• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works' 2 1-Hour Specials, Ad Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animeva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
@Kaioshin_Sama, it's okay. You're allowed to not be as enthused about a show as others are. I can assure you, the fans of the original material are most definitely appreciative of all the effort that ufotable is putting into making this show, and its premiere, a special experience. You may not appreciate it, and that's okay. Don't let others' joy get you down! Wink
LuScr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
So is this going to be standalone despite the fact that they're skipping Fate? Is the purpose of the two 1 hour episodes to fill in the people who haven't read the VN or just to be more faithful to the VN?

If they're sticking as close to the VN's prologues as it sounds like, then this iteration of F/SN will probably be the best able to stand on its own of any of them. (To wit: Rin, while knowing enough about magic to fill in viewers on the setting, doesn't know nearly as much about the Holy Grail War as she thinks she does...and Tohsaka Rin's defining character trait is royally screwing up when it matters most. Laughing In the VN, her misadventures were very effective at setting the stage before Shirou took over.)

With UBW in particular, getting the background details down is important--both for Shirou's character and for Archer, who is the most important Servant in this route after Saber. (The UBW movie skimped on both ends, and as a result was a near-incoherent mess.) Two 1-hour eps might be overkill, but that's better than the alternative.
agr964

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:36 am Reply with quote
OK, so Aniplex is advertising and marketing this project to make sure as many people know about it as possible. They spent a lot of money on this project and they want people to spend money to go see it so they can make back their investment as quickly as possible. Advertising is just part of operating a business. Some may think it is overhyped, but so what?

Some people have been waiting for this project for a long time. I went to go see the prologue episode in LA yesterday and I was surprised how true to the Visual Novel it was as I was watching it. It was literally exactly the same, almost every detail. The fighting scenes were top notch, there was great voice acting, and the animation quality was superb.

It finally looks like the COMPLETE Unlimited Blade Works route of Fate/Stay Night is being done well, something this series deserves.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:31 am Reply with quote
agr964 wrote:
I went to go see the prologue episode in LA yesterday and I was surprised how true to the Visual Novel it was as I was watching it. It was literally exactly the same, almost every detail.

So... too slow and infodumpey for a lot of people?
animeva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
agr964 wrote:
I went to go see the prologue episode in LA yesterday and I was surprised how true to the Visual Novel it was as I was watching it. It was literally exactly the same, almost every detail.

If that's what you gathered from what he said. We've all had this argument about infodumps before so I'll not start another one. Fans should be pleased and other people may not like it/be confused. We don't know and we won't know until the TV premiere. There are different people handling different things from before so we'll see how masterfully (or not) they handle it. The Fate/ series is just one of those stories where a lot of info gets delivered in clumps.
agr964

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
agr964 wrote:

I really enjoyed the episode. I can't wait to see the rest of the series, and most fans of Fate/stay night probably will too once it starts. It didn't feel slow or "infodumpey" at all to me. Although this was only the prologue episode, it is hard to say just from that how the remaining episodes will play out.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
agr964 wrote:
jl07045 wrote:
agr964 wrote:

I really enjoyed the episode. I can't wait to see the rest of the series, and most fans of Fate/stay night probably will too once it starts. It didn't feel slow or "infodumpey" at all to me. Although this was only the prologue episode, it is hard to say just from that how the remaining episodes will play out.

I watched episode one in Tokyo, and it was VERY drawn out, though not much info-dump. Just setting up the town. It's mostly focusing on Shiro's everyday life. I feel like they COULD have compressed this into 30 minutes, but then again, the episode was very loyal to the source material. This is the production quality Sailor Moon Crystal (which I do love still, btw) wishes it had.
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:56 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
I watched episode one in Tokyo, and it was VERY drawn out, though not much info-dump. Just setting up the town. It's mostly focusing on Shiro's everyday life. I feel like they COULD have compressed this into 30 minutes, but then again, the episode was very loyal to the source material. This is the production quality Sailor Moon Crystal (which I do love still, btw) wishes it had.

Well, this is what I fear. If being true to the VN also means including all the slice of life that the novel has, it'll be a bigger issue here in a visual medium than in a primarily written one. I love F/SN for how it comes together as a work, but there were definitely times when I didn't enjoy reading through it. Admittedly UBW had the least amount of cooking shenanigans.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
ukiya_seed wrote:
kpk wrote:
So it will be called "Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works" and not just Fate/stay night?

Yes, because the new anime will adapt the Unlimited Blade Works route of the original visual novel. The original Fate/stay night anime loosely adapted the visual novel's Fate route and with elements from UBW and Heavens Feel.

which in a way worked back in 2006 cause it was popular. and it ended via the fate route which was good route.especially if your fans of illyasviel whose fate was different in UBW and heaven's feel. However for FSN fans and type moon fans, their fav route ending is of course the sakura route aka heaven's feel. and the UBW is mainly for fans of archer and rin. personally i prefer the saber route cause it was more suited and parts of that ending might have hinted that this route's ending lead to the sequel for fate hollow ataraxia.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3