• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Hatoful Boyfriend

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveriley

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:24 pm Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
I never expected Hatoful to be reviewed here. It's a very nice review, although... you really have to put the spoilers there, do you?
I know this goes a little harder at spoilers than your average review (even mine, and I'm less into avoiding all potential spoilers than most), but I felt it was necessary. Both because I figure most readers would already know what it was about/have already played it, so I wanted to serve them by going a little deeper, and because I wanted to say something about the game besides "wow, wacky pigeons!" for people who hadn't played it, to give an impression of how clever the game is, and how's it more than just a goofy one-off joke.

JesuOtaku wrote:
I would feel completely different about the game if it wasn't for Angel's route and the True Ending.

Those two routes changed eeeeeeverything.

But seriously, if it was just a one-joke gimmick game, it'd be different. It's the jaw-dropping commitment to the concept in the final routes that make it something different altogether. Very Happy
I'm definitely in it to win it for Anghel. To that point I was like of like "Oh, this is cute" but he's far and above the most charming and the source of most of my laugh out loud moments. I went with San the first time, so I thought that prepped me for anything, but I wasn't really ready for what Anghel brought, especially hot on the heels of Gundham Tanaka. Both were really great, and I got to learn about a new character archetype.

BBL didn't hit me as hard as it did others, from what I'm reading around the internet. It was all right, and I wasn't bored, but like the revelations were that exciting, and a part of me was happier when it was just this big, goofy, exuberant joke. That's the tone that really gripped me with Hatoful Boyfriend.

Still, I gotta agree that it's impressive how they laced together the plots. I think BBL was a late addition? If so, it's even cooler how they laced together all these seemingly separate character quirks, most of which feel like they're there just be one-offs, like you said--like oh, you gotta have the playboy with the dark secret, the sad, shy kid. Seeing them all mushed together instead of being the standard dating sim route where every path is a completely separate affair with little intermingling was neat. I definitely respect the effort that went into BBL, but I was more into the Azamis and Anghels.
GUOD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:51 am Reply with quote
It's amazing how many morons who are actually interested and seem to like this kind of crap. The kind of morons who buy/play crap like "Goat Simulator".

The fact these kind of idiotic games have somehow passed through "Greenlight" and got on to Steam is disgraceful and is only indicative of the decline of the human race's already dwindling intellect.

I guess there's no limit to human stupidity.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:37 am Reply with quote
GUOD wrote:
calling people morons, calling games idiotic and no limit to stupidity etc

Your freshly made account just make that obvious that you're just a troll.

Actually, what's wrong with that simulator games? I mean, well maybe they don't really have a point but people have fun playing it, and that's all. Not everything in this world must serve as some kind of intellectual purpose. People just want to have fun, playing as a goat, a rock etc.

And, Hatoful is totally different with that simulation game you mentioned. Have you played Hatoful? No? Well, you judge this game solely on how it looks but you never knew or tried to get into the depth. I also played this first just for laugh, but this game is actually more complex than how it looks.

If you want something intellectual, then maybe you should just stay in a laboratory and try to fix that human stupidity you are concerned about. I'm sure someone -who is not a moron, not idiotic and absolutely has higher intelligence stat than everyone else here- like you have a solution to stop that human intelligence declining issue.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:09 am Reply with quote
They might as well make it into a Hitchcock-style film.
The Risky Penguin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
This was my first VN and I loved it. At that time, only the demo was out which had different options than the full version. Like spoiler[The first choice can have you end up dead but gave you preview to the BBL story.] When I re-bought the game on Steam, I decided to call the main lady, Human Girl. It gave me a few more laughs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Guile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
GUOD wrote:
It's amazing how many morons who are actually interested and seem to like this kind of crap. The kind of morons who buy/play crap like "Goat Simulator".

The fact these kind of idiotic games have somehow passed through "Greenlight" and got on to Steam is disgraceful and is only indicative of the decline of the human race's already dwindling intellect.

I guess there's no limit to human stupidity.

I do not think it's fair to compare the two games. Hatoful Boyfriend is an actual game, while Goat Simulator is just an unfinished, buggy program made solely for the purpose of giving YouTubers a thing to mess around with and make videos. I can understand not liking those games, but Hatoful Boyfriend wasn't made with that intention and is a legitimate game.

That being said, it is a bit disappointing this is usually what the first thing people think of when they hear visual novels in America. It seems like it's one of the only VNs the west cares about because of the whole bird aspect of it, which usually gets more attention than the actual game or medium itself.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I had to laugh at this review. I didn't even expect that this review would be done.
Treetastic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:25 am Reply with quote
Hating on a game you haven't played, how edgy. *yawn*

By all means continue your crusade against the ignorant unwashed masses who enjoyed Hatoful Boyfriend, just know that you look like a complete doofus to anyone actually familiar with the game.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote
I bet the haters who wrote absolutely negative review on this game had never actually played the game till the end. They merely judge this game by the cover (which is... full of birds) and they hate the positive reviews without reading it.

I also read Kotaku's interview with the dev teams who brought Hatoful to Steam and I completely agree with them somehow.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I've been interested in this game for a while and after reading this review finally decided to purchase it and i loved every minute!

It was funny and touching and BBL had me stay up way past my bedtime because i just had to finish it (and then it almost made me cry). It would have been ever better if it was voiced, but well, can't have it all...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2