• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is AnimeTube Legit?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I found a new app in the Xbox store called "AnimeTube". It is a streaming site that has quite a lot of anime including a lot of licensed titles. The episodes stream in SD in a window, when you make the window large it leaves some space on top and on the side, ads run on top which flash so they can be a bit distracting. There are no ads in the video itself and it looks decent on my laptop. Some titles have both dubbed and sub versions. Since the app was featured on the Xbox store (have it on my laptop/hybrid) I didn't think it would be a pirate site but I'm suspicious due to the amount of licensed anime.

I didn't browse through all titles but some included titles include Ao no Exorcist (TV & Movie), Sailor Moon S, Bakemonogatari and Blood+ (sub only). They also list Attack on Titan but that just has clips, not full episodes.

Anyway, I'd like to know if this is a legitimate streaming site or not, if anyone knows. Thanks.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:19 am Reply with quote
Looking at their website (protip: it's a placeholder), and the description on Microsoft's app store
Quote:
AnimeTube collects the best anime shows and episodes from the internet and packages it all together in a beautiful, yet easy to user interface. New shows and episodes are regularly added and users are notified when updates are available.
, it seems very non-legit.

Looking at their other app, Cartoon Tube, the videos come from Youtube. The CT description says "We pick the shows so that you don\'t have to worry what they might find if they searched themselves", so it seems that shows are "added" once they find episodes on YT. Given the shows available for the anime one, it's probably ripped from either YT fansubs, or Crunchy, Hulu, and Neon Alley.

I think I'm gonna be sending a few tweets out to some anime companies alerting them to this. Very bad on Microsoft for putting this in their app stores so shady-like. Especially since all the streaming companies have official apps for the 360 at least.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I did look at their FAQ and it did look like they were getting stuff from YouTube. The fact that they're running (presumably paid) ads on it is pretty low too. That app will be uninstalled when I get home. Not that I'm being holier-than-thou because I still sometimes watch fansubs (streaming can be really wonky on my computer) but I'm not supporting a site that's doing it for profit.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I reported it to Crunchyroll, FUNimation, Sentai, and Viz, since they have the licenses from those series, so hopefully this will get taken care of.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Good job.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:49 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I reported it to Crunchyroll, FUNimation, Sentai, and Viz, since they have the licenses from those series, so hopefully this will get taken care of.

the internet police salute you. Wink
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
It's been available via the Windows 8 store for some time as my cousin uses it, despite my attempts to persuade him otherwise. I believe at least some of the videos stream legally from YouTube (albeit with even more advertising..)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Voxlogue

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
I was at my aunts for a week and she let me use her computer bless her soul.

She's got WIN10laptop and I searched Anime in the win10 store... Animetube ended up at the top, or at least close to the top in the search results.

I was using it immediately after Installing the app.

Lots of great shows to choose in the popular search criteria, but the search criteria toggles are great too you can even filter down all "Psychological" (My Favorite Rarely Listed Genre) anime by "Dubbed" or "Not" and all the titles brought down were abundant, good quality and in at least 720p, with an option to pull each episode or movie from a different server if the default one fails on the first go. which was rare for me.

I'm writing this while i upgrade my home comp to WIN10 just so I can run it... So YEAH>>>>>>>

It's Legit..

VOX
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:09 am Reply with quote
Well, there you have it, folks! Brand new ANN poster Voxlogue who I'm SURE isn't connected with AnimeTube AT ALL assures us it is legit. Welp, I'm convinced. Rolling Eyes
The Count

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, there you have it, folks! Brand new ANN poster Voxlogue who I'm SURE isn't connected with AnimeTube AT ALL assures us it is legit. Welp, I'm convinced. Rolling Eyes
Laughing Yep that doesn't sound like a sales pitch at all.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:24 am Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Laughing Yep that doesn't sound like a sales pitch at all.

I'm convinced... Win10 isn't as bad as I was warned about.

Or is it... Vox? I do often watch Vox videos on YouTube as they have a pretty progressive take on the world at large. Got to admit that I'm pretty ...

You mean it's just for the App service that connects you to free ad services with additional ad breaks added on? I believe its mostly harmless... full disclosure: I don't use it myself as I'm not foolish enough to use third party apps that blindy which is why I say "mostly"... but I do find this reaction amusing though... "Hey, do you guys know about this app that adds traffic to your commercial anime revenue?"

I'm sure they do...

And the problem with pirated YouTube videos is of course its own problem... has been, is and will continue to be a problem. "It's YouTube, it's illegal. Therefore the rest of it is stolen!" I've seen other sites do it, other apps... my Hulu desktop app searched for and connected to anime in CR and I never thought to call them out on it...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1