• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
@dtm42

I haven't read your post; and I'm not going to read your post. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
That's cool. People get understandably cautious around spoilers, I most certainly do not hold it against you. Just remember that I haven't spoiled anything the shows themselves did not immediately spoil through their own opener or closer.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Currently watching Sugar Sugar Rune, Kaleido Star New Wings and Yawara! Nearing the end of Kaleido Star in fact, and I'm really disappointed with it. The first series was so much fun. Even while I was rolling my eyes at the silliness of it (as happened often), it made me smile again and again, whereas the second series has just felt like a chore. I kept waiting for it to pick up, and it didn't. And three episodes from the end it still hasn't. What's at stake in the drama is not as clear as in the first series, the tone is haphazard, and... Sorry I fell asleep.

Yawara! on the other hand is a gem. The drama is not terribly fast-paced, and the characters aren't very complex (as of ep. 28), and yet Yawara and her challenges feel real and involving. I could happily watch 124 episodes of this.

I also get the feeling that the animators had a lot of fun working on Yawara!...

Yes, I think it's fair to say that the animators had quite a few chuckles...

Embarassed Embarassed
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I finished up 2 series this week. The first was the excellently produced Chihayafuru which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was so pretty to watch, and all of the characters were so likable. I have a bias against lead protagonists usually, but even I thought Chihaya herself was a lot of fun.

Just a few minutes ago I finished up Persona 4. That was rather painful. I'm a big fan of the game, but they really just made an incoherent mess out of this one. I don't know how anyone not really familiar with the game would be able to make heads or tails out of what was going on (or care why things were happening). There are a couple of episodes that were fun, but they didn't advance the plot at all. The actual plot episodes were frequently disjointed and kind of dull. I'm rather disappointed with how poorly they did this one.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Finished Cardfight. The storytelling is definitely better than Yu gi oh.

Before talking about it, I'd like to bring up Yu-gi-oh. Yugi, you absolutely suck after the first arc! That's all.

Cardfight wasn't that bad to be honest. I expected to drop it at some point but never did. It's a good Saturday morning show to watch while eating your breakfast.

I suddenly feel lazy, I'll stop here.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:20 am Reply with quote
Just watched the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, rated is as Very Good. I have to say I liked the movie, although I will echo many people and say that it was too long. Fifteen, twenty, even thirty minutes could have been shaved off the runtime without negatively affecting the pacing or storytelling. Even as a casual fan of the franchise (if one uses the term "fan" loosely) I could still tell what was going on (and why) and picked up on the vast majority of the references. Therefore I don't think it is as inaccessible as some say it is, although newcomers will be absolutely lost, no doubt about that.

It is a very, very well-animated and drawn movie. Everything is very fluid (although some parts are noticeably more fluid than others, sometimes distractingly so), and even simple things like characters putting on or taking off articles of clothing (which happens numerous times) are all done properly with no corners cut. Quite a bit of effort went into depicting the faces, like Yuki's eyes shifting nervously and how Kyon's eyes get progressively more tired and desperate.

In terms of characters I loved how Haruhi herself was missing for quite a good chunk of the movie. I know she's supposed to come across as being utterly obnoxious but we are also supposed to like her. However I really don't like her; in fact I hate her. So at the halfway point when Kyon finds her I internally groaned, because she is the biggest weakness in the entire franchise. Kyon however I did like, although I don't know if I agree with his decision. He was undoubtedly the star of the movie though; the other characters were almost forgettable.

I didn't rate this higher because of two big reasons. The first was the length, and the movie did suffer because of it. Not a heck of a lot happened in the movie, not enough to justify that runtime at any rate. So it was kind of boring with everything stretched out too far. Secondly, the movie was made by fans for fans. Either you'll think the movie is absolutely fantastic, or you'll acknowledge that it has a good plot and a good main character and great technical merits but little else; there's nothing here to really hold your interest if you aren't massively into the franchise already.

So yeah, I can see why fans would adore it, and I freely acknowledge that it is a competent production even without appealing to the fans. If you loved both the series you will love this. If you didn't, there is enough here to be worth watching, but just set aside an entire evening to do so.
Otishio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:46 am Reply with quote
I'm just now starting Bakuman. I heard a lot of good praise about the show and just decided to go along and start it and the first episode was pretty decent and can't wait to get to the second season.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:08 am Reply with quote
Otishio wrote:
I'm just now starting Bakuman. I heard a lot of good praise about the show and just decided to go along and start it and the first episode was pretty decent and can't wait to get to the second season.

Ah, great choice. The first season is very strong, but the second season is amazing. I really don't see how the writing can reasonably get better, it was just so freaking good. The third season is starting ~October this year, so you will have plenty of time to finish the first two before then.
Otishio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:46 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The third season is starting ~October this year, so you will have plenty of time to finish the first two before then.

Yeah, I heard somewhere that it was supposed to come out around then as well. I'll most likely get the two seasons done reasonably soon.
killmyself

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I like Bakuman but it isn't a great show it is just interesting and different. The first season moved at a snails pace but the second was far better. You are eager to see the next episode because it stands out just by being different from most anime the content itself isn't amazing.

I watched Guin Saga and it was a decent show but I didn't find any of the characters likable or memorable. The moral ambiguity made it feel like none of the characters had a functioning brain and I was just watching puppets fighting.

I'm about 30 episodes into Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn and hoping that the characters eventually mature and the show gets good like Naruto.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
killmyself wrote:
I like Bakuman but it isn't a great show it is just interesting and different. The first season moved at a snails pace but the second was far better. You are eager to see the next episode because it stands out just by being different from most anime the content itself isn't amazing.

I disagree, I thought the content was amazing. The whole promise between Moritaka and Miho is extremely stupid, there's no denying that. It's like an albatross constantly weighing everything else down. But "everything else" is quite frankly superb, and the fact that I rated both seasons so highly even after factoring in the promise speaks volumes at how good this show can grip you.

I actually like how the first season was paced because it invested time on the characters and that paid off. The dialogue in both seasons is really really good (as is expected from the guy who wrote Death Note), the characters are likeable, and the comedy bits are hilarious. I also liked how the characters are ageing and getting more experienced; five years are covered in fifty episodes, so it doesn't bog down as much as you think. There's always something that is going on, it sure isn't aimless.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:48 am Reply with quote
Decided to drop Madoka Magica. I just don't get what people see in this show.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:53 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

You cut me ikillchicken. You cut me deep.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:58 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
You cut me ikillchicken. You cut me deep.

Heh heh.

On Apr 01, ikillchicken wrote:

You're too easy man. Wink
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:04 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
You're too easy man. Wink

LOL, I walked right into that one . . .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 675 of 1061