• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Strike Up The Dandy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liebheart

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I loved Sometimes You Can't Live with Dying and A World with No Sadness.

Two of the most memorable experiences I've had watching anime.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Remember when ADV (and others) would help fund series (albeit those ventures met with varying success)? If Space Dandy does well enough stateside, I think it'd be worth looking into to try and co-fund movies/long-OVAs for it (That'd probably be on FUNimation's side, since I don't think the William-Street boys have the funding yet/anymore to try and finance a project like that). There's obviously no need to worry about continuity, and as long as Watanabe's at the helm with a crew he's picked, it's almost guaranteed to be dandy. spoiler[We can finally get that Steve Blum cameo, too.]

What's the worst that can happen? A handful of small theaters get sold out for a night (or two) every couple of years if a new one gets made and Toonami gets something to show when movie-nights roll around?

EDIT: Assuming it does well enough sales-wise to warrant such a venture, that is.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
Remember when ADV (and others) would help fund series (albeit those ventures met with varying success)? If Space Dandy does well enough stateside, I think it'd be worth looking into to try and co-fund movies/long-OVAs for it (That'd probably be on FUNimation's side, since I don't think the William-Street boys have the funding yet/anymore to try and finance a project like that). There's obviously no need to worry about continuity, and as long as Watanabe's at the helm with a crew he's picked, it's almost guaranteed to be dandy. spoiler[We can finally get that Steve Blum cameo, too.]

What's the worst that can happen? A handful of small theaters get sold out for a night (or two) every couple of years if a new one gets made and Toonami gets something to show when movie-nights roll around?

EDIT: Assuming it does well enough sales-wise to warrant such a venture, that is.

I think we'd have to ask them how much of a success the show was on their end before we can think about them being involved for more. Season 1 did pretty good at an 11:30 timeslot, but Season 2, after being moved for Attack on Titan, didn't do so hot.

Last edited by Blatch on Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Space Dandy isn't a late-night show, but there's where it was anyway, a victim of circumstance.

gravediggernalk wrote:

Remember when ADV (and others) would help fund series (albeit those ventures met with varying success)?

That's during the boom (can't believe that's a decade ago already). There's not as much money nowadays.

gravediggernalk wrote:

(That'd probably be on FUNimation's side, since I don't think the William-Street boys have the funding yet/anymore to try and finance a project like that).

Williams Street rarely funds more than 26 half-hour worth of episodes.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Another episode I really loved was "Lovers are Dandy, Baby" because it thematically reminded me very much of one of my favourite Patlabor episodes, "Our Karuizawa" (the one where section chiefs Gotoh and Nagumo were stuck together in a love hotel during a storm).

Narratively, the episodes weren't that similar, since Dandy and Scarlet went to all sorts of different places, but the discomfort and tension between a man and a woman who know each other very well professionally but not really all that much socially forced to be intimate (in the literal, not-an-euphenism-for-sex sense) with one another because of circumstances was palpable in a very similar way.

My chief reaction to this episode was "Oh no, series, why are you doing this to me? I don't want to ship them!!" Laughing

I loved most of the episodes this season, a good solid chunk of the ones in the first, and if this season turns out to be a dud (I'm holding out for at least a few good ones) I'm definitely rewatching it with a closer eye for who's working behind the camera (as it were).
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:10 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
That's during the boom (can't believe that's a decade ago already). There's not as much money nowadays.

There might be if more studios were willing to turn to crowdfunding sites like Kickstarter.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:16 am Reply with quote
Favorite episode huh? That's a tough one. I probably laughed the most at "There's Always Tomorrow, Baby" and "Sometimes You Can't Live with Dying, Baby." But the final episode was just plain spectacular!
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:41 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Space Dandy isn't a late-night show, but there's where it was anyway, a victim of circumstance.

With the titty monster, which was censored in the US only, and the whole Boobies thing, I'm sure parents would complain if it were on any earlier.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:53 am Reply with quote
Great article. I've been trying to keep track of who's who as I've watched Space Dandy and it's neat to see another perspective on who's who and their output. No love for Michio Mihara though? The guy has a hell of a resume and basically did a whole episode himself (Okay, Dia Sato did the actual screenplay). It was a pretty good one too, if not overall just for that great surfing sequence at the end.

danilo07 wrote:
Good article, but you are giving way too much credit to episode directors and you seem to ignore the fellows who did the storyboarding.

That's probably because most of the episode directors did the storyboarding too. Not Mukai admittedly, but Saya Yamamoto, Takaaki Wada, Hiroshi Shimizu, Yasuhiro Nakura, Shingo Natsume, Eunyoung Choi, Kiyotaka Oshiyama and several others Mike didn't mention all did. Many of them served as the animation supervisors as well. I more or less agree with you in principle. I'm not even exactly sure what the episode director does creatively if they aren't storyboarding. But this show is obviously the exception. Episode directors mostly did the storyboard themselves and had a lot of creative control over their given episodes.
Angel Dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
It's really hard to pick favorite episodes but I'm kind of partial to World Without Sadness, Sometimes you can't live with dying, Rock 'n' Roll Dandy, and I Can't Be the Only One.

As far as the success rate goes...Didn't the original source about there being a possible movie have the exact words of "international Success"? If it did, it kind of makes it sound like they are banking on there being better sales else where. It also explains the "Hmmm..." since it's not out on DVD/BD everywhere yet and they might end up counting the combined sales.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:34 am Reply with quote
A lot of the best Dandy directors have been mentioned here, but man, Masahiro Mukai's episode cracked me up. Depressed Dandy was the best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
From the first season, I definitely liked "The Search for the Phantom Space Ramen, Baby" as there was a bit of melancholy toward the finale that got me. I also liked "Even Vacuum Cleaners Fall in Love, Baby" for its interesting message of spoiler["Are machines people because they feel or do they feel because they're people?"] The short bit with the spoiler[crying microwave] made me feel sorry for it in an awww kind of way.

The second season had quite a few winners, but I have to definitely go with "Lovers Are Trendy, Baby" because it's just that good. spoiler[I knew it was destined to end in failure, especially with the moment they just missed each other, but couldn't they have at least watched the video together as mutual friends?] I also have to give points to "A World with No Sadness, Baby", because of the whole spoiler[life after death] theme.

Last edited by belvadeer on Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Klampo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Space Dandy is a naruto fans nightmare. Talk about #filler baby!

My two favorite episodes are the ones where the girl was lost in the airport and the one with the alien who was similar to the joker who turned everyone into statues.

I personally loved the series that didn't take itself too serious
Zump

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:36 am Reply with quote
Space Dandy is definitely one of my favorite anime from the current decade so far. If there was any anime OST I would love to own, it would be this show's.

My favorite episodes are the ones where they either go crazy with the visuals (Slow and Steady Wins the Race, Baby; Plants Are Living Things Too, Baby; The Big Fish is Huge, Baby; A World Without Sadness, Baby) and the ones with absolutely absurd stories (I Can't Be The Only One, Baby; A Race in Space is Dangerous, Baby; We're All Fools, So Let's All Dance, Baby). Of the more restrained episodes, I loved Rock N' Roll Dandy, Baby (Johnny's a great guest character, and the visual gag about the drugstore was great) and Even Vaccum Cleaners Fall in Love, Baby (really adorable episode).

I'm glad to see Watanabe gather so many talented individuals for a project, and I hope we will get a movie or OVA sometime in the near future.

This show also marks the second time Junichi Suwabe has voided a booby-obsessed hot shot in a show dealing with the concept of parallel universes, the first being spoiler[Jogasaki from The Tatami Galaxy.]
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:45 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:
It is always depressing to find out that Space Dandy is a giant commercial flop in Japan, in terms of disc sales and merchandising. Yes, some may argue this show is aimed towards Western fans and never deemed to excel in Japanese market to begin with, but consider great sales number of Cowboy Bebop's recent BD boxes, I really think this show would done well, but unfortunately, not only this show ranks really low in any kind of official or unofficial Japanese poll, the disc sales...ughhhh...

Space dandy is certainly a great anime experiment. Did it succeed? Artistically, yes! Commercially, not sure...

Well, Space Dandy is almost nothing like Cowboy Bebop, both visually and narratively. Bebop's visuals are dingy and gritty, and Dandy's are garish and bombastic. Narratively, Bebop is mostly a serious story, while Dandy is a comedy with extremely dumb humor.

I think of Space Dandy as the continuation of episodes like Jamming with Edward, Toys in the Attic, Mushroom Samba and Cowboy Funk.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3