• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fewer members joining ANN since 2010

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Night fox

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:21 am Reply with quote
I read a poll from 2012, and noted that since 2010, which seems to have been the peak for recruiting new members, fewer people have been joining the site annually. Is this trend a result of ANN having to compete with an increasing number of similar anime sites, or has the anime genre dropped in popularity?

Results from poll (2012-06-25): animenewsnetwork.com/survey/249/result
Shows when members started reading ANN
2012: 8.7% (only covered 6 months, so the value was doubled)
2011: 11.4%
2010: 14.2%
2008-2009: 10.2% per year
2005-2007: 7.9% per year
July 1998-2004: 3.3% per year (value was divided by 6.5)
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
The presence of other sites is almost certainly going to have an negative effect on ANN's forum numbers, especially since most of the have looser rules than we do here. That said, I doubt the poll's representative, being a self-selected group instead of the actual figures. I'd expect a burst of extra activity now that 4chan is kill, but phpBB has no easy way to generate those data sets(and they probably left quickly for another -chan).
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Isn't there a saturation issue going on as well? Most people who wanted to join ANN have already done so and therefore it should be no surprise that the yearly intake is diminishing.
Night fox

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Isn't there a saturation issue going on as well? Most people who wanted to join ANN have already done so and therefore it should be no surprise that the yearly intake is diminishing.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but according to that same poll, 55% of ANN's members are <25 years old, and 78.3% are <30. With such a large portion of younger members, I'd expect a steady supply of young people joining the site. Even if saturation plays a part in it, I wouldn't expect it to cause a 39%(14.2 to 8.7) decrease in only 2 years.

@Polycell

It's true that 3000 members are just a small part of the community, but the results showed a clear increase in numbers, up to 2010, and a clear decrease after that year. Perhaps a second poll would confirm the results, and it would also show if the trend continued over 2013-2014.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Our traffic grows year over year but I wouldn't doubt for a second that forums signups have decreased. For most sites like ours, asking people to sign up and use a bulletin board-style forum is something of the distant past.

We have a few competitors now, which we didn't really have for a while, but that's a good thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1