• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Botan24

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Botan24 wrote:
Next up is The Twelve Kingdoms. I have a thing for fantasy, so hopefully this will be right up my alley.
If you like fantasy, you'll probably love Twelve Kingdoms. The setting is intricate and beautiful. The amount of thought that went into it makes this one of my favorite anime.

Intricate is the right word. I'm only about four episodes in and adoring it! Oh, and I forgot to mention that I own the blu-ray version, so the show looks even better than fabulous. The colors are so vivid, it feels like I could pull and Alice Through the Looking Glass moment and step right into the world via my TV.
anime racket

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Recently finished Princess Tutu volume 2. My first time watching the
series; it was quite a treat. I'm feeling hesitant to watch my
copy of Narutaru that came in the mail with Princess Tutu.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:42 am Reply with quote
Felt the need for some hot blooded mecha action to get me prepared for Sai Mecha, so I started rewatching New Getter Robo. Two episodes in and I can already feel my soul BURNING!
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote
I watched the 2nd half of the first season of Kimi Ni Todoke when it came in the mail earlier this week, and found season 2 online because I just couldn't stop. Smile This from someone who has read several volumes past the events in season 2 in the manga. I was just so captivated that I wanted it to continue. So many warm fuzzies.

Also, I was initially planning on watching Toradora - and finally completing it, I've owned it ever since it first came out, but for some reason something else always gets in the way. As much as I like it, this is the 3rd attempt to finish it. But KnT came...and I got sidetracked again.
4750G

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
I'm currently watching Ah! My Goddess (which I've watched before, not season 2 though) and Samurai Champloo (which I've never seen in its entirety but have had a look of some eppies here and there). I'm just at the third episode for both anime, but I already know how Ah! My Goddess goes, just watching it for no reason at all. Samurai Champloo though is looking good. I don't know if there's a cleaner version of it because my copy's just full of blood. Not complaining, I don't particularly hate too much blood. I liked its OP, quite a catchy tune it had. I'm also liking the heroine, whose name I forgot. What I like about her is that she's not totally helpless. She fights for herself, which is good, because useless women piss me right off. As for the two samurais...they aren't really samurais, right? If I'm not mistaken you have to have a lord to serve for you to be considered a samurai. Whatever, they're both strong, and I do prefer that over a "potentially strong" character. Sadly I might have to postpone my viewing for a while, I'm having a pretty busy month.
kaydub

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
So, in addition to Kids on the Slope and Space Brothers (which are both fantastic so far), I also started Eureka Seven Ao, Medaka Box, and Bodacious Space Pirates. Looks like this spring is going to be a very busy one for me!

4750G wrote:
As for the two samurais...they aren't really samurais, right? If I'm not mistaken you have to have a lord to serve for you to be considered a samurai.

I guess the more correct term would be ronin, but AFAIK that really only applies to Jin and not Mugen, as spoiler[Jin actually did serve a master at one point while Mugen did not.] I'd say Mugen is more of a wandering swordsman.

Although, at the same time you could possibly consider Fuu their "lord" as they both promised to serve her until she finds what she is looking for, so I guess they could be considered samurai in a way.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:41 am Reply with quote
Well, first off, finished Gasaraki, which is clearly Ryosuke Takahashi's take on the whole NGE thing. It's the fourth Takahashi series I've seen (not counting VOTOMs spinoffs), but probably my least favorite. Not to say that it's bad, but wowee, it's certainly not for everyone. Most of the series is a political drama for one thing, it's not all guns and mecha. Speaking of which, the mecha are odd, they're backloading mecha. Took me a few eps to put my finger on why they were weird, that was mostly it (in addition to being able to inject the pilots with random substances to monitor their health at any given time). If you compare that to the mech from the other three series of his I've seen, VOTOMs, Blue Gender, and FLAG all load in from the head. I can't really name any other series with back loading mecha honestly. Just seems kinda weird. Except for the weird semi-spoilerish mecha in Gasaraki, those are torso loaders.
Really, this is a show for people who want political dramas but with mecha and some other weird stuff ala NGE. But unlike NGE, I never felt bashed over the head by any sort of symbolism (all obscure Japanese stuff I think) here. For those of you who do not like political dramas, the episodes will seem to go on forever. For those of us who either dig it or don't mind, the episodes will seem short. Even then, I feel like I missed most of the drama parts of the series, trying to figure out whom was allied with whom and lots of little things, it's definitely a series that requires two watchings. Maybe not as badly as RahXephon needed two watchings, but yeah, it kinda does need it. Overall, it's a hard series to recommend to those who don't either like the director or don't like the genre, as if you go in it looking for the mecha action, you will be bored.
This was the new Nozomi release I got btw. My only complaint is that I totally forgot for a moment there that they don't edit end credits then they play the song and show them in English again. Forgot that minor annoyance, even though they clearly did so for Aria and Emma's sets. I'm assuming they'll do it for Nadesico too?

So then I started Fist of the North Star. I got the 3 sets of HnK 1 in a few weeks ago. I mean the TV series, not the movie here. It was a blind buy, quite risky, but I think it's paying off. I'm about 14 eps in. I understand that the series really won't start to get good until in the 20s, but trust me when I say the first 14 eps haven't been painful in any way. They've been quite entertaining, except to those who demand actually good animation. I had a Gundoh Musashi moment last episode I watched I think. But man, when it comes to seeing Kenshiro be badass and kill people in interesting ways, it's quite awesome (and I do mean interesting, a lot of the henchmen die ordinary deaths, but bigger bosses get fun stuff like spoiler[hitting a pressure point to make their own muscles snap their spine in half]). The back of the box said "Never before have so many been killed by just one man" and it's absolutely true. For the first disc (7 eps) I decided to tally how many death counts he got. I decided to quit after the first disc because the count was just too damn high. Freakin' 90 man. In the modern world where most shonen seem afraid to kill a main villain, let alone 24 of his henchmen in one sitting, the death toll in this series is ridiculous (and I can't count DBZ in all good consciousness as the world of death seems to have a revolving door and you can bet anyone who dies will come back anyway). And I'm only counting the people Kenshiro has killed here, not all the random innocent civilians killed by the baddies and their henchmen. But Kenshiro is definitely a good guy, seeing him stalk the only bad guy so far with the brains to attempt to live for like, an entire episode, was kinda hilarious (Kenshiro briefly reminded me of Pinkie Pie there). Kenshiro is probably one of the most noble heroes I've seen in a shonen yet. Ok, so Kenshin and Vash are pacifists, but Kenshiro understands that you actually have to kill the bad guys to help the townspeople. And he has no problems doing it either. Characters will look at him like "you're just gonna let the bad guy go?" and Kenshiro goes "I can't just let evil go. No, it's just that he's already dead" then head explody. And Kenshiro can also use his acupuncture powers of kill to help people too. It's actually kinda refreshing that he's clearly not an anti-hero yet killed 90 people in 7 episodes. And that the two tagalong kids are not completely pants on head retarded (ok, they haven't really added much yet to be fair, but they don't entirely suck yet either. They have yet to run in front of Kenshiro with the sole purpose of getting kidnapped/held hostage, I must commend them for that. They also seem to understand that a guy who can catch an arrow in between his fingers then throw it back through the guy's head and stop most bad guys with a single finger probably doesn't need their help fighting, I really hope that keeps up).
I can't wait for this series to really get going as if this isn't the good part but I'm still having this much fun, I can't wait to hit to good stuff! If you can look past the (to be honest) fairly shoddy animation (even for its time it's nothing spectacular) and action lines all over the place (and the rather ridiculous noises Kenshiro makes when splitting heads WOTTCHAAA!) and lots of violence, it's definitely a shonen worth checking out. It's starting to remind me why I love 80s anime so much. Again, another awesome reminder, sheesh! Ok, it's been a bit light on characters so far, but it's squeezing it in a little, hopefully that'll be part of the tone shift in the 20s-30s. Though Kenshiro is already undeniably badass (both fighting and catchphrases). Seeing how Buronson wrote Sanctuary, I knew FotNS had to be considered awesome for a reason, eh? I'm starting to see why so many other anime (Abenobashi, Gintama, etc) pay a loving homage to this series.
4750G

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:35 am Reply with quote
kaydub wrote:

4750G wrote:
As for the two samurais...they aren't really samurais, right? If I'm not mistaken you have to have a lord to serve for you to be considered a samurai.

I guess the more correct term would be ronin, but AFAIK that really only applies to Jin and not Mugen, as spoiler[Jin actually did serve a master at one point while Mugen did not.] I'd say Mugen is more of a wandering swordsman.

Although, at the same time you could possibly consider Fuu their "lord" as they both promised to serve her until she finds what she is looking for, so I guess they could be considered samurai in a way.

Thank you, that's really informative. Smile Of course, I've already been spoiled because I cannot not look what's underneath those spoiler tags. Mad
OtakuMommy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:13 am Reply with quote
Series I am watching right now:

Princess Tutu -- only because I've heard soooooooooooooooooooo many recommendations for this series. I've only seen the first two episodes, but I'm looking forward to watching more.

Samurai Champloo -- also on my long list of anime that I'd been meaning to watch. I own "Cowboy Bebop" on DVD, and since they both have the same director I thought I would check it out.

Heaven's Lost Property
-- because sometimes a show featuring characters with big boobs can be fun to watch just for the ridiculousness of it. Smile And I actually like the story behind it, to the point where I'm thinking of cosplaying one of the character's more modest outfits.

High School DxD -- started watching this based on recommendations as of last night.

Madoka Magica
-- Re-watching this one, primarily because this is one show that has REALLY gotten into my head.
kaydub

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
4750G wrote:

Thank you, that's really informative. Smile Of course, I've already been spoiled because I cannot not look what's underneath those spoiler tags. Mad

Haha, if it makes you feel any better, I only spoiled the what, and not the why. It won't seem like so much of a spoiler once you get to that part of the story Wink
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
anime racket wrote:

What was it with CPM and putting kids in horrible situations?

Alien 9
Now and Then Here and There
and Narutaru.

All excellent shows, but none are pleasant watches.
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching Air Master. It's been awhile since I've watched something I ended up hating this much. First off: the character Renge. Her voice (japanese) and personality lend a whole new depth to the word annoying. In one episode they go to karaoke and they subject you to several minutes of her screeching wailing. I never thought bad voice acting would ever effect the way I rated a series, but this is absolutely intolarable. The entire time she was 'singing' (if you can call that assault on the eardrums music), the only thing I could think of was "make it stop make it stop oh please MAKE IT STOP".
The other thing that makes me hate this series is a scene where the main character, Maki, is almost raped and it is passed off as comedy.

Those two factors could be mitigated by other elements, but the story, music and characters are all weak. The fights started off unrealistic but fun, but degenerated. It also dabbles in both shoujo-ai and shounen-ai, neither working very well in the story. The ending was also bad. As most tournament anime do, this show closed with a final fight with the Big Boss spoiler[who is only introduced in that episode. It seems he may be immortal or something, but it's not explained well. And when the fight is over, we don't even find out who won, making the entire fight seem pointless.] In fact, that makes the series feel kinda pointless.
Save your ears, save your time, don't watch this.

To recover from that, I think I'll watch Hotarubi no Mori e next, because it is something I'm sure I'll love.
anime racket

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
anime racket wrote:

What was it with CPM and putting kids in horrible situations?

Alien 9
Now and Then Here and There
and Narutaru.

All excellent shows, but none are pleasant watches.

Yeah, so I've heard. Is it true that the last dvd of Narutaru can
rival even the End of Evangelion for sheer disturbingness?
Mossy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote
The Galaxy Railways OAV
Because Tetsuro kicks Manabu's butt. Cool
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
Recently watched the first episode of Medaka Box off of Crunchyroll, seems like a decent series overall, probably pick up Sentai's release when it comes out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 682 of 1061