• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Utawarerumono to Keep Name

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:33 am Reply with quote
You know, I don't know how I feel about this one. I'm generally against "localization" in all its forms, but Utawariutoenmgengn is a hell of a mouthfull, and I kinda doubt that it's a sound marketing descision. In this case I don't see why people would have too much of an objection to it, so long as the interior contents were left unmolested, and the word "Utawaramomo" was at least somewhere visible on the cover.
Webki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:56 am Reply with quote
Now if they put out the box for the series with the hiragana for Utawarerumono on it, I will die a happy man.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
I'm calling this series "Underwater Ray Romano" from now on. Very Happy

It should also be noted that Pioneer's original VHS dub release of "Fushigi Yuugi" was under the translated title "The Mysterious Play" (while the sub was sold under the Japanese title).
Every time someone calls this series "Underwater Ray Romano" I just can't help but crack up! Laughing

Having gotten into anime after the sub vs. dub tape deal, it's interesting to think about how things once were. I haven't seen it, but given the description of Fushigi Yuugi, calling it The Mysterious Play for the English dub release isn't that bad a title. (My Japanese is limited to few words, is this an accurate translation?)

Personally, what I really wish the companies would do, is have both the original Japanese title and an accurate translation on the packaging. They can choose which one they prefer to market it under and make that title larger and the other a bit smaller. (Or do what Geneon has done with Shagukan no Shana, take the part of the title that English speakers will easily recognize "Shana" and market it as that while keeping the rest of the tile there but in smaller script.)
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:18 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Individually, yes, they are easy syllables. But put it together into one meaningless word, and its not so simple. In the case of Underwater Ray Romano, you have words that mean something making it easy to remember.

Perhaps splitting it up into 'Utawareru Mono' would make it easier to pronounce?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
jgreen wrote:
I'm calling this series "Underwater Ray Romano" from now on. Very Happy

It should also be noted that Pioneer's original VHS dub release of "Fushigi Yuugi" was under the translated title "The Mysterious Play" (while the sub was sold under the Japanese title).
Every time someone calls this series "Underwater Ray Romano" I just can't help but crack up! Laughing

Having gotten into anime after the sub vs. dub tape deal, it's interesting to think about how things once were. I haven't seen it, but given the description of Fushigi Yuugi, calling it The Mysterious Play for the English dub release isn't that bad a title. (My Japanese is limited to few words, is this an accurate translation?)

"Yuugi" is most often rendered as "game," but I've seen "play" as a valid meaning. Considering the melodramatic nature of the series, I'd let it slide if it was a little artistic license. (Edit: Forgot to mention -- the tapes actually featured both titles, but one was a much smaller subtitle. I.e., the dub had "Mysterious Play" as the dominant title, with "Fushigi Yuugi" in much smaller print, and the sub had that reversed.)

If there's been enough of an outcry against the title change for ADV to stick with Utawarerumono, hopefully the fans will put their money where their mouths are and purchase the series. (My guess is that if ADV feels comfortable with reverting to the original name, they must feel comfortable with expected sales from the die-hards. That or they're mortified at the thought of convention-goers snickering and muttering "Underwater Ray Romano" in passing...wait, that didn't come out right. Well, it'll probably happen anyway, though I think to a lesser degree than if the name had stayed "Shadow Warrior Chronicles.")

Otherwise, next time a similarly strange title change comes up...why listen to fan protest when the numbers don't bear them out?

(I've seen about 1 1/2 episodes, and while I'm not sure I'd buy the series, it does have a certain charm. It might end up on our purchase queue somewhere, but nowhere immediate.)

And whatever happened to the speculation that Shin Angyo Onshi and Utawarerumono had their 'adapted' titles switched, given that each title made more sense if they were exchanged?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Calli wrote:
"Yuugi" is most often rendered as "game," but I've seen "play" as a valid meaning. Considering the melodramatic nature of the series, I'd let it slide if it was a little artistic license. (Edit: Forgot to mention -- the tapes actually featured both titles, but one was a much smaller subtitle. I.e., the dub had "Mysterious Play" as the dominant title, with "Fushigi Yuugi" in much smaller print, and the sub had that reversed.)

If there's been enough of an outcry against the title change for ADV to stick with Utawarerumono, hopefully the fans will put their money where their mouths are and purchase the series. (My guess is that if ADV feels comfortable with reverting to the original name, they must feel comfortable with expected sales from the die-hards. That or they're mortified at the thought of convention-goers snickering and muttering "Underwater Ray Romano" in passing...wait, that didn't come out right. Well, it'll probably happen anyway, though I think to a lesser degree than if the name had stayed "Shadow Warrior Chronicles.")

Otherwise, next time a similarly strange title change comes up...why listen to fan protest when the numbers don't bear them out?

(I've seen about 1 1/2 episodes, and while I'm not sure I'd buy the series, it does have a certain charm. It might end up on our purchase queue somewhere, but nowhere immediate.)

And whatever happened to the speculation that Shin Angyo Onshi and Utawarerumono had their 'adapted' titles switched, given that each title made more sense if they were exchanged?
I think the bulk of fans were so enraged by what they saw as terrible and generic titles that they never got past them to consider that they might have been reversed.

"Yuugi" is most often treated as "game." This finally explains to me part of the meaning of the title Yu-Gi-Oh! Wink

Although I haven't actually seen any episodes of Utawarerumono, the encyclopedia entry sounds interesting and all the controversy with the title is making me want to buy it just so I can say I own Underwater Ray Romano Laughing

Most of what I've heard from people about this one make me think I'll like it. At the very least, I'll probably get the first volume (unless Newtype has episode 1 on it's preview DVD. Love those preview DVDs!)
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Animerica was translating the title as "The Mysterious Play" for years before the title was even brought to America, so it was actually fairly well known back then as "Fushigi Yugi (The Mysterious Play)" with a little ^ over the u in "Yugi", as Animerica did so often in those days.

Just because I love you people, here's a scan of the cover to the VHS dub of the first tape:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/jagreen79/fy2.jpg

....and a close-up of the title:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/jagreen79/fy1.jpg

It's interesting to note that the trading cards that came with the tape (which I didn't even REMEMBER until I just pulled the tape out of Ye Olde Closete) have the sub logo on the front and the dub logo on the back. *rubs chin thoughtfully*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rurouni_Kaoru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm happy with the decision. Anime hyper I was totally weirded-out when they came up with "Shadow Warrior Chronicles". Still, when talking about the series with friends, I call it "Utaware", as it rolls off the tongue a bit faster than "Utawarerumono" (though I am able to say both). Very Happy
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3