• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gacha Gacha GN 4-5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:51 am Reply with quote
I think I liked this book a little bit more than Carl did, although Vol. 5 was the only volume I read of the series, so it's quite possible that the fan service hadn't worn me down yet.

My main complaint regarding the book was that too much time was spent with other personalities that had no real character development. When the book concentrated on the Kiriko-vs.-Kurara (Clara?) conflict, I found it interesting, but then you'd switch to another personality and it'd completely suck you out of the story. Also, I hated the tacked-on sequel bait a bit more. I'd say a solid C instead of C- on the story, but that difference is pretty minimal.

I will say I *love* the art on this book, but I'm a fan of "Boys Be..." so I'll admit some bias.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JackBassV

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Have to agree with you on the main Kurika/Kurara story being (more) interesting than some of the sub-plots.

Still, it's better than the sequel, Volumes 6 - 12. This is about a high school boy who changes into a middle school girl when he sneezes.

For some reason, i found this story arc to be really irritating. You know the story: Boy likes girl, but cannot talk to her. He changes into a young girl and becomes her friend. Lots of fan service and hilarity follow. I wish...

The only reason I've read so much, is I believed it would get better.. It did, but not by much.

The first arc had some funny moments. If you want to try the second arc, that's up to you. Don't say I didn't warn you.

JBV^_^
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:33 pm Reply with quote
THAT'S the plot starting with the next volume? I figured it would follow along with the whole spoiler[Kouhei being turned into a half-man/half-dog] thing from the last pages of Vol. 5. I did know that the fan service was supposed to be kicked up several notches, hence Del Rey restarting it as "Gacha Gacha: The Next Revolution Vol. 1" with the next volume and upping the age restriction to 17+. But man....that premise just sounds....bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1