• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
The lolis are in high school so it doesn't count as child pr0n. :'D

*shot*

Also (spoiler for rant)
spoiler[Feds going after people who watch under-age-looking FICTIONAL characters is completely, 100% retarded. If you're gonna do that, better get rid of all that renaissance art with the naked cherubs because OMG, THEY'RE CHILD-LIKE AND NEKKID. SOME SICKO MUST BE GETTING OFF TO THAT INSTEAD OF BEING OUT, MOLESTING REAL CHILDREN!!]

*rolls eyes in disgust*
momthemeatloaf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Watching Madoka Magica right here on ANN, just finished episode 6 and I have to say the series has me hooked so far. spoiler[Mami's death ] was a real shocker and really drove home that this is NOT your normal magical girl series. Sayaka is really impressing as a character, and spoiler[Sakura] shocked me by just how candid and violent she can be. I don't know anything about the studio that created it or the history behind production, but this show seems like it was a risk to make and I applaud the people who did.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
About Moetan
I started that show ages back but kind of postponed finishing it indefinetly. I like loli anime, but it was just too much, and that duck pissed me off.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I find the duck hilarious but...I'm just not easily offended by crap like this. Anime hyper I can see how others find it too "wrong" though.
It IS wrong.
Very very wrong.
.....I'm still laughing my ass off.

Also just started the second season of AKB0048...which is less wrong. Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:51 am Reply with quote
Just bought the first part of Bodacious Space Pirates today, I enjoyed it at the beginning of last year so now I am watching the dub. Showing it to my brother, I just hope he doesn't get bored as it can be very talkey.

I also bought a sub only release of Mayoi Chiki, so I may also be watcgubg that. May not be one of my top series, but it has one of my favourite characters.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Just bought the first part of Bodacious Space Pirates today, I enjoyed it at the beginning of last year so now I am watching the dub. Showing it to my brother, I just hope he doesn't get bored as it can be very talkey.

I also bought a sub only release of Mayoi Chiki, so I may also be watcgubg that. May not be one of my top series, but it has one of my favourite characters.

I just finished Bodacious Space Pirates recently and enjoyed it much more that I was expecting to with title like that. I started it on AnimeOnDemand and finished it on CrunchyRoll instead of waiting for it to roll out an episode at a time. I am glad I saw it, because just the name would have kept me away had I not gave it a shot on AoD since I am a freak and try to watch nearly everything they air...I figure if I am paying for a subscription, I should make use of it...anyway, the show wasn't about absurdly busty space wenches, thankfully, and I was able to enjoy it.

I am in the midst of watching Mayo Chiki as well since it's another that is airing onDemand, and I am thinking it's going to be a fine watch. I know it's nothing original, but while it's not great, it certainly isn't a bad watch either so far. Who is your favorite character? How can you not love a butler girl...when she's a boy.

I just found it fun that we had just seen the same things.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:42 am Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
Who is your favorite character? How can you not love a butler girl...when she's a boy.
My favourite character is Kanade Suzutsuki, I enjoy everything from her character design which I practically have an unhealthy admiration of, to her personality. Looks like an Ojou-sama, but is actually rather sadistic and a troll underneath, and she has another side that she is actually quite careing.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I finished Blassreiter, and it turned out to be one of those rare series that objectively do everything right, but just didn't connect with me. Awesome action, a fast-moving story, interesting mystery, and unexpected twists are all present and well done. The characters are done pretty well and the story wasn't afraid to spoiler[unexpectedly kill off most of the main cast, before the show even hit the half way point! Lots of points for audacity, not seeing it coming and really feeling for the characters as they fight for life.] But despite checking things off in my mental list of things that can make an anime good, it didn't draw me in. I liked it, just not as much as I think I should have =/

I also just watched the first episode of Kimi ni Tokoke, and it was wonderful. The episode was both very funny and touching. Sawako's pure-heartedness is remarkable and got to me right away. How did this not go further in the Best First Episode Tournament??? Oh, it was against OHSHC in the first round. Even if it had beat OHSHC, it would have been against Moribito the next round, so. But anyway, I've only seen 1 ep but I already love it and can't wait to see the rest.
TF

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:36 am Reply with quote
Saw the 2 Macross Frontier films yesterday.
The first movie was decent, the 2nd was better. At a certain moment, I was convinced they really spoiler[killed Sheryl when she flew into space.]

I'm having mixed feelings about the movies. On the one hand, I'm glad that the love triangle is resolved but on the other hand I was really disappointed with the ending. *sigh* Which is starting to happen a lot.
spoiler[Why did Alto have to go with the Vajra? Ok, if he didn't, he would have been dead, but come on. How hard can it be for creatures that can fold at wil to sent him back. Now Alto is stuck in some place and Sheryl is in coma waiting for him to return.]

conclusion:
The love triangle is cleared up, yet they still succeed in creating a sucky ending Anime cry
momthemeatloaf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Now I feel better and it's nearly time to go shave. We have got to stop meeting like this.

You set aside time for shaving? I wish I had that level of respect for my facial hair Razz

More on topic, I just started watching K-On yesterday, and I'm definitely enjoying how lighthearted and fun it is. No drama, no conflict, just characters I like doing things I find amusing.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
First, what I'm not watching. I have a strong antipathy to dropping shows, I've watched around 400 titles, but have only dropped four in that time. Well, I can add two more to the list now. First is Natsuyuki Rendezvous. After I realized I hadn't watched an episode in around five months, it was time to give it up. I had watched up to episode five, but the whole possession thing really bothered me. I have a very strong dislike for body-switching shows, I find the idea of people controlling other bodies quite repellant. So when the story went that way, I lost all interest. I tried multiple times to watch episode six, but always gave it up before I got a few minutes in. Couldn't take it, so the files suffered the forbidden 'shred -fu' command.

The second show I dropped will probably cause some consternation. Chihayafuru. Now, before people get up in arms, let me explain. Back when I was in high school, we read William Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury. That book is a masterpiece of American literature, it is a talented, well-written and amazing work. And I hated every page of it. It's not that I didn't appreciate or understand it, I could see what it was doing and was impressed, but it was a pain in the ass to read. Chihayafuru is same. It is a wonderful, well-written show with deep characters and beautiful animation that I hated to watch. And I think the problem was with karuta. The show could not generate any drama with the card games, and so the drama had to be generated with the characters. And it did a good job with that, those character driven moments always took a backseat to these useless card game scenes. If it had been a show about any other Japanese hobby, something that is even remotely interesting, then I would have loved it, or if it limited the karuta scenes, but kept returning to this fundamental flaw like a dog to its vomit. So while I can understand why people love this show, for me, watching it was a grueling chore, and I'd rather waste my time with something I can enjoy. So I replaced it with Twin Angel: Twinkle Paradise, which hilariously stupid. And I apologize for any aneurisms that last sentence caused.

Now, for what I am watching. I finally got around to seeing the first episode of Miracle Girls. First, I have to thank my various gods that a obscure, 51-episode series from 1993 is completely fansubbed. While there is a surprising number of old shows that are subbed, I have had too many hopes dashed digging up these titles to take anything for granted. Anyway Miracle Girls features these twins with psychic powers, kinda like the Wonder Twins, only not at all. The first episode was rather good, amazingly, there was none of the infodumps so common these days, they managed to tell us everything we need to know by the character's actions, but there was one thing that really surprised me. The hobby of one of the girls was chemistry. When was the last time you saw a show where one of the main female characters had a scientific hobby? I mean, sure, there are a several shows with lady scientists, but a teenage girl? And it shouldn't be like this, this should be common, but these days, even in progressive shows or shoujo shows, all the girls want to be idols or models, or the sort (or a housewife, how many times have you seen a girl blushingly declare her greatest wish is to be married?). That they could do something so progressive but at the same time do it without being preachy or smug about it was amazing. In short, I was really impressed with this first episode. In fact, it probably beats all the first episodes I seen of the newly airing winter season. So yeah, Miracle Girls. Check it out.

/Also, the Miracle Girls takes place in a school without uniforms, apparently, which was not uncommon twenty years ago, but you'd never see today. At least according to anime, which is where I get all my information about schoolgirl fashion
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Chihayafuru is same. It is a wonderful, well-written show with deep characters and beautiful animation that I hated to watch. And I think the problem was with karuta. The show could not generate any drama with the card games, and so the drama had to be generated with the characters. And it did a good job with that, those character driven moments always took a backseat to these useless card game scenes. If it had been a show about any other Japanese hobby, something that is even remotely interesting, then I would have loved it, or if it limited the karuta scenes, but kept returning to this fundamental flaw like a dog to its vomit.

Well, I hate to come off as a rabid Chihayafuru supporter, but you just didn't give karuta a chance. At the start of the series I - like many viewers - felt the game was far too simple to generate drama. And yet, it (generate drama). Boy did it ever. Not only was the drama around karuta engrossing - how the characters learned more about themselves while playing, how the characters would get cope when they lost - but the game itself was so much more than it seemed. It would be hard to explain all the little details, so I won't try (I'd probably explain it badly). But we eventually see that karuta is a gruelling sport that exhausts players mentally and physically, is quite involved tactically (you have to be fast and play smart), and is definitely a proper sport even if it is too small to go professional. Going into the show I knew nothing about karuta, but after the first season I felt like I could understand why it could be so challenging. When you see the characters after a match downing chocolate like crazy because they're trying to restore their blood sugar levels, you begin to realise that it isn't a child's game, even if it is commonly thought of as such.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I just love visits from the FBI. We always have such delightful chats. I even know their names and how each one of them likes to have their tea.

Well, it's not like you weren't given sufficient warnings on your behavior on the internet.

I couldn't resist that one.

Anyway, getting onto the topic, finished up two series over the weekend.

First up was the second season of Shakugan no Shana. Like many, I've heard the series starts to roll downhill after the first, and boy, those statements weren't kidding. The first half of the series was nothing but a damn harem, going so far as to add in another girl into the mix.

Forgiving this, what really set me off was how horrible this series is in HD. I can't stress this enough: don't waste your money! It's terrible, ugly, and just poorly done.

The banding issue is so blatant, it actually starts to get distracting. If this wasn't bad enough, the entire series was overlayed with an oversaturated contrast, making too many scenes much too bright.

Despite adjusting many settings in both my player and TV, the overlay is so intrusive, it's just not possible to get rid of it. The best setting I could tolerate was placing my backlight on the darkest setting, reducing the brightness and contrast to less than 50%, and just accept that it's the best it's going to get.

And don't think for a second the DVDs are any better: they're not. These are not the Geneon masters. The same whitewash appears on them as well, meaning they were re-mastered then upscaled.

Disgusting.

Thankfully, this abomination of a product was quickly forgotten as I threw in Sentai's release of Heaven's Memo Pad. By the end of the first episode, I was captivated. As I watched Alice, a NEET who rarely leaves her room, I thought to myself "Gee, does this girl ever bathe?" and by the end of the first episode, my question was answered.

That gets a high mark in my book, because the episode related to such a random thought. The stories are fast paced and are pretty good, though I can't say I'm pleased with the group's overt stereotypes. Thankfully, they weren't that obtuse in behavior, so the few scenes where they let loose were easy to digest.

Most of the stories are well written, and the pacing of each doesn't draw them out excessively. Despite being a "detective" agency, it's more akin to a bunch of friends who take care of the neighborhood, and the "detective" pretty much just finds records online to assist in cleaning up the problem.

I enjoyed it well enough I actually watched it twice in a row. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:10 am Reply with quote
Okay, I finished the first half of the Bodacious Space Pirates dub, it was rather enjoyable watching it all on DVD. My brother had some fun recognising some voice actors from other roles, one he liked was Kane's who we recognised as Chris Patton who sounded like Sagara Sousuke. I did find a couple voices were a little too soft like Misa's and Chiaki's, and Marika's took me a little while to get used to due sounding so much like Clannad's Nagisa. Although I guess Marika's did work into the fact she acts more like a ditz than she actually is. I thought Gruier was pretty well done.

I definetly plan on buying the second half when it comes out, especially since I know there are some nice things to come. The animation in this half was good with the ghost ship and such, and I am always surprised at how much I feel invested despite action being the characters over computer screens. And I can't g0et enough of the opening song, I watched each time in my original watch, and I watched it here.

I think I might also use this to announce that I actually moving house now, and I don't know how much internet access I will have over the next couple of weeks; moving to Brisbane and staying in hotels. I got my entire anime collection in a carry case, all 183 discs, so I might be watching some of those instead of my internet addiction.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:49 am Reply with quote
Rewatched all of Digimon Tamers in the last couple of days. It's just as good as I remember it being, and possibly even better. A great series that appeals to both kids and adults alike. Although it's a kids' show it doesn't talk down to its audience. Quite the opposite in fact; it uses some high-brow concepts and explores some weighty themes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 746 of 1061