• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daxomni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:35 am Reply with quote
I'm currently watching Fushigi Yugi and absolutely loving it. The pleasure. The pain. The endless questions and hard fought answers. The mix of old and new. The players and the pawns. Perhaps the most unlikely and difficult relationship any world has ever known. One step forward and four steps back. How on earth did I manage to ignore this series for so long? Experiences like this are why I keep coming back to anime and why I am so thankful for Geneon's incredible sale. Thank goodness I managed to catch it. This is one series I doubt I'll ever forget.

So, what are you watching and why?

{I am stickying this thread because of its popularity. Also, just a reminder: Please, no one-liners -- provide reasons. ~nobahn}
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:07 am Reply with quote
Here we GO!!! I just finished 54 episodes!!! and I'm gonna put em here.

In order of how I watched them.

Zegapain Ep. 23-26 -Like the last post I put on here, which is the last post in general, this show rocks the cazba so I re-watched the last 4 before I get rid of em. Did I mention that the [url=HAHA Whoops, I linked to an MP3,forgot you can't do that]Opening theme[/url] was beutiful?

Welcome to the NHK Ep. 18-19 -I'm behind on this show, I know, but I'm behind on every show because I have too many to watch. Anyway like most of the other reasons for watching this. Is because I wanted too.

Gift ~Eternal Rainbow! Ep. 3 -Another Harem anime with a little magic twist, I like the character design and like the whole Gift thing, so I'm watching this one too see who the main dude chooses.

Tokimeki Memorial Only Love Ep. 7-This show is already hitting me in the good spot. 7 ep. into it and already hints of heart break in Tsukasa

Tonagura Ep. 9- Another Harem, but the main character told who he loved he loved her and it's just basically her we watch, unfold her heart or tighten between episodes. Love Yuuji's little sister.

Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto Ep. 5 - Things are heating up with troupe, after having to fight 3 demoncially possessed assassins.

Black Lagoon Ep. 23 -This is in my top 10 for this year. That was bold of Rock to talk out to Balalaika like that, that's all I have to say.

D. Gray-man Ep. 7- It kinda sucks to become an Exorcist right after fighting your demonic father, that you turned into a demon yourself. And the Black Boots are kinda cool.

Demonbane Ep. 9- I hated this episode.... You didn't get to see the butler fight enough although he fought the samurai guy.

Ergo Proxy Ep. 15 - Q, Q, Q, Q. What a wierd episode and a wierd gameshow, And theres no way nobody else won that thing, If Vincent, a clueless person that doesn't know very much about the world beat it, somebody else had too.

Freedom Ep. 1 -It's all in CG, and I kinda like it. But i'm not quite clear ona lot of what goes on here, the Earth isn't supposed to be liveable? But it is, we just don't know it?

Innocent Venus Ep. 11 -Sana should never leave, even if she wants to save her friends...And it look like there's going tobe one hell of a fight between Jin and Jo

Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori Ep. 3-4 - This show just started over with the repetetiveness without even thinking back on what happened in the last season..what the hell. The only difference is you get more commentary from the helpers of M'lady and a hall baby with BIG blue eyes, but I still like it.

Le Chevelier D'Eon Ep. 9-10 -I love this show, the animation is great and the story is heating up, and it was already hot. I hate that ugh....Russia's Queen was ripped apart after D'Eon and party stopped her assassination and everything though.

NIGHT HEAD GENESIS Ep. 8-9 - This show seemed like it would get boring but it's still keeping enough interest that it makes want to watch. It seems a virus is gonna wipe out humanity, all but a little girl.

Simoun Ep. 11-13 -This show gets on my nerves, I like the ships and some of the characters but the animation should be better for this one. Neveril is pissing me off with her can't take in the fact that her lover's dead and she wants Aeru. Limone is still the cutest though.

Kanon Ep. 8-9 -I had to stop, I originally had 56 episodes to watch but I decided not to watch 10 and 11 yet because I was crying almost all through 9 just by leading up to what’s going to happen.

Power Puff Girls Z Ep. 7-12 - I don't even wanna talk about this show....the only thing good about it is the look and the transformation of the Blossom Bubbles and Buttercup.

Zoids Genesis Ep. 35 - The second best Zoids is still running pretty good. Good thing they were successful in attacking Digu.

Bokura ga ita Ep. 10 - I was forcing myself to watch this show through 9. It's good and I love the animation but the comedy was never good and the narration of nana's mind gets on my nerve too much. But the second Yamamoto started crying in 10, I got the urge to watch it some more.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni ep. 13 -Yes I know I'm WAY behind in this, considering it's finished but I was dedicated to (fansub name) Fansubs, so I stuck with theirs, but they stopped at 14, or they're really slow.

Kekkaishi Ep. 3 -The girl finally started talking to the main dude (haven't remembered names yet) and all but that damn Ogre women just had to interupt everything.

Shounen Onmyouji Ep. 2-3 - I like the princess and hope she will stay a part of this show forever. But Mok-kun is getting annoying and I liked him the 1st episode.

Tsuyokiss Ep. 9 - I'm not sure If I like this show or not. I started off not liking it but it got better and I might like it now, Kuu is cool, and that's all she can say. And Yoppi, the student council leaders helper, and Hime, the student council leader, were fingering each other in the bushes in episode 8, and I loved that.

La Corda D'Oro Ep. 1 - A music anime. I like this show quite a bit so far, the fairy is cool and the Trumpet player is too.

Yume Tsukai Ep. 12- Finally finished it, I had to force myself through most of the episodes but when it hit 7 It got interesting fast, although predictable. So I finished it quickly.

Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge- ep. 2-3 - This show's okay so far, I'm just not digging it too much, the comedy is too predictable and the lips bug me.

Binbou shimai Monogatari Ep. 8-10 - I had to force myself to watch ALL of this show. I like the concept but with the "problems" the faced, they overeacted WAY too much, making it unbelievably stupid. Except the last episode, which made this show get the Decent rating from the So-So I was going to give it.

Pumpkin Scissors Ep. 11- It looks like the big guy is going to have some competition for power later in this show. And why does everybody hate the LT so much, she may be noble but she IS trying and following what she says most of teh time.

Rozen Maiden Ouvertuer Ep. 1-Glad to finally see some more of Rozen Maiden, and now it's clear why Suigintou is an evil bitch.

Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru Ep. 5 -I love this show so much, The "Chibi" animation makes me laugh every time, although if I ran into someone looking like that it would make me crap myself. It kinda scared me to see the ghost girl lleave but I was glad she didn't actually go.

Kiba Ep. 33 -I never even expected this show to be more than 26 episode, but hey. I like this show, the weapons are cool and I like the Spirit thing, but I don't like Noa. He was cool up until Neotopia, and he's even cool when he's with Sagiri, but every other time he's an asshole, just hope he hooks up with the other soldier lady.

Death Note Ep. 11 -Finally got the 2nd Kira in here and causing some trouble. Happy to see that

Asatte no Houkou Ep. 6 -I thought for sure Iokawa would mess up and tell the dude who she was. But she didn't and kept her mouth shut from telling her brother where she was.

Bartender Ep. 3 -This show is one deep show. Never thought Bartender would keep me interested, but it does.

YAY!!, It took around 28 hours to finish this, and 24 1/2 of those hours were straight. Now my frontal lobe hurts....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Currently re-watching vol. 4 of Fullmetal Alchemist.

What better way to ring in the new year than to watch some anime? Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Paniponi Dash has just made my "to buy" list. Its just so bizzare it cracks me up! I couldn't get over the fact that Himeko's cowlick spoiler[kept all that hot-air inside her head. And once it was removed she went into zombie-mode] Maho? Laughing I sort of thought this was going to basically be Nagima! minus the magic, change the gender, but I was sure as hell wrong. Plus, the amount of re-watch value on it is pretty large: I watched vol. 1 once normally, then once with the sub-title-track that specifically just translates the writing on the chalkboard in the background (which changes every time the camera falls on it, yet it is always non-sense), and I was starting to watch it a third time with the pop-up feature, but I decided to save that for when I buy it (I rented it via Netflix). ADV made a good choice with liscensing this one!

Love Hina ehh, I'm about halfway through, and my interest in continuing is falling. I'm getting tired of romantic comedies where the main guy character is a complete idiot with a love-interest in the main female who seems to have no other purpose than to be walked in on while bathing/changing and then smack him around. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I may lay this series to rest.
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:11 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Love Hina ehh, I'm about halfway through, and my interest in continuing is falling. I'm getting tired of romantic comedies where the main guy character is a complete idiot with a love-interest in the main female who seems to have no other purpose than to be walked in on while bathing/changing and then smack him around. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I may lay this series to rest.

Might I suggest utterly ignoring Keitaro and Naru (and the plot of the series) and simply focusing on the antics of the rest of the cast members? After the first DVD of Love Hina, I nearly stopped watching, but once they started playing around with the other characters, and quit bringing up the "plot" every 5 minutes, it was a fun series. But if you don't think you can ignore the leads (it can be quite the challenge in some episodes), you might want to go ahead and give it up. I'm not sure if I can ever get myself to watch certain episodes again, although there are others (with limited scenes of the leads) that I'll probably rewatch again and again.

Anyway, this morning I began watching Kaleido Star. I'm a sucker for shoujo, and thought I'd heard fairly decent reviews of the show, so I decided to give it a go. The first episode was predictable, but still quite cute, so I'm hoping I will enjoy the series. I just have an issue with the standard "blonde bitch" thing that's already started. It just sort of annoys me. But hopefully I'll get through it and enjoy the series (and starting early, rather than finally enjoying at episode 15 or 20).
drakonslair

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Mushishi

I like the episodic nature of this anime, its a break away from long/short story arcs and makes it very easy to pick up and put down (though I am pretty much watching it all the way through)

Honey and Clover II
Loved the first series and have high expectations for this one.
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Voices of a Distant Star: The whole premise of the time dilation & space reminded me of the plot in Gunbuster. A bittersweet tale, very nicely played out, though at only 25 minutes long, it was far too short & didn't really allow the characters to develop.

The Place Promised in Our Early Days: The second of Makoto Shinkai's anime that I got for Christmas. The background to the story reminded me of Wings of Honneamise & I enjoyed the movie a great deal, but at the end of it all I felt that something was lacking. Can't put my finger on exactly what was missing though.

Cowboy Bebop Eps 1-26: Prior to getting these boxsets, I had only seen the dubbed version on UK's Toonami TV(?), stopping at episode 10 when an overzealous online reviewer spoiled the ending for me. -_-;; I really enjoyed the series, especially subbed; even though it's over 8 years old, the animation has stood the test of time IMO, & Yoko Kanno's score shines through. I also recently saw the Knockin' on Heaven's Door movie too, so it was very cool to see Spike & the crew on another adventure.
RezSav

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Naruto: It's on Toonami... so :p But also I'll be watching a lot more of it in the coming months, thank God the filler is over.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:03 am Reply with quote
At the moment, I've finishing up the Rumiko Takahashi Anthology. The storytelling is is standard, and the characters are portrayed in an easy to understand fashion; however, I'm enjoying the peculiar twists that pop up every now and then spoiler[(still can't believe the attempted family suicide scene was shown)]. It's also been a nice break to me, as I've seen pretty much nothing but dramatic, angst-filled shows as of late. However, this won't last too long, since Berserk is (finally) next up on my list.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:55 am Reply with quote
Strawberry Panic -- Finished this one up, and while there were some cheesy moments, it was a decent show overall. Lots of pretty girls, angst, and of course the shoujo-ai, can't forget about that Anime smile Although the main stories about Nagisa/Shizuma and Hikari/Amane were engaging, it's the girls from Le Rim that really stole my heart. They're just so cute in look and voice, and I loved all their antics and costuming. This solidifies my decision to get the manga & novels when Seven Seas releases them.

Yoaka mae yori ruriiro na ~Crescent Love~ A short series finally completed. I'll probably post full thoughts in the appropriate thread, but I'll just say that it was everything I expected, which is to say not too much. It was a cute game-based series with an interesting premise and some fun characters. While the ending was pretty predictable spoiler[I knew they wouldn't have the guts to actually have Tatsuya die, which would've made the series pretty innovative], I don't regret watching it.

Kanon 2006 -- need to catch up on episodes 13 and 14, but the series hasn't disappointed me so far. Despite being based on a so-called "crying game," there really are a lot of funny moments, thanks to Yuuichi. 9 and 10 were sad, and 11 and 12 have delved more into other girls' stories. Kanon 2002 raised complaints about spending 2-3 episodes on a girl and then forgetting about her. The '06 version avoids this problem.

So Friday night, I hung out with some fellow anime fans and decided to bring a series that I just got in the mail and had never seen before. That series was Yumeria, and let me tell ya, Yumeria + alcohol + friends = a rockin' good time Very Happy With all the fanservice, jiggle, lolis, catgirls, stuff exploding, Magical Girl transformations and plot-catalyst sexual innuendo surrounding the "charging" of the girls' powers, it's just so addictive that two of my friends wanted to borrow it. I'll have to use the fansubs to finish the last seven episodes for myself ASAP. Shoot, I've even picked up the habit of doing the hand-waving with index finger and thumb in the "L" pose like the Yumeria girls do in the OP.

So in exchange, I'll be able to watch Trinity Blood and Tenjou Tenge without paying for them or suffering the guilt/inconvenience of downloading them. I'm literally watching episode 4 of Tenjou Tenge right now, and Rolling Eyes, it's a good thing Aya's hot, as the series is full of so many martial arts / shounen fighting clichés. But to its credit, TT is visually impressive and features some interesting music choices.
doug19992000

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:44 pm Reply with quote
The shows I'm watching now are:

Galaxy Angel: I am enjoying the light-hearted nature of this series. Like the episodes where things will start off serious, then give you a comedic twists . An examle would be spoiler[ the episode when Milfeulle is looking for Vanilla's lost item. Everytime she came back with all those riches, Vanilla just dumped them down the garbage chute. Another would be where it was believed that Normad went back on the missle to destroy the giant dice.]

Boogiepop Phantom: When I read the back of the case for each volume I thought that the series was going to be episodic. Which had me questioning the plot, however after watching a couple of episodes I saw that spoiler[ the stories for each character intersect. The fact that the plot is played out while each individual story crosses paths is what I like most about this show.] Probably because I haven't seen it done in any other anime so far.

Also took the time to watch:

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade: A good movie about a different time line to Japans outcome of World War two than the one we know now. Has a nice mix of poltical intrigue, action, and drama. The riot scene up to the spoiler[suicide bombing at the beginning and how Public Security was trying to use Fuse as a sacrifical lamb to disband the special unit would be two examples.]

Once Fate/stay night comes in the mail I will defintely watch that to see if it's as good as people say it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Song_Bird

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:09 am Reply with quote
After making the resolution of spending more time with this hobby instead of forcing it to take a backseat to a *cough* 14 year gaming habit, I’ve had quite a busy viewing week.

Yami no Matsuei - I was kind of leery of this show because the recommendation came from a raving fangirl. But, I have to admit I liked it and ended up doing a mini marathon.

Loveless - Heard some hype on this one but to the truth, after watching the first episode I found it a bit boring and slow. Being a trooper I’ll push through and see if it gets any better or if I should find something else.

Get Backers - Awhile back I read the synopsis of this and decided I wanted to see it. I finally got to see some and for some reason I took an instant liking to it. Slowly but surely I'll get my hands on the rest of the series.

Ayoshi no Ceres - This reference also came from a fangirl (I think). After the first couple episodes I feeling of indifference, but after a few more I started getting pulled in. I'll probably finish this by week's end.

Tales of Phantasia - Being a RPG and a fantasy fan I figured what the heck. It was a quick run through a lovely fantasy world that wasn’t bad at all but could have been better.

Excel Saga - Well seeing this mentioned a lot on the forums I decided to try it. Random, weird and bizarre, it left me in a state of confusion and laughter. One more series I’m looking forward to finishing.

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito - Never heard of this show but the title sounded interesting. I ended up finishing this one in a day too. After getting use to the jumping around I found myself enjoying it. Although I could have enjoyed more without the fanservice. The only problem is afterwards I had a few small question still unanswered.

Also ended up watching the first episodes of Kage Karu Mamoru, Psychic Academy, and Weiß Kreuz . These left me feeling like blah, I not sure if I'll even try to finish these.
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:15 am Reply with quote
I'm watching Inu Yasha right now. I want to finally finish the series so I started it again. I haven't seen an episode in a while so it is surprisingly refreshing going back to it. I was going to start from about episode 100 because I couldn't remember what episode I had left off at, but I saw the first movie and realized that I did not remember as much of the series as I though I did, so now I'm "skimming" through the first hundred or so episodes. Of course you really can't skim a TV series, but I start skipping episodes when I start to remember what was going on at that point.

It's also pretty cool, I used to follow this on TV so I'm more used to Richard Cox and Moneca Stori, but now I am watching them mostly subbed and it is really fun to hear Kappei Yamaguchi and Satsuki Yukino as well. Except for hearing either Cox or Yamaguchi combined with the storytelling style reminds me of Ranma, so I end up popping a random Ranma episode in the DVD player when I am switching the Inu Yasha disks; this happens especially when after episodes where Kikyo appears (particularly subbed episodes with Kikyo) Wink . I guess the Inu Yasha watching is just going to go really slowly, but really fun too. Very Happy

Random thoughts:
I had stopped watching this show mostly because the plot just never seemed to advance to anywhere near a conclusion, but after watching countless other anime with completely inconclusive endings I can go back to Inu Yasha and just enjoy the fun character interactions and storytelling. I always loved most of the characters except for Koga who I always hoped would be killed off each time he appeared. As long and never ending as people think the show was, I always thought a really fun spin-off could have been made with Sesshoumaru, Jaken, and Rin who are my favorite secondary characters in the series.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:49 am Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
I had stopped watching this show mostly because the plot just never seemed to advance to anywhere near a conclusion

Unfortunately, it never does. But as long as you are prepared for that, it won't be as big of a let down. I also thought the characters were fun and enjoyed their interaction, and while the later episodes go for long stretches of sub-par material there are a few real gems mixed in.

undeadben wrote:
I always loved most of the characters except for Koga

Oddly, the writers just seem to forget about Koga. He doesn't appear at all near the end of the series, and I kind of wondered what happened since toward the end spoiler[they are talking about keeping Naraku from getting the last jewel shard, but the last we knew Koga still had two of them. I don't think anything was ever specifically mentioned, but can we assume this means bad news for Koga?]

undeadben wrote:
I always thought a really fun spin-off could have been made with Sesshoumaru, Jaken, and Rin who are my favorite secondary characters in the series.

They get a little time to shine in some of the later episodes, which is good. They also get some screen time in a couple of the movies.

With the holidays I haven't had much time to watch anime, so I am still working through Hand Maid May, which is just silly so far, but at least it's moderately entertaining.

I am also re-watching one of my favorite series, Figure 17. Despite its weird combination of fighting against horrible alien creatures threatening world destruction with following the daily life of 4th graders in Hokkaido, somehow it all works well and ends up being one of the most touching and enjoyable series I have seen so far.
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:33 am Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:

Unfortunately, it never does. But as long as you are prepared for that, it won't be as big of a let down. I also thought the characters were fun and enjoyed their interaction, and while the later episodes go for long stretches of sub-par material there are a few real gems mixed in.

Yeah, I sort of gathered as much from so many reactions here, but I am prepared. I think I can get through the end now without ever really expecting the big conclusion and still be satisfied.

Quote:
Oddly, the writers just seem to forget about Koga. He doesn't appear at all near the end of the series, and I kind of wondered what happened since toward the end spoiler[they are talking about keeping Naraku from getting the last jewel shard, but the last we knew Koga still had two of them. I don't think anything was ever specifically mentioned, but can we assume this means bad news for Koga?]

Ha! Read the spoiler. Good news for me either way, less Koga.

undeadben wrote:
They get a little time to shine in some of the later episodes, which is good. They also get some screen time in a couple of the movies.

Even more goodies. Thanks, you just helped me look forward to the latter episodes and movies even more.

Someday, in the distant distant future, I'll have all the Inu Yasha Manga accumulated and, more importantly, I'll actually sit down to read it, and maybe someday that'll have some sort of an ending.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 1060