• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toonami Discusses Space Dandy's Future, DBZ Kai in November

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:10 am Reply with quote
[quote="Shadowrun20XX"]There seems to be several generational gaps going on here.

You really wait six days to see partial episodes of 13 diff anime series. Which have all been re-run to death.

How are new fans going to get introduced? What? By waiting every Saturday to get Anime?

Watching Anime behind a computer? They have fought tooth and nail for steaming services that are directly for your TV and Media players are plentiful. Many cheap alternatives I must say. Or, hook your comp to your TV. Why would you ever watch anime on a comp screen.

50 in flat screens are under a grand, there is no excuse to be sitting behind a tiny monitor. I would imagine that anime fans would be much more pro tech is what I'm trying to get across.

Nothing wrong with taking your time.[/quote]

Discovery is part of the magic my friend. You don't discover a series using On Demand services as often as you do on TV.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:19 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
It's such a tragedy Young Justice had to get its plug pulled way back when. Apparently, the show was popular among teenage girls instead of the intended teenage boy demographic, so that's why they cancelled it. I'm not quite sure what the reasoning is behind that; is it a bad thing that girls like superhero shows or something?
Of course it's a bad thing - they've got no idea how to market to them and refuse to learn; hell, they went and destroyed a girl's favorite heroine with their New 52.
Quote:
On the subject of Beware the Batman, you're right about that. The CG's not bad in the least and there were some subtle nods to Batman the Animated Series in quite a few episodes if people bothered to watch and find them.
I can't say much about BtB, but it looked ugly as sin just from the stills. I did try out the pilot for the Green Lantern series(mostly because some of the same talent was behind it as was the DCAU) and found it pretty well written, but apparently that was kneecapped by the movie(I remember seeing the trailer - after being confused by the white guy, I couldn't fathom how it could possibly end well).
kanechin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Why is anyone watching toonami? Seriously? Streaming, DVD, BD and fansubs are everywhere. Waiting for your DVR is ridiculous let alone waiting until the actual time.

I think I've seen a similar comment about the death of saturday morning cartoons on basic television. Depressing.

Because I like toonami and some shows suck so much that they're not worth pirating (a jab at blue exorcist, not AoT or Beware).
Wasn't expecting AoT to get a re-run, assumed they would want people to buy the dvds.

I like Beware, I hate how it ended since it makes you think there will be more but nope. Would like to see The Batman or Brave and the Bold on tonami.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote
kanechin wrote:
Wasn't expecting AoT to get a re-run, assumed they would want people to buy the dvds.
You generally don't buy broadcast rights for such a short period unless it's a movie.
FMABleach

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:21 am Reply with quote
I keep hoping that they will air InuYasha: The Final Act already, but it doesn't look like they will be doing that anytime soon. :/

I hope they will consider bringing back Yu Yu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin someday. Maybe air these two in the same hour back to back for a nostalgic feel? Smile

And since VIZ is redubbing the old Sailor Moon, maybe that should make an appearance on Toonami? Smile

I also hope that some of the anime that have been on nothing but reruns forever will finally take a long break and make room for newer shows. There's only so much room for these shows. By rerunning older ones all the time, you're decreasing the chance of a new show of being able to air on Toonami. :/

I hope that they will also do the Month of Miyazaki thing sometime. Even if it means taking up the whole block with at least 2 movies per week, still, I think it would be worth it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I liked Beware the Bat also. Wonder what happened, that they had to condense the series so much.

Maybe SymBiotic Titan will get new life, I know its fans are still active.

Watching anime on cable TV, is just another valid way of watching anime, as watching via streaming, watching On Demand, watching on Netflix or Crackle, or buying the DVD/BD. Not too mention, that people watch fansubs also.

I watch the Toonami block, in fact I DVR most of the shows, even ones I have seen already and I do watch them. I have plenty of DVD's and BD's that I do use. And since streaming sucks for me, yes I do watch fansubs also, especially the new stuff in Japan, and the old stuff, like Gosick. It is a shame that Gosick still hasn't made it over here yet.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Jayhosh wrote:
It's annoying how so many people think just because it was made for a western audience or that it did better financially over here that it bombed in Japan. It sure didn't do as well, but that's what they were expecting anyway, so it's not a surprise. Although, the first and second seasons (or just the first two cours, whatever suits your fancy) were produced at the same time, so its popularity didn't really have anything to do with it. The second season was guaranteed from the get-go.

It did bomb in Japan, numbers put it around the same as Fractale. If it were an inexpensive show like your average harem comedy, that would still be a failure, so when you're talking about this big experiment that pulls in tons of creative talent and definitely has more expenditure on animation, the bombing is only that much more pronounced.

You always mention Fractale.

I'd happily purchase the Blu-rays and merchandise if they'd release any, anything to help the show out.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:

I'd happily purchase the Blu-rays and merchandise if they'd release any, anything to help the show out.

No matter what he mentions it's true that Space Dandy has bombed hard. If i'm not mistaken the sales average is currently sitting at 885 copies.

But since you're eager to help the show the BDs are already released in Japan, and they come with both subs and dub. Buying those is the single best way to support the show so there you go Very Happy.
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
As for my opinion, I would have much rather had Bleach reruns than have the lackluster dub quality of DBZ Kai being aired as something new in its place. Maybe a whole hour of One Piece with Naruto Shippuden being pushed up? Catch-up isn't ever a bad thing.

Lackluster dub? DBZ Kai's improved dubbing is the main selling point for the show in the West
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:

I always mention Fractale because that's the show Yamakan was staking his career and supposedly the future of anime on, so its failure was a point of instant hilarity and shame. Thankfully no one's said anything so foolish about Dandy except for a bunch of morons at Kotaku who thought it was going to be the second coming of Cowboy Bebop, but it did sell pretty close to the same magical number of 883 which itself has even become a measurement of success: 883 = 1frt. It's a good comparison in my view. You'll also see me compare Zankyou no Terror's sales to Aku no Hana's, which did something like 408. They're all these "risky" shows that didn't reap the rewards and show why anime producers are more likely to churn out something safe, the perfect counterargument to the tired "why doesn't the anime industry take risks" line.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Same here! It's such a tragedy Young Justice had to get its plug pulled way back when. Apparently, the show was popular among teenage girls instead of the intended teenage boy demographic, so that's why they cancelled it. I'm not quite sure what the reasoning is behind that; is it a bad thing that girls like superhero shows or something?

Because they weren't buying the toys. The toys for the series bombed so the show went under since it was a toy commercial. The show was aimed at boys 8-12, but they would rather watch Adventure Time.

Polycell wrote:
Of course it's a bad thing - they've got no idea how to market to them and refuse to learn; hell, they went and destroyed a girl's favorite heroine with their New 52.

I hate how people always seem to use the kiddy cartoon version of her as their justification, unaware that the character has existed for decades before it. If people think the comics ruined their childhood heroine, then they at least understand how comic fans felt when Toddler Titans first aired and saw their own childhood heroes ruined in that way. That's why the Shortpacked comic is so flawed. I see them complain about Teen Titans Go too, which is just more just desserts and they get to see how an adaption ruins characters they like.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
kanechin wrote:
I think I've seen a similar comment about the death of saturday morning cartoons on basic television.

Vortexx's block ended on the 27th, so the era of Saturday morning cartoons has been officially extinct since then. An era ended, but not forgotten.

Lavnovice9 wrote:
The show was aimed at boys 8-12, but they would rather watch Adventure Time.

What people see in that damn garbage show I'll never know or understand.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I really don't understand all this hate towards DBZ Kai. For YEARS fans have bitched and moaned over the amount of filler and the slow-paced nature of the series.

They finally get a recut but they still cry like the little bitches they are. Sure a whole new anime would have been better but this is still an improvement nonetheless.

My only complaint is the lack of Bruce Faulconer's music, but other than that, it's better acted and the pacing is better.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:04 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
Jayhosh wrote:

No matter what he mentions it's true that Space Dandy has bombed hard. If i'm not mistaken the sales average is currently sitting at 885 copies.

But since you're eager to help the show the BDs are already released in Japan, and they come with both subs and dub. Buying those is the single best way to support the show so there you go Very Happy.

Another way is just to have watched it on Cartoon Network since they also paid for it. Via Adult Swim, Space Dandy indirectly got its funds thru TV ad sales, akin to those NHK shows that don't depend as much on disc sales. Furthermore, the way it happened with 26 eps right from the get-go is preferable than the usual M.O. 13 initial eps, wait to see the disc sales, then maybe another 13 eps a year or more later.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:

They're all these "risky" shows that didn't reap the rewards and show why anime producers are more likely to churn out something safe, the perfect counterargument to the tired "why doesn't the anime industry take risks" line.

They're becoming more the risk-averse North America industry.

Just-another-face wrote:

What people see in that damn garbage show I'll never know or understand.

Many people don't see what we see in anime, so........... eh.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
I hate how people always seem to use the kiddy cartoon version of her as their justification, unaware that the character has existed for decades before it. If people think the comics ruined their childhood heroine, then they at least understand how comic fans felt when Toddler Titans first aired and saw their own childhood heroes ruined in that way.
Except that article doesn't compare her to the show's Starfire; it compares post- and pre-reboot Starfire. With DC behaving like that, it's little wonder they don't want a female audience for their cartoons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6