• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I've been on a bit of a magical girl kick lately so I decided to check out Heartcatch Precure because I've heard good things about that one and I just love the slightly retro style to the character designs (it's by the same people who did Casshern Sins and Saint Seiya Omega). I'm only a few episodes in so far so I don't have that much of an opinion on it but it's rather cute and I like the two leads so far so that's a good sign.
kaydub

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
RGaspar wrote:
Although, it feels kinda incomplete too.

Take my words with a grain of salt, as I have only seen the movie and not the episodic series, but from what I understand, the movie presents a more cohesive and "whole" story compared to the series. It's more or less the exact same thing with some extra scenes added, but some of the parts have been rearranged in a way that supposedly adds a bit of depth to the story, so it may be worth checking out the movie as well.

I do agree with you about Rikuo and Sammy. If I had to pick out one flaw, that would probably be it. I don't think their relationship was ever intended to be the primary focus, but at the same time I feel like it could have been elaborated upon so much more. Especially after we see her spoiler[become more and more human-like as the story progresses], I feel like it cuts off prematurely.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Black Jack. Mostly because it was added to Hulu yesterday, and I really wanted to watch something outside of my usual genre preferences.
hpulley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:34 am Reply with quote
Thanks so much for recommending Time of Eve! I watched all six episodes last night. Wonderful! Just that, episodes were too few and too short might be my only complaint. Why hadn't I heard of it before?

I'm four episodes into Another and enjoying it too. Wasn't sure if it would be like Dusk Maiden of Amnesia which I loved but it is not the same at all. spoiler[Another is full of tropes and cliches, transfer student, class clubs, gantai girl who isn't there...but somehow it works!]

RGaspar wrote:
So, I've been watching a lot lately.

Aaaand the last one...

Time of Eve (ONA - 6 Episodes): This. Is. Beautiful. Now I get why some guys around here are "Enjoying the time of Eve". Just when I thought Madoka was going to be the best anime I've seen all year, here it comes a challenger. Why didn't it have more resonance in the fandom?? The characters are great, and although the story is on the thin side I think they treated it with care without going overboard with a "grand plot" of sorts. Although, it feels kinda incomplete too. Specially after the last episode. There're hints of bigger stuff to come.

That's why I think it's almost a masterpiece, almost. The most interesting aspect of the show (Rikuo and Sammy's relationship) it's not allowed to come full circle, due to the very few eps available. At times it feels like ToE was chapter 1, and we're left waiting for chapter 2.

So, the emotional impact of the series is very high already, but I think it could been even higher (Hope to see a second season someday).

Final Score: Excellent (9)
Wintermoot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
ZZ Gundam
already saw the Zeta gundam movies and it looked like fun
Hokuto No Ken
it looked awesome
AT Votoms
like HNK it looked awesome

Battle Programmer Shirase
had it sitting on my HDD for to long so I,m marathoning it.
supercreep

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Did a re-watch of Neon Genesis Evangelion. Eva was my re-introduction to anime, and I went in cold. All I knew was that it involved mecha, and that people loved it. Even now, knowing what I do about the budget problems that plagued the production, I still find the ending artistically valid, even if it is difficult to understand. I remain as moved by the final episodes now as I did then.
Botan24

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Had a re-watch of GTO last week. Finally managed to wrangle my husband into seeing it. He enjoyed it just as much as I did, although he wasn't too pleased with the ending. I feel it's strange that Onizuka is in a situation he just can't get out of spoiler[(not without running away that is).] Even with that, I still don't mind the ending. The best parts of the show are the constant on-again off-again relationship Onizuka has with Miss Fuyutsuki, and, the english dub.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote
Finished Martian Successor Nadesico, something I had looked forward to on the basis of liking scifi and 90s anime. I'll admit, I'm far more picky on comedy, so that was my only wary point. Fortunately that ended up not mattering. The humor in Nadesico is a sort of subtle satire, it feels no need to make sure the audience has noticed the joke or to have noticed what series it was parodying by flitting about the screen like a crazy person practically holding a banner with the parodied series written on it. Now, a lot of the humor, honestly, won't do much for people who haven't seen a few 80s scifi or mech series and aren't familiar with the tropes. For people who are, it's a loving satire and parody and it's just so damn awesome for it.
Now, my complaints are, somewhat, with the ending. On the plusle side, I think all of the relationship threads were completed. On the minun side, I'm not really sure how the war ended exactly.
But when the rest of the show is so much fun, I can kinda let it slide, since it did finish up all the relationship loose ends, which I think was a bit more important. Because the ride was more fun anyway. And one of the best parts was clearlyGekiganger III, an in-universe troperifiic celebration of 70s and 80s over the top mecha scifi shows. You'll know just about every plot twist in G3 by the time Nadesico is over. But the weird thing is that whatever footage you see of G3 eerily seems to predict things in Nadeisco itself, there's this weird meta thing going on between them. Makes me excited to see the OVA that came with my DVD set! Actually, that whole 7th disc looks chock full of extras, it ought to prove awesome.
So I say that for people who enjoy old school sci fi and mecha series (there's a whole ep parodying part of Macross for example), you should really enjoy the humor. For others....not sure how much of the humor you'll really get, it might honestly not be a show for people without some background, it probably won't be as funny, but I'd check some of it out on Nozomi's youtube page first.

Now I'm left with a dilemma though. For the third time. This is the third anime set I've bought that has a movie with it (the other two are Blue Gender and RahXephon). The thing is, I've not seen the movies of either of the other two sets. But this time, it's not just a recap, it's an actual continuation, but based on the description, it doesn't sound like a continuation I'm particularly interested in. How did Ruri become so uber popular, she's cool and all, but she's the deadpan snarker and wasn't a main main, how did she get the spinoff movie (and on one of the bonus magnets?) So anyway, do I watch a movie I don't think needs to exist or what?

Anyway, many months ago, I took a pause from Fist of the North Star. I stopped after part 2 (57 eps) because the end of part 2... made me sad. So I think I stopped sometime before Otakon, like 3 months ago maybe, and FotNS is a damn long series, and it seemed like a good time to watch some other stuff. Not because FotNS isn't awesome, but because I was starting to feel a little burnt out I guess. But now it suddenly feels like the right time to pick it up with part 3. We shall see if I thinks I shall take a break after Part 3, we shall see. But part 2 ended at the end of a disc, math wise, I bet that won't happen between parts 3 and 4, but as long as part 3 doesn't leave me all sad at the end, no need to take a break (end of season 1 of LoGH made me take a break too)
Anyway, this starts the Souther arc, the newest bad guy, and another of the South Stars. But, even more interesting than that, we see a flashback with a 13ish year old Kenshiro. And he has a mullet! He was a mullet-youth! Either way, it's proving just as addictive and easy to digest as ever before. Dunno if it's the budget animation which means I don't have to pay very close attention, or the readability of the subtitles. Discotek mostly used the Toei subs, but they also edited them, so they did a good job with that, and the font/color is nice. But then again, mooks and Lin mostly use the same dialogue, half the time I don't even need subs for them (and I can only understand a few phrases and the character names in Japanese), so when those characters are talking, it's no Shakespeare. But the more I watch of it, the more it seems like all the other shonen since want a little bit of FotNS in them. I've only seen 7 eps of Part 3, so I'm trusting it will get more interesting because Buronson also wrote Sanctuary, and by the end of Part 2, I was so sold! More like the end of the first mini-arc of Part 2, but Part 2 as a whole was some of the best fighting shonen I think ever.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:08 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Now I'm left with a dilemma though. For the third time. This is the third anime set I've bought that has a movie with it (the other two are Blue Gender and RahXephon). The thing is, I've not seen the movies of either of the other two sets. But this time, it's not just a recap, it's an actual continuation, but based on the description, it doesn't sound like a continuation I'm particularly interested in. [...] So anyway, do I watch a movie I don't think needs to exist or what?
The movie's worth checking out, but be prepared for the drastic change in tone. You might also want to forearm yourself with knowledge of what happens between the series and the movie. It was originally released as a Sega Saturn game, but it was never brought over to the US.
Quote:
How did Ruri become so uber popular, she's cool and all, but she's the deadpan snarker and wasn't a main main, how did she get the spinoff movie (and on one of the bonus magnets?)
She's a well-written snarky loli. What more do you need?
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I finished up watching They Were Eleven today. While it's just a movie, I took about a week to watch it as I'd only watch 10-15 minutes each morning while I was eating breakfast. I'm not really sure how I feel about it. For so much of it, it's all about the DRAMA!! and then the end comes and it's all spoiler[happy fun times]. The credits where they spoiler[show each character's picture and what they did next] had me laughing out loud because there are 2 types of movies where that tends to happen: coming of age comedies and documentary/biopics. This was neither, so it was completely out of place but in a deliciously bad/hilarious sort of way. Especially considering the fact that I had only learned the names of about 3 of the characters throughout the course of watching.

I wonder if the manga works better. So much of it is inner thoughts and dialogue, so it seems it would work better in a fixed print format. It's not bad, but it is pretty dang cheesy. Plus, I like Hagio Moto...

Random aside: It wasn't until I saw that Justin Sevakis did the the subtitles that I realized it was a CPM title.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal (73 Episodes)

Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal tells the story about a young high schooler named Tsukumo Yuma who enjoys dueling, but is terrible at it and is always losing to everyone he duels. When he meets a mysterious alien spirit named Astral, who lives inside the Emperor's Key, an artifact his father gave to him before disappearing on one of his expeditions, he's dragged into an all out battle royal for control over the mysterious "Numbers" which hold not only a vast amounts of power, but also contain Astral's memories which he lost. Astral himself is unsure why he was sent to Earth, as he lost his memories during the process, but sticks around Yuma because he is the only person who can see him. The two of them unite to collect all of the Numbers and restore Astral's memories in addition to surviving the various Numbers Hunters who begin competing to take the Numbers for themselves.

There's a lot of things I loved about this show. The characters, the music, the visuals, the creativity, the story, but I'm just going to do a little analysis of one thing I liked about it, mainly how it had two main villains who were against each other but also a lot alike. Spoilers be warned, I suppose.

The show sported two main antagonists: Dr. Faker and Tron (real name Byron Arclight); who both share similar yet contrasting goals and methods to one another. Long ago Dr. Faker betrayed his fellow scientists (which included Byron and Kazuma, Yuma's father) and used them as sacrifices to open a portal to an alternate dimension the three of them were researching together. Byron survived the incident, but was horribly disfigured and mutated as a result. He assumed the identity Tron in order to mask his identity and begin plotting his revenge against Dr. Faker.

Faker, as it turned out, sacrificed his fellow scientists in order to make contact with the Brian World. Faker's son, Haruto, was born with a terminal illness and grew weaker every day. With modern medicine unable to help, he searched the Barian world for a power to save his son, and found it, but on the condition that he helped the inhabitants of the Barian World destroy their enemies, a dimension known only as the Astral World. Willing to go to any lengths to save his family, he agreed and proceeded to devise a way to contact the Astral World and attack it. Faker is a man who willingly burdens 'evil' deeds in order to protect and save his family, whome he cherishes.

Tron, however, became obsessed with revenge against Faker. Unlike Faker, his bond with his children began deteriorating after the accident. Soon he began viewing his children as nothing more than pawns to further his single goal of revenge against the man who ruined his life. Tron's attitude towards his sons becomes apparent when he orders his middle son, IV, to kill a young girl named Rio Kamishiro. IV didn't know what his mission was at first, but when he used the card [Hell's Blessing] as he was ordered to, a sweeping wave of fire emerged and set fire to the building Rio was in. IV was ordered to leave her, but despite his desire of wanting nothing more to please his father, he was unable to allow himself to become a killer. He rushed towards a badly burned and unconscious Rio and saved her, causing himself to also become burned and scarred in the process. Rio survived, but remains in critical condition in a coma. Unbeknownst to IV, this event would later shape Ryoga's, Rio's brother, own quest for revenge, which was Tron's goal all along in order to shape and crate the perfect candidate to be his assassin to kill Dr. Faker. Never the less, Tron was disappointed with IV's lack of will to do what needed to be done and began casting him aside.

So while Dr. Faker is a man who does evil for his family's well-being, Tron is a man who uses his sons well-being for his own evil. Two contrasting, warped themes of family and bonds. For both of them to reach their goals, they both need to collect as many Numbers as they can in order to use their powers. In the middle of this family quarrel you have Yuma, a teenager who's father was stolen from him by Dr. Faker, yet lives by his fathers words of kindness and doesn't hate Faker for it. Instead, when he gets dragged into Tron and Faker feud of revenge and is revealed the truth about his father's disappearance, he makes it his own goal to stop these two selfish men who are destroying lives of everyone around them.

Just a quick little analysis of one aspect I liked. Like I said, there's tons more stuff I could talk/analyse: Shark's descent into revenge/darkness after his sister's accident; Kaito, Faker's older son who also wants to help his brother and his rivalry with Yuma over collecting Numbers; Gauche and Droite, two employees of Faker who begin questioning his methods and their little adventures and eventual defection; the relationship between Kaito and V, Tron's eldest son and their history together and them now being enemies because of their father. III's, Tron's youngest son, goals and agenda differentiating from his father's. III and his relationship with Yuma. Kaito and Haruto's relationship. There's too many things to talk about and I ain't got the time to talk about all of them. But there's definitely a lot of stuff I loved about the series.

Personal Opening and Ending of Choice
Opening 2: Braving
Ending 2: Longing Freesia

These two themes I think best encapsulate the series. Showcasing all the characters, their allegiances, and setting the mood for the series.
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Finished Moyashimon season 1 and 2. It was quite funny and enjoyable, though it took more of a slice of life approach than I thought it would. Season 1 in particular was entertaining. The main character Tadayasu has such an unexpected and out-of-the-box "superpower" (the ability to see microbes) that at first I thought his ability would be completely useless. But the setting is such (mainly a research lab at an agricultural university) that his ability comes in to play pretty often and it doesn't feel like a stretch.

The spotlight in the second season was on Hasegawa, a graduate student with whom Tadayasu works with. She has an impending arranged marriage that she really wants to avoid, and it nearly dips in to melodrama with the drawn out conflict. But the resolution surprised me with its understated insight. spoiler[It turns out that her fiance didn't really want to marry her either, but pressure and a desire to impress had driven him to pursue it. I really liked the "climbing trees" metaphor, and how it expressed that they can both be good people, just not work together.] But most of the second season isn't like that; the majority is silliness and good microbe comedy fun.

I am now going to start My Ordinary Life so I can finally understand some joke about broccoli and bicycles.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:51 am Reply with quote
Over this last month I've decided to tackle the last chunk of Armored Trooper Votoms OVAs I've not watched. I'd wrapped up the TV series earlier this year. But held off on the OVAs for... I'm not sure. Votoms burn out probably.

Decided to watch them all in production order.

The Last Red Shoulder
Big Battle
The Red Shoulder Document: Roots of Ambition
Shining Heresy
Pailsen Files

It was actually kind of interesting to watch the animation style evolve over the years. There were such large gaps in production years its like unearthing a series of anime time capsules. Shining Heresy in particular is so 90s it hurts (in a good way. I mean a cyborg woman battles a Votoms to a stand still. This is why I watch animation) Pailsen Files in particular was a bit of a treat as it had been my first exposure to Votoms and I had not watched it since the fansubs came down in 2008. It was actually kinda nice to watch it after watching Roots of Ambition, cause being a direct sequel to that OVA certain things make a lot more sense now.

Currently I'm half way though Phantom Chapter. I have watched it before, but I figure might as well go through it again. Since I'm gearing up to watch the very last bit of Votoms I have not watched, Alone Again.

I'm actually kinda sad, since I like the franchise a lot, and I'm at the end of it. The likelihood of there being more seems pretty slim. There hasn't been any news about the franchise in a while. The two spin-off OVAs Case: Irvine and Finder didn't seem to spawn any follow ups. Which is unfortunate. I wish US distributors would find some interest in the series. I'd love to see Funimation or Sentai put out Phantom Chapter + Alone Again on Blu-ray. Nozomi or Diskotek should totally put out the TV series and the rest of the OVAs on DVD.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:44 am Reply with quote
Got through the first season of Kore wa Zombie desu ka? before I got bored and dropped it. The only current release I'm keeping up with (now that Tari Tari and Kokoro Connect are both over:() is Sword Art Online. Since Kore wa Zombie desu ka has gotten boring, I suppose I'll have to find something else to fill the gaps between SAO episodes. I'll probably start finishing the second season of K-on!, and slowly work my way through Humanity has Declined.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I have a bad habit of starting too many anime series, getting distracted and overwhelmed, and then never finishing some of them despite them being good series. So I'm trying to go back and finish some of those now.

Currently I am on Inu X Boku Secret Service. I had forgotten just how much I liked the character of Ririchiyo. I guess she's supposed to be a tsundere, kind of, but she's so much less annoying than one would expect. Not sure if that's even quite the right term for her anyways. Regardless, I like her, and the relationship between her and Souchi is amusing, sweet, and more than a little creepy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 725 of 1061