• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A small list of duplicate Chinese staff names

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
黒鍵

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:57 am Reply with quote
I recently noticed a number of duplicate person entries for the Chinese staff of Feng Animation (admittedly a few of them are my creations Crying or Very sad). I tried looking around but I couldn't find any threads on the encyclopedia's standard on the pinyin transliteration of Chinese names but for those with more than two characters, should we enter a space in between? (e.g. Sun Guo Qiang or Sun Guoqiang) It seems that these two variations of transliteration have been floating around the encyclopedia for quite a while.

Here are some duplicates I have found. The original names in Mandarin Chinese below (family names first) can be checked against some of the sources found under the respective pages.

石勝亮 - SHI Sheng Liang / ISHI Shōsuke (most likely erroneous, also "suke" is an unusual reading for 亮)
陳西峰 - CHEN Xi Feng / CHEN Xifeng
杜紅波 - DU Hong Bo / DU Hongbo
馬小紅 - MA Xiao Hong / MA Xiaohong
張遠珍 - ZHANG Yuan Zhen / ZHANG Yuanzhen
朱小丹 - ZHU Xiao Dan / DAN Zhu Xiao (erroneous since Dan is not the family name)
恵牛娃 - HUI Niuwa / WA Hui Niu (erroneous since WA is not the family name)
劉警衛 - LIU Jing Wei / LIU Jingwei

I would also like to flag two highly suspicious sets of entries which I think belongs to the same person as their names differ only by a single radical. This is my conjecture but could it be that the Japanese staff have had the Chinese characters mixed up?

威玉光 / 戚玉光 - WEI Yu Guang / QI Yu Guang

There are works where Feng Animation staff are credited in pinyin rather than their Chinese characters. In these cases, the staff is always credited as "QI Yuguang".

向春海 / 向春梅 - XIANG Chun Hai / XIANG Chun Mei

The only source I could find with pinyin points towards "XIANG Chunmei". Further verification might be needed.

Finally, I spotted some other erroneous entries below.

趙星寧 - XING NING Zhao (erroneous as family and given names have been reversed)
??? - CUI YUN Mai (erroneous as family and given names have been reversed, see source for Code Geass)
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
From memory I think dormcat's preference was "Sun, Guo-Qiang".

Ideally we should be using the person's own preference, but for all the outsourced work where these names normally crop up we'll probably never know what that is. I would use the hyphen when entering from Hanji but that is rarely the case anyway; usually it is entered under whatever style is used in the credits the name is first seen in and I doubt anyone wants to go through and normalise them now.

There's a thread on Korean names here somewhere if you really want to give yourself a headache...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
From memory I think dormcat's preference was "Sun, Guo-Qiang".

Unfortunately the romanization methods of Chinese names differ depending on the location. In Mainland China, given names with two or more characters are written as one word. In Hong Kong and Taiwan, such given names are usually romanized with two words, one character each, connected with a hyphen; whether to capitalize the first letter of the second character is a matter of personal preference, but since Dan has instructed us to follow Wikipedia's method, which uses lower case. In Singapore, given names with two or more characters are written in separate words, with every first letter in upper case and no hyphen in between.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I'd forgotten to even consider the capitalisation of the second part of the name.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
黒鍵 wrote:
石勝亮 - SHI Sheng Liang / ISHI Shōsuke (most likely erroneous, also "suke" is an unusual reading for 亮)
陳西峰 - CHEN Xi Feng / CHEN Xifeng
杜紅波 - DU Hong Bo / DU Hongbo
馬小紅 - MA Xiao Hong / MA Xiaohong
張遠珍 - ZHANG Yuan Zhen / ZHANG Yuanzhen
朱小丹 - ZHU Xiao Dan / DAN Zhu Xiao (erroneous since Dan is not the family name)
恵牛娃 - HUI Niuwa / WA Hui Niu (erroneous since WA is not the family name)
劉警衛 - LIU Jing Wei / LIU Jingwei

All merged, with names changed to simplified Chinese font.

黒鍵 wrote:
威玉光 / 戚玉光 - WEI Yu Guang / QI Yu Guang

威 is not a family name; 戚 is. I got the two characters confused when I was young. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

黒鍵 wrote:
向春海 / 向春梅 - XIANG Chun Hai / XIANG Chun Mei

The only source I could find with pinyin points towards "XIANG Chunmei". Further verification might be needed.

I managed to find a rather crude student animation (note: with sound) with 向春梅 listed in the ending credits.

黒鍵 wrote:
趙星寧 - XING NING Zhao (erroneous as family and given names have been reversed)

Fixed.

黒鍵 wrote:
??? - CUI YUN Mai (erroneous as family and given names have been reversed, see source for Code Geass)

I'm not even sure if that source page has the name spelled correctly. There's only one family name I can think of with "Mai" pronunciation (麥/麦). I think I'll leave it as is for now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1