• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2014 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Mushishi has won both the Kodansha Manga Award and the Tokyo Anime Award while having an 8.8 here. Peope arguing against it are cray cray. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Mushishi has won both the Kodansha Manga Award and the Tokyo Anime Award while having an 8.8 here. Peope arguing against it are cray cray. Rolling Eyes

It isn't crazy to say that one personally finds Mushi-Shi boring. There are people who like their entertainment to be high octane and just don't have much interest in slower paced material, and that's okay.

Making absolute statements, whether it be that people who don't like Mushi-Shi have bad taste or that Mushi-Shi is just boring in general, that's a problem.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh come on i wasn´t pointing fingers and sometime we should just accept that some media deserves to be put on a pedestal and shine a beacon for the industry. If not then rating and awards are pointless. Mushishi is the Citizen Kain of slice of life anime. I would only have prefered some form of a short epilogue for the manga like in Death Note.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Mushisi is actually very good to binge watch/read and a good example of anime as art.
Let´s be honest none animated that because they though it would make them rich.
Good souces told me that GUNDAM BUILD FIGHTERS is good television. Is that true and is this a case where it takes a while to get going ?

Its the opposite, shows like Mushishi aren't ment to be binge-watched.

But they definitely animated S1 for the money, its still among the top disc sellers in tv anime, after all.

residentgrigo wrote:
Oh come on i wasn´t pointing fingers and sometime we should just accept that some media deserves to be put on a pedestal and shine a beacon for the industry. If not then rating and awards are pointless. Mushishi is the Citizen Kain of slice of life anime. I would only have prefered some form of a short epilogue for the manga like in Death Note.

Ratings are indeed pointless. Putting it on a pedestal is fine, but people can also disagree with that.
Raneth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
While it has its share of crap, there are way too many damn shows this season I want to watch. Rage of Genesis, Garo, Mushishi, the new Chaika, TerraFormars, Parasyte, Fate: Unlimited Blade Works, the new cute boys with cake show no one's mentioned yet, When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace, and Gugure.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely love Mushishi and can't wait for the next 1/2 of the 2nd series but I don't know if it is just me but I felt the 2nd series wasn't quite as strong as the first.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:50 am Reply with quote
Cross Ange Ep 2
spoiler[Well, I guess Cross Ange heard all that misplaced rape talk and decided to give what those people were talking about in episode 2. If it is going to get complained about anyway, they might as well actually do it? And I have to say are you freaking kidding me... after perfectly obscured shower/changing scenes (this part isn't a complaint, idc) the time they pick to show actual nudity was during the rape scene... its like they're intentionally trying to do it in the way that will offend the most people.

Seriously though, why does a show that pretty much avoids actually showing any waste so much time with fan service. I mean I guess they showed something while the captain was raping her because I saw a black bar, but its like they can't decide if they want to go full on boob show or something. They should just ditch that and focus on the gundams vs dragons with whatever small side of plot they're going to throw in.]
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Mushishi 1 sold 9,366 copies per Volume in 2006 and the recent special sold 4- to 5000. Not a flop buy you can´t substation a studio with such numbers. I just watched Bahamut 02 and hooy boy is the show on my radar now. Is basically an 80s show with ova quality animation and I laugh. So card adaptations can be good. Who knew.
I actually a fan of user scores with big numbers and communities behind them. Imd top 300 or shows here or there with 7,5+ tend to be of some quality. 6,5 and under are no bueno most times. I looked at the score of Brain Powered before watching and said this can´t be right, then wached it and said why so high ? But then again the Akira film has a 7.8 here and Big Bang Theory has a 8,6 imdb. So shut the sites down i guess. Laughing Rotten Tomatoes for life. No self thinking form me required. Wink
Rederoin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Mushishi 1 sold 9,366 copies per Volume in 2006

1,050 copies acteally. Which is rather high(roughly in the top 10% as far as disc sales go), not to mention it was not the only source of income, since it also doubled as an advertisement for the magazine and the manga itself.

So what exactly is your point? Because its naive to think they would have animated it out of the good of their hearts.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, I admit that Mushi-shi has artistic value in it, this is why I have tried to watch it and still hope to force myself to watch it. The complain is I would much prefer a coherent story, not "monster of the week" vehicle. It makes night and day difference to me.

There is another show of the same kind: it is called Tale of Melodies (and the sequels). It is also extremely highly rated, but, as far as I understand, it is episodic -- hence I am dreading to watch it, though I know that separate episodes could be really good (like in Kino's Journey, for example).

Is there real difference (besides the obvious with the setting) between Mushi-shi and Tale of Melodies?

Did anyone watch both of those shows?
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Never said it was bad. Mushishi is excellent, just boring as shit.

residentgrigo wrote:
Mushishi is the Citizen Kain of slice of life anime.
O_o

jymmy wrote:
The only thing more intellectually and viscerally satisfying than an elegant argument is a rebut so witty and exact that it reduces it to rubble.

Me lose brain Frieza Pico?

danilo07 wrote:
You have to watch more Yugioh to keep you awake, right?
All day son but Duel monsters was a snooze fest. You ever seen YuGiOh before it was a card game? The shadow game has nothing to do with cards. Keeps me up before mushishi brings me down.

Cross Ange Ep2 Holy shit those dragons aren't playing. Gore and humiliation? Its like I'm watching American TV. Wow.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
"Never said it was bad. Mushishi is excellent, just boring as shit."
This is all i wanted to hear. Yugioh abridged is the best. The Citizen Kane of redubbing.
The cardgame itselft used to be good before the cardnumbers exploded.
I have a very hard time beleaving that Hiroshi Nagahama or Urashibara Yuki would do anyting out of financial gain alone. None got rich on Noitamina. I don´t even understand how half of the things on that block get funded in the first place. E.g Ping Pong. Or magazines like Fellows or Ikki to broad the topic. Or being a mangaka or even an artist in general. The highs are high but most are slaves to the system. Not a profession for me.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Nagahama, Hiroshi did neither fund or write Mushishi(the credit goes to the author of the manga), so i'm not sure why you're bringing him. All he did was direct the first season. Mushishi also never aired on the Noitamina block.

Why are brining up stuff that has nothing to do with the reason Mushishi got funded?
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
"Never said it was bad. Mushishi is excellent, just boring as shit."
This is all i wanted to hear. Yugioh abridged is the best. The Citizen Kane of redubbing.
The cardgame itselft used to be good before the cardnumbers exploded.
I have a very hard time beleaving that Hiroshi Nagahama or Urashibara Yuki would do anyting out of financial gain alone. None got rich on Noitamina. I don´t even understand how half of the things on that block get funded in the first place. E.g Ping Pong. Or magazines like Fellows or Ikki to broad the topic. Or being a mangaka or even an artist in general. The highs are high but most are slaves to the system. Not a profession for me.
Truer words have never been spoken.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Why has it taken so long for more mushishi? Time release?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 33