• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Relaxing Anime About Life on the Farm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Tough call between Aria and Natsume's Book of Friends in the poll for me. Natsume only just won me over though. Not surprised Silver Spoon was top, although it's not always relaxing...
TG72

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Aria sets quite a standard for the others to live up to. But I'm glad that someone else remembers Mokke
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Don't think I've ever seen so many of my favorites on a single list before, and I probably never will again.

Aria won my vote on this one, but certainly not without some competition.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what a "healing" anime is, but despite several favorites on the list, Haibane Renmei was the clear choice.
Hi-Chan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
For the poll,I voted for Hidamari Sketch.You can't go wrong voting for the wide face.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Do not forget about Suguru, Natsumi and Komari's older brother.

I was not sure either about what new poll is about, but I voted for Sound of the Sky because that is my favorite anime out of the choices.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What's your favorite "healing" (iyashikei) anime?

So, I'm gonna go out on a limb and ask a question.

How is 'healing' anime any different than Slice of Life anime or anime with Moe elements? Or can a 'healing' anime also have Moe elements and/or a SOL? (For example, Hidamari Sketch or Aria)

Also, I choose Natsume's Book of Friends. I would have gone with Mushi-shi but the latter had far more unsettling moments to be considered a total 'relaxing' anime)
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
For the new poll I went with Kamichu!
K-On! is my favorite show on the list, but I do not think of it as the best "healing" anime.
Aria and Somedays Dreamers are very close choices for second and third place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
If I understand the term, I think Mushi-shi would fit it better than Natsume, but Natsume wins my vote on almost any list it would be on.

Since the 6 on The List were cited as examples of healing anime, it seems odd that they aren't among the poll choices as well.

I don't know if anime movies count, but Only Yesterday is a fine example of a relaxing anime about rural life.

Anyway, for once I correctly guessed the top two titles on The List! Very Happy
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
No Yama no Susume poll option?
absolutezero31

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
As for the list, ever seen an anime called Figure 17? It is a sci-fi show but most of the downtime drama takes place on a dairy farm in Hokkaido. I was mildly surprised it was missed in the list.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
For the new poll I went with Kamichu!.

Even with the battleship Yamamoto episode? There's being proud of a martial heritage but there some things which just remain buried or as I thought while watching the episode, "What the hell is wrong with these people?"

Even Zipang took a measured approach to the subject of WWII and revisiting hysterical nationalism was its plot.

As for myself, I picked Aria as I actually own a copy; K-On! was close but honestly, I think it's a great comedy and not suitable for the whole "soothing" experience unlike Hidemari Sketch which is just kind of there.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Touma wrote:
For the new poll I went with Kamichu!.
Even with the battleship Yamamoto episode?

Yes.
I see no problem with that episode. I consider it to be just as much of a "feel good" story as most of the others.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
absolutezero31 wrote:
As for the list, ever seen an anime called Figure 17? It is a sci-fi show but most of the downtime drama takes place on a dairy farm in Hokkaido.

Ha, I almost mentioned that, but since the List was "relaxing" anime, I decided against. That series is alternately too charmingly cute for words, too heartbreaking for words, or too wtf, sometimes all in one episode. Relaxing it wasn't. Very Happy
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Argh. So many good choices in the poll this week.
I voted for ARIA because at least you can legitimately get that, while some of the other legally available choices don't entirely fit the category, I think.

But then there's Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. The manga never got an English release (I believe someone from one manga company said they'd love to release it, but they'd make a big loss on each volume) and the anime was basically four episodes of OVA which got fansubbed years ago. That said, I did purchase both the OVA Soundtracks (the second by Choro Club who did the music for ARIA) and the three drama CDs which I can only get the gist of by having read (dubiously) the manga.

While I liked it, Mokke is to Natsume's Book of Friends what Natsume's Book of Friends is to Mushishi - in the same general area, but a slightly more juvenile version. That's not a criticism and I love all three series, but it's just how I see them.

Also, Bartender. it's in my top ten list of "Anime for Grown-ups" on account that it's a show about booze.

I've seen almost everything on the list (except Mahoraba). Binbou Shimai Monogatari is sweet although sugar-coats poverty. Binchoutan is surreal and melancholy (Binchoutan, an anthropomorphised charcoal, lives alone in the forest. One day, she's low on rice, so she gets the 'bus' into town and goes to the jobcentre).
Haibane Renmei is sheer genius but I'm not entirely sure it fits the category.

So yeah, I voted for ARIA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3