• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Sword Art Online: Extra Edition, Silver Spoon 2 on Home Video

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
$60 for one glorified recap/beach episode? Wow, this is a new low for Aniplex.

At least they're dubbing it... but it's probably not going to end up on Toonami anyway, and I've gone long past caring about it. Big whoop.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
$60 for one glorified recap/beach episode? Wow, this is a new low for Aniplex.

Complaining about the price of a stupid recap episode. Wow, that is a new low for price bitching.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Blatch, ANN lists a runtime of 100 minutes for this special. Is that inaccurate? Because "one episode" would not have 100 minutes running length.

EDIT: Also Silver Spoon 2 finished airing in late March and it's getting released in a full set in December? That's rather impressive turnaround.

Last edited by Megiddo on Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Blatch, ANN lists a runtime of 100 minutes for this special. Is that inaccurate? Because "one episode" would not have 100 minutes running length.

It is accurate that it's that long since it's a movie-length episode.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Well, yeah, but the fact is, very little of the episode matters into the story. They're charging us an equivalent amount for a "special" that's at least 1/3 recap, and 2/3 extra fluff.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Well then obviously if you don't think the content of the special is worth purchasing then you can forgo the purchase. Like I don't think the GuP specials are worth the price tag Sentai put on them so I just bought the TV series collection.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm just happy Silver Spoon's second season is getting released! ^^
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Dammit Aniplex USA couldn't you have announced this at the time it aired? Means I wouldn't have to buy it twice. Oh well I'll buy the special again (and at a fantastic price), it was as good a recap/special as you could get, the new scenes were fab.

Not fussed about Silver Spoon, found both seasons to be rather dull.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe they're actually releasing Extra Edition as a separate release. I thought they just wouldn't release it on DVD/Blu Ray at all. I wonder how many people would actually bite.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
Dammit Aniplex USA couldn't you have announced this at the time it aired? Means I wouldn't have to buy it twice.

Aniplex USA probably bet that no one will be foolish enough to import a raw BD copy of Extra Edition.
NormanicGrav

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
As long as Sword Art Online: Extra Edition gets a chipboard artbox (like the first four box sets of SAO Season 1) then I'm fine with the price.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least they're consistent? Second season of Silver Spoon also comes without slip cover and postcards, and at the same price as the other sets that do...
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Well. At least SAO is hilariously bad and Silver Spoon depressingly boring. :< So, no use getting worked up over Aniplex claiming stuff that isn't exactly quality tier to begin with.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Personally I'm curious what the exclusive poster looks like, is it the picture in the article? I need more bikini girl posters for my room.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking last night while binge watching SAO II (I'm really bad at keeping up with currently airing shows) what was going to happen with Extra Edition. Good to see it's getting an English Dub. It'll keep me sane while waiting for them to dub SAO II.

Megiddo wrote:
Like I don't think the GuP specials are worth the price tag Sentai put on them so I just bought the TV series collection.
Honestly, I'm kind of pissed off that so many of you guys complain about Aniplex. I'd love to be able to get all that Limited Edition stuff but the import costs are ridiculous and the BD is probably region locked. Here in Australia the only shows that have gotten the 'Limited Edition' treatment were Psycho Pass and Attack on Titan and they were pretty much just watered down versions of Funimation's Limited Edition with the same price tag.

The one company who I do think it is worth complaining about is Sentai. Really sub par English Dubs, big blocky yellow subtitles, no extras and a $60 pricetag? Why are you guys okay with that yet complain when Aniplex try to do something cool that no other company in the world is doing? It's not like you're paying money for nothing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4