Forum - View topic
NEWS: Utawarerumono to Keep Name


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Richard J.



Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 3367
Location: Sic Semper Tyrannis.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:25 pm Reply with quote
If only fan reaction could get ADV to finish releasing the Gunslinger Girl manga. Crying or Very sad

This does seem to be a good sign though. As fans, we need to keep the companies on their toes. Otherwise, they will do things which are not very well thought out.

Chris Oar of ADV wrote:
"Originally we wanted to make it as accessible to as many people as possible.

See, that's the kind of thinking that will lead to bankruptcy. To an anime fan, even many casual ones, the original name is perfectly accessible. (Heck, some fans are more likely to buy if it's still got it's Japanese name. It makes the series more trendy and cool. Wink ) To someone who doesn't watch anime at all, they wouldn't buy it no matter what you named it.

4kids makes their anime acquisitions "accessible" too but at the expense of what actual anime fans will buy. The only reason they can make money off of them is because their target audience is a bunch of kids who call the TV "mommy."

I don't think ADV is selling a lot of kids shows.

Remember ADV, we mature fans aren't threatened by foreign names or letters! We like our anime uncut and properly translated thank you very much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
redcomet15



Joined: 14 Sep 2005
Posts: 42
Location: I just don't know anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha, oh wow. To think that the reaction of anime fans would be able to sway a big company like ADV from making a disastrous name change. Well, kudos to ADV for listening to the fans and sticking to the original title of Utawarerumono instead of using the ghastly "Shadow Warrior Chronicles". Still, I wouldn't be surprised if this was all some big stunt on ADV's part to garner attention for their latest acquisition and they never had any serious intention to rename the Utawarerumono anime.
Regardless, I'm looking forward to being able to walk into my nearby video store and see Utawarerumono sitting on a shelf. The only downside to all of this is that the wonderful memes 4chan devised will now be going to waste...

Shadow Warrior Chronicles, anyone?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Son Biggie



Joined: 21 Oct 2006
Posts: 59

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
If only fan reaction could get ADV to finish releasing the Gunslinger Girl manga. Crying or Very sad

This does seem to be a good sign though. As fans, we need to keep the companies on their toes. Otherwise, they will do things which are not very well thought out.

Chris Oar of ADV wrote:
"Originally we wanted to make it as accessible to as many people as possible.

See, that's the kind of thinking that will lead to bankruptcy. To an anime fan, even many casual ones, the original name is perfectly accessible. (Heck, some fans are more likely to buy if it's still got it's Japanese name. It makes the series more trendy and cool. Wink ) To someone who doesn't watch anime at all, they wouldn't buy it no matter what you named it.

4kids makes their anime acquisitions "accessible" too but at the expense of what actual anime fans will buy. The only reason they can make money off of them is because their target audience is a bunch of kids who call the TV "mommy."

I don't think ADV is selling a lot of kids shows.

Remember ADV, we mature fans aren't threatened by foreign names or letters! We like our anime uncut and properly translated thank you very much.


I don't think we have to worry since ADV isn't known for saling kids shows now if only 4kids would listen to there fans then they would live up to that old slogn of thairs "we know what kids want."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fronzel



Joined: 11 Sep 2003
Posts: 1191

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Underwater Ray Romano?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Korb



Joined: 08 Apr 2003
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Thank god. I remember when that stupid name was announced I went to see reaction on the AnimeOnDVD boards. The people there actually liked it, because "Utawarerumono is too hard to say." So much for my belief that anime fans at least try to learn some Japanese to enrich their understanding of the art. I'm not saying they should strive to become fluent, but should at least make some attempt to be able to pronounce things correctly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ragebot



Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 40
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Can't we just have a direct translation of the Japanese name? Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
shadow_Hiei



Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Posts: 68

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't Utawarerumono translate into something like "The One Being Sung"? Yeah, that would probably sell worse than Shadow Warrior Chronicles.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Dachande



Joined: 21 Nov 2003
Posts: 89
Location: Savannah, Ga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Question was asked at the ADV panel at AWA and they said that Shadow Warrior Chronicles wasn't gonna stay and that the name was gonna be changed. In other words, old news.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hikaru004



Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Posts: 2302

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:53 pm Reply with quote
But we still have one badly named title to go. Shin Angyo Onshi was named Blade of the Phantom Mask. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nagisa
Moderator


Joined: 19 Aug 2003
Posts: 6128
Location: Atlanta-ish, Jawjuh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Dachande wrote:
Question was asked at the ADV panel at AWA and they said that Shadow Warrior Chronicles wasn't gonna stay and that the name was gonna be changed. In other words, old news.


I was the one who asked. Cool I actually also recommended reversible covers, with their English title on the outside cover, and the Japanese title on the inside.

Anyway, ADV has my respect for this in a big way. It's always nice to actually see a company listening to its consumers and working to make them happy, and this move alone might re-persuade me to buy the series when it comes out just to support that action (despite being rather disappointed with its second half).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dachande



Joined: 21 Nov 2003
Posts: 89
Location: Savannah, Ga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Dachande wrote:
Question was asked at the ADV panel at AWA and they said that Shadow Warrior Chronicles wasn't gonna stay and that the name was gonna be changed. In other words, old news.


I was the one who asked. Cool


I was the one that asked if Battle Angel was gonna get a re-release when/if the live-action movie comes out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Malintex Terek
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:16 pm Reply with quote
ADV earned some plus points from me due to this move; while I still am harshly critical of their dubbing, the company still respects its fanbase enough to listen to feedback, which is admirable since it was almost overwhelmingly from the internet. Here's hoping Utawarerumono turns out to be a hot title.

Cheers.

...

At the same time, however, I cannot help but suspect redcomet15's theory to be very plausible, but somehow I doubt such is the case in this instance since Shin Angyo Onshi still retains its deceptive moniker.


Last edited by Malintex Terek on Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
HitokiriShadow



Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 6103

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
If only fan reaction could get ADV to finish releasing the Gunslinger Girl manga. Crying or Very sad


The rep at Onicon said they intend to finish it.... someday. They plan to finish it but it is not currently on the schedule. Maybe they are waiting for it to end in Japan. I think it comes out pretty slowly in Japan.

Korb wrote:
Thank god. I remember when that stupid name was announced I went to see reaction on the AnimeOnDVD boards. The people there actually liked it, because "Utawarerumono is too hard to say." So much for my belief that anime fans at least try to learn some Japanese to enrich their understanding of the art. I'm not saying they should strive to become fluent, but should at least make some attempt to be able to pronounce things correctly.


You should work on your reading comprehension skills. It wasn't a matter of anime fans not even trying to pronounce it. The issue was that the average fan (i.e. the guys that don't watch a bunch of fansubs and regularly post on forums) would look at it and say "Utawhatsit?". Even then, its not that they wouldn't try, but that its a long word that means nothing if you aren't fluent in Japanese.

It may be easy for you to rememember and pronounce after seeing it once or twice, but you are in the minority. I have difficulty with it and I have no problems remembering something like Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (though it took me a little while to get it down).

Simply put, "Utawarerumono" is a difficult word (whether you like it or not) and its not good marketing to name your product something that customers can't pronounce or remember fairly easily.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Richard J.



Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 3367
Location: Sic Semper Tyrannis.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:30 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
If only fan reaction could get ADV to finish releasing the Gunslinger Girl manga. Crying or Very sad


The rep at Onicon said they intend to finish it.... someday. They plan to finish it but it is not currently on the schedule. Maybe they are waiting for it to end in Japan. I think it comes out pretty slowly in Japan.
Although that indefinate "someday" seems almost ominous, I am suddenly filled with hope. Very Happy

There seems to be a six or so month lag between new volumes being released in Japan. Maybe ADV really is just waiting for it to get a few more out before they release more.

Maybe the IFC airing of the Gunslinger Girl anime will renew interest in the manga and spur ADV forward.

Again, thank you for the news that at least they remember that they have the license. I was seriously beginning to doubt that they even knew they had it anymore.

I hate never having enough money to go to a convention! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
zalas



Joined: 26 Jul 2006
Posts: 99

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:38 am Reply with quote
shadow_Hiei wrote:
Doesn't Utawarerumono translate into something like "The One Being Sung"? Yeah, that would probably sell worse than Shadow Warrior Chronicles.

That would probably be because it's an inaccurate translation and doesn't carry enough of the nuance. The title is said only once in the show, and it should be obvious what it means literally in the context of the show when that line appears. The title and the original game itself also had allusions to song and the Ainu, but "The One Being Sung" is a half-baked translation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group