• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:51 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
^
The show had two seasons. The first had 13 x 24 minute episodes while the second had 26 x 12 minute episodes. Really, in the second season they just chopped the 24 minute episodes in half.

Oh, ok, that makes sense. I know almost everybody praise this anime without a doubt so I was already expecting anything to happen (well, except guitar ninjas, that I wasn't).

nbahn wrote:
justsomeaccount--
Check out this thread on Princess Tutu.

What do you mean, that I should see some of those posts, o that I can only post about this show in that specific thread?

Edit: Started Tatami Galaxy, watched one episode, made around five stops while I was watching, and ended the episode remembering nothing (because they speak so fast you cannot even process the phrases they are saying so you read the next one and you forgot the previous) and wanting to punch something. Most annoying pacing ever, ruined everything the rest of the apparently promising show had to offer. I'll try to see other when I feel prepared, but geez I'm annoyed now.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
What do you mean, that I should see some of those posts, o that I can only post about this show in that specific thread?

Oh, dear me, no; I did not mean to imply that at all! What I meant was that that I thought that you would find the posts to be of interest to you. That is all; nothing more, and certainly nothing less. I am sorry if I caused any consternation on your part.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
^ Oh no, it was just a question just in case it was some norm I didn't know or something. It's just that I'd rather not read anything from a spoiler-free thread, you know ^^
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:

Edit: Started Tatami Galaxy, watched one episode, made around five stops while I was watching, and ended the episode remembering nothing (because they speak so fast you cannot even process the phrases they are saying so you read the next one and you forgot the previous) and wanting to punch something. Most annoying pacing ever, ruined everything the rest of the apparently promising show had to offer. I'll try to see other when I feel prepared, but geez I'm annoyed now.

I had similar feelings about the first episode as well. I got about halfway through the episode before I decided to start it over. The subtitle speed took some getting used to (cue numerous rewinds on certain parts), but overall the series was a rewarding experience.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
I've finally marathoned the final 14 episodes of Eureka Seven AO and today I have watched the first 12 episodes of Clannad.

Let's start with a E7 AO breakdown.
First 5 episodes were very good.
The following 6-7 were skippable, to the point where I was playing with my phone through most of the episode.
Episodes 13 to 18 improved.
And the final 6ish were ok but couldn't save this series.

I'm not sure if my problem for this series was that E7 is one of my top two series and I had filled in the gaps and created an ideal after story in my head which this couldn't live up to.

Just a quick note that the soundtrack and imagery lived up to Bones cracking standards.

I feel the first few episodes were gritty and had a similar feel to the original, it kept me very interested and made me look forward to the type of show this was going to be, but the grit seemed to be squeezed out and the show seemed to sterilise itself. The they character development also became very weak, what the hell happened to spoiler[Naru, I had such high hopes for her but it seemed like they didn't really think about or explain her motives very clearly]. I didn't care for anyone other than AO... And that became limited. Some of the middle episodes did nothing but pad out the series to its 24 episode quota and after that the story seemed to jump around too much and became very difficult to follow with spoiler[time changes, and alternate universes]. There were points where I didn't know who had turned sides and what their motives were when they did so. They destroyed spoiler[Renton] for me by making him look like a d**k and made his spoiler[own son] show him up - I mean come on, how long has he been trying to change the world. I also feel that spoiler[Eureka and Renton] were made to look very selfish with their decision to rid the universe of spoiler[Scub Corral; they lost their first child (which was one of the biggest and moving shocks in this series) but we know they are not that selfish to risk destroying another world so that their own child can survive.]

To sum up I was extremely disappointed by this instalment in the series, I've decided that it didn't happen and try to look at it as an alternate rebelling of the story I made up in my head ha.

Now onto Clannad, I will touch on this lightly as I have the second half of the first series and all of After Story to watch but this has been the easiest show I have watched in a while. It didn't feel like I had watched 20 minutes of an episode let alone done this 12 times over. The arcs and story as a whole progress and a good pace, not too slow but not speeding through. The characters are believable and likeable. The first arc does leave the viewer to ask "how is that possible" a few times but it is easy to overlook as it's done so well; the same can be said in the beginning stages of the following arc.
I have been surprised at how funny this show can be as I was expecting a bit of a ball fest with constantly heavy scenes, which there have been and I've had to use a tissue or two, but I have found myself chuckling in every episode.

I very much look forward to continuing later on in the week as it has been such an enjoyable watch so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
I had similar feelings about the first episode as well. I got about halfway through the episode before I decided to start it over. The subtitle speed took some getting used to (cue numerous rewinds on certain parts), but overall the series was a rewarding experience.

The more episodes I watched of Tatami Galaxy the more I got used to it. I still hate the parts where the main character narrates/thinks with that monotone fast voice without ANY pauses, but now it doesn't ruin the show for me. The show though, I love the idea and themes but the execution is so weird it's hit or miss for me (Johnny is hilarious though) and I "guess" some scenes pretend to have some emotional punch but the pacing and directing of those make me feel "eh". I guess Yuasa as a director is not for me.

And well, first half of Princess Tutu finished and I liked it, and I'm excited knowing that the second half is the one that is so loved =D
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Today I finished watching Ai Yori Aoshi: Enishi. It was quite an enjoyable watch, as I got to see the characters' personalities become more apparent, particularly that of Chika. The Christmas special at the end looked alright, but I thought the story of it could've gone a bit further.
Overall, I had fun watching Season 2 of Ai Yori Aoshi. Smile
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm 8 episodes into Place to Place and enjoying it, though not quite as much as I thought I would. It's an interesting combination of rom-com and slice-of-life; however, it is also pretty predictable at times (especially when it recycles jokes from other shows). Still, I'd say it's above average so far. I just wish I had known there was a Blu-Ray version coming before buying the DVD.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Re-watching the show which has what may be my favorite Christmas to New Years series of episodes- Kamichu. Between the anti-Christmas Yurie-fest and Yurie doing absolutely nothing but sitting under her kotatsu for an entire episode I just drown in the innocent sweetness.

I really have to get my own copy of this again though, the fansubs are probably more technically correct but I've watched this just enough times before that it throws me off... and I have to say, when the ED song clearly sings the borrowed English words "Soda Ice Candy" is it really necessary to get hyper technical and transcribe it as "Soda flavored Popsicles"?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Today I finished watching Ai Yori Aoshi: Enishi. It was quite an enjoyable watch, as I got to see the characters' personalities become more apparent, particularly that of Chika. The Christmas special at the end looked alright, but I thought the story of it could've gone a bit further.
Overall, I had fun watching Season 2 of Ai Yori Aoshi. Smile

You should really read the rest of the manga that covers the rest of the story after the 2 seasons. It actually has a real conclusion. A very bittersweet one that will leave you sad the series is over, but a true ending none the less. No cliffhanger. And I won't say anything else and ruin it. I always felt Kaoru and Aoi were one of the most underrated romantic pairs in anime.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
^
Thanks, I'm reading the manga of Ai Yori Aoshi right now. Anime smile
I agree; I think Kaoru and Aoi are one of the most romantic pairs that I've seen over the years.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:43 am Reply with quote
I have finished Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works TV. Overall, it was disappointing. The pacing is too slow and everything seemed lifeless. For an action-oriented show, there was too little action and as a slice of life, it was no good at all. Showing character talk and being with each other does not make character interesting and complex, but it seemed that the director was under impression it does. Plenty of scenes could have been thrown away or shortened without any damage. Shiro and Rin were boring, partly because of this and partly because there was not enough good ideas what to do with them or they were not implemented. Shiro is so stupid that he makes it necessary for Rin to state the obvious. Additionally, this new Fate does not attract me with great music like DEEN version. I am done with this series.

Also I care very little about this cliffhanger form the last episode. Saber's role was reduced so much in this version that I don't know why I should care at all about her fate (no pun intended).
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Also I care very little about this cliffhanger form the last episode. Saber's role was reduced so much in this version that I don't know why I should care at all about her fate (no pun intended).

Saber's path was the Stay Night path (the first path), not the UBW path. The UBW path is about Rin, and her relationship with Shirou. The Heaven's Feel path is about Sakura... and her relationship with Shirou. (Yes, I'm simplifying things a bit, but not by much.)
rheiders

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
In the midst of watching something completely different (live-action for once haha), I accidentally ended up binge-watching the entire Evangelion franchise over the last four days. I'm not entirely sure how it happened but needless to say I've finally filled the gaping Eva-shaped hole in my anime viewing experience. I watched the series, then EoE, then the two Rebuild movies I hadn't already seen.

I feel like I understood the characters, especially Shinji, a lot more this time than I did when I tried to watch the series years ago. I'm pretty sure that doesn't say good things about my current psychological state, but it was really cathartic to see characters going through some of the same crap I've felt in the past few months especially (I've recently been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder accompanied by bouts of depression). It'll definitely stay in my mind for a long time after finishing it, but that doesn't even feel like it's worth saying considering it's stayed in the minds and hearts of so many people since it first aired nearly twenty years ago. It's a deeply flawed work and I don't agree with all of it, but there's just something about it, and I'm glad I can finally understand what people are talking about when they say they love it even more for its faults.

More specifically wrt to Rebuild...After watching Rebuild 3.0 for myself, I’m kind of confused as to why it was so hated when it came out. I thought it was excellent, a pretty brilliant commentary on the original series that also expanded on several aspects from the original that never really got the full exploration they deserved (I’m referring mainly, of course, to Kaworu). Definitely the best of the three Rebuild movies.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Aylinn wrote:

Saber's path was the Stay Night path (the first path), not the UBW path. The UBW path is about Rin, and her relationship with Shirou. The Heaven's Feel path is about Sakura... and her relationship with Shirou. (Yes, I'm simplifying things a bit, but not by much.)

I know it, but it doesn't help to make me care for Saber in this version of the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 832 of 1061