cute anime mascots is an automatic "AWESOME" in my book.
(Although, I personally think that Chiyo-chan's Dad and the Catbus are MUCH stranger then Kuroneko-sama......)

Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5