• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
Finished Samurai Champloo and enjoyed it a lot! It was much more slice-of-life oriented than I thought it would be, and much funnier too. Boy was it funny! The food-eating-contest episode and the baseball game episode especially Anime hyper. This hardly needs to be said, but the action was really great. One of the things I enjoyed most was the more realistic approach it took to the fights than most action series. My only complaint is about the end. spoiler[Jin was able to avoid a supposedly fatal blow from Kagetoki, and then somehow survive another supposedly fatal blow from the same guy, still injured less than a day later. It's not anything big, but it gave me the 'he-can't-die-cause-he's-the-protagonist!' feeling.] This was the only time it seemed to stumble on that trope so I'm not holding it against it. Overall, very different than what I was expecting but very good. It reminded me a ton of Cowboy Bebop, in that they are both about a ragtag group of misfits as they go about their lives, and the tone and tendency to portray harsh reality coupled with hilarious antics.
Kyoyafangirl445

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
Just watched the first two episodes of Full Moon O Sagashite on Hulu. It's a pretty cute series so far and I'm enjoying the little love triangle that seems to be popping up between the characters. I really wish there was an english dub, but I like the japanese cast just fine, although I do think the the main girl's voice sounds a little bit too old for a twelve year old.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Now up to episode 44 of G Gundam. Man, for all it's weaknesses and repetition (hey, let's defeat Devil Gundam AGAIN) you can really tell that this is an Imagawa show. His unique flair, sense of drama and dedication to cartoonish exaggeration and making everything and everyone as AWESOME as possible really shines through, even in a kid's show like this. Can't understand why so many people seem to hate this Confused

Rating so far: Very Good

Also started rewatching Gankutsuou, but I'm already considering dropping it after only three episodes. My permanent, blistering hatred for Albert (seriously, f*ck that guy) and the later revelations concerning the Count are really undermining my ability to enjoy the show even at this early stage.
kaydub

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I watched B Gata H Kei since I was in the mood for something raunchy and short. I thought it was pretty enjoyable, though the cluelessness of the main characters did start to wear on me after a while. Yamada's spoiler[attitude switch from simply clueless and determined to total tsundere bitch] was kind of confusing and off-putting. Also, I wasn't expecting spoiler[the last few episodes to get that ecchi... I figured the show would toe the line but not show any actual nudity, so seeing Yamada's bare chest kind of surprised me].

It was fun to watch and very humorous, I was laughing through most of it. The fact that the show was so raunchy yet focused on the very real confusion and ineptitude of teenage love was quite interesting because it's something I could actually relate to in a way. I can remember feeling a lot of those same emotions when I was going through high school and really dealing with girls for the first time.

Overall I liked it, and I'd say it's worth at least checking out.

I need to go watch something with a bit more testosterone now, I've noticed that I've been warming up quite a bit to the idea of watching romcoms now even though they never used to hold much interest for me. Gotta keep up my manly facade Neutral
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Kyoyafangirl445 wrote:
Just watched the first two episodes of Full Moon O Sagashite on Hulu. It's a pretty cute series so far and I'm enjoying the little love triangle that seems to be popping up between the characters. I really wish there was an english dub, but I like the japanese cast just fine, although I do think the the main girl's voice sounds a little bit too old for a twelve year old.

There is actually a partial dub for the series as I recall, Viz dubbed some of it but never finished (due to low sales), no idea if it's streaming anywhere though.

Since I seem to end up watching Hyouka and Dusk MaidenxAmnesia both on Mondays I hereby dub my Monday's "Mystery Mondays"! Enjoying Hyouka a lot more than Dusk Maiden, there haven't been any real mysteries in Dusk Maiden so far (or a plot really come to think of it) while the mysteries in Hyouka are interesting and small enough that it makes sense that the characters are able to reason through them. And the art, it's completely stunning and even the many "characters sit around and talk" scenes are great to look at.
supercreep

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Working my way through Niea_7. I'm really enjoying it, and will probably end up rating it as very good. I also dropped Jormungand and picked up Sankarea.
Botan24

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Finished Samurai Champloo and enjoyed it a lot!...My only complaint is about the end. spoiler[Jin was able to avoid a supposedly fatal blow from Kagetoki, and then somehow survive another supposedly fatal blow from the same guy, still injured less than a day later. It's not anything big, but it gave me the 'he-can't-die-cause-he's-the-protagonist!' feeling.] This was the only time it seemed to stumble on that trope so I'm not holding it against it....

Actually, Watanabe was planning on spoiler[Jin dying]. Personally, I'm glad he let spoiler[both Mugen and Jin live]. That, or they'd both spoiler[have to die], but Watanabe said he wanted to have the moral be that the three would look back on their journey together with fond memories. (I'm quoting loosely from either the Samurai Champloo Roman Album/art book or the notes from the Geneon release.) Glad you liked it, Tris8. Btw, I love your avatar. Wink

Moving on! I'm really diving into OAVs and movies lately. I think they're easier to get through because they only require one to two hours tops. Plus, my husband is more willing to sit through a short film (or feature picture) than twelve to twenty-six episodes. I am too, mostly because the weather is getting really nice outside, and I want to spend less time indoors, and more in the sun! But I digress.

Porco Russo
I'm making my way through the Ghibli vault. This was another good turn out, focusing on a solider with a past. This "curse" of his is never fully explained. He used to be a man, but sometime between the end of the war and the present he turned into a "pig". His physical appearance is that of an actual pig, but he stands upright, wears clothes, speaks english, etc. However, by the end of the movie its hinted that he no longer is a pig, but returned to human form. I'd have liked the story to focus more on those aspects and less on the pretty girl and dog fights. But it is a Ghibli film, and the machinery and adventure tend to come first. I'm starting to notice similarities in the musical scoring too. I do believe the same composer did all the early Ghibli films. In any case, I like John Williams and most of his scores sound similar, so I have no problems there. I good effort, but not one of my favorites.

Coicent/Five Numbers
Coicent - This is one part of the bundle Sentai put out that also includes another OAV Five Numbers. Very cute little story, with a happy ending. I liked the bright colors and the deer that had a small supporting role. The boy and girl are suitably cute, and the story outlandish and over-the-top. However, being a thirty minute OAV there are numerous plots holes, the animation is so-so, and the music is lacking. That being said, this short provides a fun little romp that I enjoyed.
Five Numbers - I wish there had been more of this story! The ending really threw me, and I still don't understand what happened. spoiler[Besides the whole "cat plague" being re-released.] That sucks, so sorry people of earth. Anyway, being an OAV, there only can be so much detail or backstory. It almost felt as if it was being told like a fairy tale, with some sort of moral. But, I didn't pick up anything like that by the end. Perhaps I was just too confused as to why there were spoiler[multiple kids/android clones running around.] I still enjoyed it though.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Just finished Ashiteruze Baby and want to mention that it's a very heartwarming series that I won't forget.

In the beginning, the main protagonist Kippei Katakura was a popular playboy but later changed into someone he'd never thought he'd become after a faithful day. As I watched through the episodes, the theme of responsibility became quite clear and I was touched on how much he changed as the episodes progressed.

Throughout the series, there are also more serious themes being explored such as stalking, loneliness, child abandonment/abuse, and even later suicide. Now, I started telling myself that all these themes are quite realistic. They are issues that could happen to our own lives, any day, any week, any year. With a package of 26 episodes, they try to fit a lot of material into to this series and did a great job imo (although I heard the manga expands beyond this).

Yuzuru's innocence in the beginning serves as the antithesis for the protagonist and later becomes one of the driving forces that changes his character. He began to take responsibility after realizing the circumstances she is in (with some help from his older sister of course Laughing ). Then there are some other characters worth mentioning especially Kokoro, Kippei's love interest throughout the series. Her personality is also the antithesis of Kippei. While Kippei is outgoing and smiles often, she maintains a mood of mysterious atmosphere and generally has a quiet personality. As the episodes progresses though, I find their bond and interaction to be quite interesting.

Well, not much else to say on this series. It does have some fan-service like those pool episodes later Cool and spoiler[even one scene in episode 9 where they were kissing for quite a bit at school LOL].

Overall, I found this series that I just finished to be noteworthy due to its realism, the realism of responsibility and appeal to the shoujo demographic. That actually is quite surprising tbh as I'm not a fan of shoujo series unless they get to a level similar to Toradora!

Good light toned series with a realistic view on life as well as a heartwarming tale. Ahh, my marathon for this was worth it. *sips coffee*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Botan24 wrote:
Tris8 wrote:
Finished Samurai Champloo and enjoyed it a lot!...My only complaint is about the end. spoiler[Jin was able to avoid a supposedly fatal blow from Kagetoki, and then somehow survive another supposedly fatal blow from the same guy, still injured less than a day later. It's not anything big, but it gave me the 'he-can't-die-cause-he's-the-protagonist!' feeling.] This was the only time it seemed to stumble on that trope so I'm not holding it against it....
Actually, Watanabe was planning on spoiler[Jin dying]. Personally, I'm glad he let spoiler[both Mugen and Jin live]. That, or they'd both spoiler[have to die], but Watanabe said he wanted to have the moral be that the three would look back on their journey together with fond memories. (I'm quoting loosely from either the Samurai Champloo Roman Album/art book or the notes from the Geneon release.) Glad you liked it, Tris8. Btw, I love your avatar. Wink
I'm really glad too that spoiler[both Mugen and Jin survived. If one of them had died by Kagetoki's blade it would have robbed Mugen and Jin of the chance to show huge character growth by deciding not to kill each other.]
You're a fan of Dola too? I'm glad! She is one of my favorite characters in one of my favorite movies, and I only hope to be half as awesome and spry as her when I'm an old geezer. Anime hyper
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
Botan24 wrote:
Coicent
Coicent - This is one part of the bundle Sentai put out that also includes another OAV Five Numbers. Very cute little story, with a happy ending. I liked the bright colors and the deer that had a small supporting role. The boy and girl are suitably cute, and the story outlandish and over-the-top. However, being a thirty minute OAV there are numerous plots holes, the animation is so-so, and the music is lacking. That being said, this short provides a fun little romp that I enjoyed.

Pretty spot on this post. I enjoyed this OVA as well when I watched it. I found that the art was the most unusual part of this 25 min OVA. The story was a bit short imo, given the only 25 min block. Still, cute story indeed and bought a smile to my face when I watched it (:

I'm also keen on watching the popular movie Summer Wars soon which I heard bears resemblance to this. I think I got the movie on-hold for ages now Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:37 am Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
Working my way through Niea_7. I'm really enjoying it, and will probably end up rating it as very good.
It is very good. And if it weren't for the tedious Indian cos-player and friends it would be even better!

NieA_7 is on my mind at the moment because I recently recommended it as a present for my father-in-law to but for the (anime-watching) daughter of a friend. And apparently it bombed. As in, it was a failure as a gift. Oooh, well.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:21 am Reply with quote
@ ailblentyn - can't say I'm surprised. I struggled with the first two eppies and haven't gone back to it yet. You have to be careful with shows like NieA_7 - they are very particular kinds of experiences and you have to know the person you are recommending them to pretty well before you can predict if they are going to like them.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:43 am Reply with quote
Apparently! It joins the list of bad recommendations I have given recently, along with the Christmas present of Kaleido Star to my little niece. On the other side of the ledger is my gift of Paranoia Agent to my best friend/brother-in-law, which was a HIT!

None of which absolves you, Blood, from your duty to give NieA_7 another go at some point.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote
And I absolutely will. I suspect I will end up liking it. However if I don't, I will absolutely blame you. Wink
hiroowner16

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote
Fushigi Yugi is the best I've seen .... ^-^ oh and death note who doesnt like L!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 695 of 1061