• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toonami Discusses Space Dandy's Future, DBZ Kai in November

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
infamoustakai wrote:

Definitely a shame to hear Titan is rerunning. It's a terrible show and I was hoping it was going to leave as soon as possible.

It just makes business sense.

Guile wrote:

As much as people want this to be a success, the fact they are only considering a movie or OVA rather than another series shows how profitable the series was.

Eh, it already got funded more half-hour eps than average, and most anime don't even get considered for OVA or movie continuation. So it's already done enough especially for an original IP.

Saturn wrote:
endallchaos wrote:

Glad to hear that Beware The Batman will no longer be on Toonami. It's a horrible show. I'm also glad to see Hellsing will be playing earlier.

I'd never seen it before last night but I was stunned at how bad the animation was.

Compared on which? There aren't many action 3DCG TV series.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Why is anyone watching toonami? Seriously? Streaming, DVD, BD and fansubs are everywhere. Waiting for your DVR is ridiculous let alone waiting until the actual time.

We have control, the VCR days are over.Shocked

KLK is finished and AOT is unfinished

Comparing them is hilarious. Laughing

Space Dandy is great if left untouched, DBZ Kai is unnecessary overkill. Its a widened cut weaker version. Go ahead and add more water to the orange drink. It's almost running clear.

I watch Toonami also. I DVR all the shows, and watch them when I want. I also have tons of DVD's and BD's of anime to watch.

Everyone has their own way of watching anime and re-watching anime. Enjoy your way, we all will enjoy our ways.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping Gundam would appear on the list. Preferably Wing since (despite what the bitch naysayers argue) it's the most successful (in the west) and some TV exposure could bring in a new crowd.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Why is anyone watching toonami? Seriously? Streaming, DVD, BD and fansubs are everywhere. Waiting for your DVR is ridiculous let alone waiting until the actual time.

We have control, the VCR days are over.Shocked

KLK is finished and AOT is unfinished

Comparing them is hilarious. Laughing

Space Dandy is great if left untouched, DBZ Kai is unnecessary overkill. Its a widened cut weaker version. Go ahead and add more water to the orange drink. It's almost running clear.

Because not everyone wants to watch shows on their computer and some people like to see how a show is before buying it. Waiting for a show to come on each week isn't ridiculous. What are you even talking about lol.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I happen to like Beware the Batman and Sym-Bionic Titan, and in a perfect world, Young Justice would be running on Toomani as well.

Seriously, BTB is a decent show if people could just get past the CGI and their hard-on for BTAS.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Will they be running anything that's actually good?
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
infamoustakai wrote:
Definitely a shame to hear Titan is rerunning. It's a terrible show and I was hoping it was going to leave as soon as possible. We can only pray for things like Kill la Kill or Psycho Pass to get Toonami out of it's current mediocre state.

While you might dislike Attack on Titan plenty did not. Make no mistake, AoT is a HUGE crossover hit in both Japan and in the West. Quite frankly there hasn't been anything like it in a long time and it wouldn't be unfair to compare it to Evangelion terms of how it has crossed across into the general audience in Japan.

So yeah .. if they can show it .. and people want to watch it then they would be silly not it. You can go watch Kaiba instead!

(Please note ... I love Kaiba and own the physical release, but it definitely not a show for the masses)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
endallchaos wrote:
Glad to hear that Beware The Batman will no longer be on Toonami. It's a horrible show. I'm also glad to see Hellsing will be playing earlier.

Can't say I agree with you there at all. I liked it a lot myself and the final episode with the spoiler[heavily implied formation of the Outsiders] was awesome. A shame there won't be anymore episodes as I was really getting into it.

WeirDiE_InC wrote:
I happen to like Beware the Batman and Sym-Bionic Titan, and in a perfect world, Young Justice would be running on Toomani as well.

Seriously, BTB is a decent show if people could just get past the CGI and their hard-on for BTAS.

Same here! It's such a tragedy Young Justice had to get its plug pulled way back when. Apparently, the show was popular among teenage girls instead of the intended teenage boy demographic, so that's why they cancelled it. I'm not quite sure what the reasoning is behind that; is it a bad thing that girls like superhero shows or something?

On the subject of Beware the Batman, you're right about that. The CG's not bad in the least and there were some subtle nods to Batman the Animated Series in quite a few episodes if people bothered to watch and find them.
JLightstar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I think a part of Hellsing edit includes spoiler[The flashback of Alucard as a child in the bedchambers of the Turks ruler.]
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
infamoustakai wrote:

Definitely a shame to hear Titan is rerunning. It's a terrible show and I was hoping it was going to leave as soon as possible.

It just makes business sense.

ScruffyKiwi wrote:
infamoustakai wrote:
Definitely a shame to hear Titan is rerunning. It's a terrible show and I was hoping it was going to leave as soon as possible. We can only pray for things like Kill la Kill or Psycho Pass to get Toonami out of it's current mediocre state.

While you might dislike Attack on Titan plenty did not. Make no mistake, AoT is a HUGE crossover hit in both Japan and in the West. Quite frankly there hasn't been anything like it in a long time and it wouldn't be unfair to compare it to Evangelion terms of how it has crossed across into the general audience in Japan.

So yeah .. if they can show it .. and people want to watch it then they would be silly not it.

Both are very fair points. I just dislike the show and would prefer it not to be on the block.
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
getchman wrote:
makes sense AoT is rerunning. pulls in over a million views every week. be stupid to let that go

Yup, love this show and not surprised at all that it's not going anywhere.

TG72 wrote:
No Bleach re-runs? I was hoping that would be around for at least another couple of years. I'd love if AS got to show Tiger and Bunny or Gargantia but VIZ just isn't too crazy about working with them now.

I expect a few Funimation titles to be announced for January (maybe Psycho Pass).

Yeah, all 3 would be great to see, and I definitely think they should run Psycho-Pass.

I'm really surprised Bleach isn't getting any amount of re-run in the back half of the block.
same and I mixed feelings about since it's been on AS for so long that it will be weird not seeing Bleach on the line up anymore but at the same time I don't want it to become the next InuYasha or Cowboy bebop in terms of constantly rerunning it non stop for years.
sim0n2170

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:42 am Reply with quote
infamoustakai wrote:
For you it maybe, but for the majority it isn't so deal with it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:25 am Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
It's annoying how so many people think just because it was made for a western audience or that it did better financially over here that it bombed in Japan. It sure didn't do as well, but that's what they were expecting anyway, so it's not a surprise. Although, the first and second seasons (or just the first two cours, whatever suits your fancy) were produced at the same time, so its popularity didn't really have anything to do with it. The second season was guaranteed from the get-go.

It did bomb in Japan, numbers put it around the same as Fractale. If it were an inexpensive show like your average harem comedy, that would still be a failure, so when you're talking about this big experiment that pulls in tons of creative talent and definitely has more expenditure on animation, the bombing is only that much more pronounced.
patrick.enfield.9

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:34 am Reply with quote
Why do people want kill la kill. damn I dont see whats the hype train about. I actually like titan more and I dont even like titan that much. I dont even read the manga.

I'd rather have stuff like zatch bell, more space dandy, maybe (If the american audience isnt idiots) JoJo.

Also Bleach airing its final ? Meaning they are on episode 366 ?
Cool I dont watch the dub but it was quite one badass fun ride of an anime. I'd want pierrot to produce more. Especially since everyones abilities are finally being revealed.

And, I surpsisingly enjoy the buu saga in dragonball kai. Its really good and less ridiculous because they dont punch each other for 5 minutes while dramatic music is playing anymore. Instead its 2 minutes now Laughing
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:48 am Reply with quote
There seems to be several generational gaps going on here.

You really wait six days to see partial episodes of 13 diff anime series. Which have all been re-run to death.

How are new fans going to get introduced? What? By waiting every Saturday to get Anime?

Watching Anime behind a computer? They have fought tooth and nail for steaming services that are directly for your TV and Media players are plentiful. Many cheap alternatives I must say. Or, hook your comp to your TV. Why would you ever watch anime on a comp screen.

50 in flat screens are under a grand, there is no excuse to be sitting behind a tiny monitor. I would imagine that anime fans would be much more pro tech is what I'm trying to get across.

Nothing wrong with taking your time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6