• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Today I finished watching Diamond Daydreams. In addition to the stories of the girls' journeys through romance, cheer, and heartbreak, I enjoyed the features of certain landmarks of Japan that appeared in the midst of an episode.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Just moments earlier, I got done watching Kurogane Communication. A young girl named Haruka has found herself to be the last survivor on Earth after enduring a savage war that has caused death everywhere. It wasn't until a small group of friendly robots have taken her into their refuge that she eventually finds out she's not alone and that their may be other human survivors out there...somewhere...
I really enjoyed the ending; the prospect of robots co-existing with humans can be a fun thing to experience. Smile
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:13 am Reply with quote
How many series have you watched now, Mr. Oshawott? Don't get burned out now.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:34 am Reply with quote
^
Well, I've lost count, but I usually watch 2, sometimes 3 shows a week. Hmm, perhaps I should tone it down a bit...

Interesting that you say this while displaying Larva as your forum photo, since I finished watching Vampire Princess Miyu last night.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
Vamp Princess Miyu is fantastic. I've been watching older titles actually. The Sadness of Belladonna is not for the faint of heart, very controversial. It has now prompted me to grab Rose of Versailles that I've put it off for too long.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Why? Because Rose of Versailles recently told my arrogant self that shojo is just another word for a place one could find grad storytelling in.

Just watched episode 9 and all kinds of stuff has hit the fan in one big, shiny, epic explosion of awesome. With still 30 episodes to go, my expectations for this firework of entertainment are basically through the roof by now. I feel like typing in capitals, that's how awesome this thing is.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I've just started to watch Eureka Seven AO - I've heard mixed reviews but seeming as Eureka Seven is one of my top two series I decided that I would be rude not to give the sequel a shot. The first two episodes captivated me, watching it I was having flash back to the original series, the visuals and musical score were as amazing as one would expect from Bones. Moving forward through the next 4 episodes (I've only watch up to episode 6) I felt the magic slowly slip away. That's not to say that this show isn't good because it is very good, again up to this point, but I feel it lacks something that the original had in abundance. This would be grit and character development and realism. Every character feels to polished and the audience hasn't been given the chance to explore the characters, even Ao. I believe it was in episode 6 the spoiler[big huggable guy dies] but I felt very little - my guess it was meant to be quite an emotional sequence but you can't become emotionally tied to someone who has had 3 lines and less than 5 minutes of screen time. I also feel that the characters are two polished and do not have enough flaws, what made E7 great was that each character had multiple layers and complexities to their personalities, you didn't know whether to love them or hate them; with Ao its made pretty clear. Hopefully this will change further through the series and I do look forward to see where I am going to be taken.

A small wish that I hope is explored or shown, no matter how quickly, is the crew of the Gekkostate - they played a huge part of making the world as it is today and I am surprised they or Renton haven't been mentioned so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
To add a bit of spontaneity on a slow-moving day, I decided to watch Ayane's High Kick. I found it to be interestingly amusing that Ayane had a much greater shot a being a kick-boxer instead of a pro-wrestler. Smile Although the voice acting sounded a bit stiff throughout most of it, I had fun with the show. Had AHK been super-popular, I bet it would've gotten a series of some sort...I personally feel that this one-hour OVA was just too short. Nevertheless, it was a blast while it lasted.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Watching Akuma no Riddle right now, because I am bored and I am watching anime that appeal to me in alphabetical order. So far, I like the show, but we'll see.....we'll see.....

I am also watching Akatsuki no Yona & Sora no Method as they air, because those two shows hooked me on this season.

Yeah, I am watching three anime at the same time.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Rose of Versailles is badass. Really it's a must watch. I waited way too long for this but I enjoyed it like a fine wine.

Only 40 episodes that have great painted scenery and a gripping story, Oscar is sure to make you take notice.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm more than halfway through watching Problem Children Are Coming From Another World. The comical mishaps of Black Rabbit made the show pretty fun to watch, Unfortunately, the simple mistakes present throughout (such as the mispronunciation of 's name) spoil the moments every now and then...
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
As a fanboy it hurts to say but Ai Tenchi Muyo is not only the worst thing even remotely associated with the franchise, it is also one of the worst things I've seen in anime in years.

Completely vapid
an insult to every iteration of the characters but mostly to Kajishima's gradually maturing version of Tenchi himself
HORRIBLY constructed
Sasami sounds like a little old lady
nonsensical and completely unnecessary recaps every week
and for a show meant to showcase a region for a tourism project- they show and mention absolutely none of it.... not even which region in general they're suppose to be in.

It's just garbage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the midst of watching Suzuka. The show is a bit slow-moving, but I think that's what makes it good as it allows time for the characters' personalities to develop. I think Suzuka's slight quick-tempered characteristic could be a bit of a help to Yamato for going against Japan's fastest track runner. Wink
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Why? Because Rose of Versailles recently told my arrogant self that shojo is just another word for a place one could find grad storytelling in.

Just watched episode 9 and all kinds of stuff has hit the fan in one big, shiny, epic explosion of awesome. With still 30 episodes to go, my expectations for this firework of entertainment are basically through the roof by now. I feel like typing in capitals, that's how awesome this thing is.

Utena is great stuff, I watched it last year and I have recently watched Penguindrum, from the same director and it's very similar style but more "modern" given it's a show from 2011 instead of 1997.

Shoujo manga is highly respected niche of manga. In fact, a Japanese philosopher in an interview with Miyazaki and other scholars that shoujo manga is the portrait of man's inner psychological self.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Just got done watching Pokémon the Movie: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction. Seeing Diancie's Mega form in action, as well as watching the demonstration of Xerneas and Yveltal's power of life and destruction, was truly breathtaking. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 827 of 1061