• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael's World

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:33 am Reply with quote
I'm currently watching Assassination Classroom, Fairy Tail, One Piece and Naruto: Shipudden. When the spring anime starts I'll be watching a ton more. Too many to list lol. Smile
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:09 am Reply with quote
Fluxjection--
Welcome to ANN! Cool Smile Very Happy
Yamstarch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
CROSS ANGE: Rondo of Angel and Dragon

Because... holy crap mechs and dragons and F'd up story premise. I've been watching a lot of ecchi/rom/coms lately and just wanted a bit of change.

Last edited by Yamstarch on Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Actually, the question is what am I NOT watching right now? Between Monday, March 23 and Monday, March 30, I said goodbye to 20 - count 'em - 20 shows from the Winter season (and some that had started in the Fall '14).

So now I'm in that brief lull between the end of one season and the beginning of another. It'll feel good to be swamped again.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:22 am Reply with quote
Hmmmm, have not been here for some 3/4 months?
Life got in the way and anime was not really a priority. I am finishing Parasyte the Maxim, really enjoying it. Shame I missed all the discussions on the forum when it was ongoing, but that could not be helped I guess.
My partner is not obsessed with Fairy Tale and while I do not follow it, I sometimes an episode or two when he is.

What else... oh yeah, I am more than halfway through Moribito. I remember this kept on turning up in most tournaments at one point or another, and I was really looking forward to seeing it, and finally an opportunity came. Again, really liking it, the art is beautiful.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:16 am Reply with quote
Recently watched My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU (jeebus, who came up with this?) or Oregairu for short, because of positive comments here and there and because the second season is starting. Came out surprised about how good it was overall. I thought it was much more insightful in the teenage psyche and behaviour than shows/LNs like these usually are.
I didn't like the first episode much, because the dialogues gave me somewhat Monogatariesque vibes (i.e., they bored me to tears), probably why I didn't pick it up when it aired. However it got better with each episode and really hit the stride for me starting from the 5th episode. The last episode was a bit misplaced though, the season should've ended with the culture festival.
They managed to make the MC even with his slightly misanthropic attitude quite likable and it was fun to watch him play off against the other characters (except Totsuka). Hoping for a Yui end... which won't happen.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching the infamous Tekken: The Motion Picture. I know nothing about these games other than Heihachi from the PS2 version of Soul Calibur 2 was from this franchise so I figured I may as well enjoy 90s martial arts cheese and what I got....

-random plot lines that go nowhere ("Heihachi slaughtered my whole village so I'm going to be beaten by his son!" "you're my rival and sister so lets fight until a dinosaur eats you!" "I am a cyborg and must protect this child I barely know!")
-poor action scenes
-bad plot planing ("race to that side of the island and beat each other up, last one standing gets my billion dollar company!")
-weird introductions ("I will say hello to this woman by trying to punch her and then get thrown in an odd manner!")
-washed out music
-pathetic execution of an awesome idea (camou t-rexes are a great idea! why the hell do they look like allosaurs or tarbosaurs with poor anatomy mixing?)
-a really dumb ending ("spoiler[the mains die!......... except they don't!]")
-and to top it all off SOUND EFFECTS ARE MISSING! FOR REAL! (no punch and kick impact noises, no splashes, no spinning screeches from rotating blades, no fire crackling, and the stuff they do have is beyond stock and unfitting)

1/10 because even by schlocky anime standards this was poorly constructed. Congratulations , Tekken, you are the fourth anime I ever gave this award to!
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Finished watching Someday's Dreamers 2, I am a bit of a "completist" that likes finishing series even if I didn't enjoy it. I didn't enjoy Someday's Dreamers, it's really bland, really bland. Feels almost as arid as a Kiarostami film. I liked the use of photographs for backgrounds and the extremely minimalism of character design but still clearly manga style.

I am beginning to watch Natsume Book of friends, specially considering it was one of the top 10 series for that Sugoi Japan prize of anime of the decade.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:
It also reminds me of that series about a 27 year old man who falls in love with his 15 year old sister. Forgot it's name.

Perhaps you were thinking of Koi Kaze?

Yes. That one is a classic.

[Edit]: joined consecutive posts. Errinundra.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:09 am Reply with quote
Just finished Corpse Princess. Nothing amazing, but it was still pretty enjoyable. Gainax animation quality can be inconsistant, but every once in a while they throw in a beautifully animated action scene. The ending was abrupt, but it managed to be a satisfying conclusion to some character arcs.

Now I'm watching A Certain Magical Index. I'm only a few episodes in, but it already is throwing the excessive terminology and exposition that seems to be typical of light novel adaptations. Index is adorable though. I also know it has been harped on when Funimation first released it, but the decision to translate "onee-sama" to "sissy" is baffling. It's so cringe worthy. I had thought that was only going to be in the dub, but it's in the subs as well.
Yamstarch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:21 am Reply with quote
Back to Naruto now while the new Spring shows are airing. Gives me time to catch up between episodes. Because I promised a couple of friends who are in Shippuden I would catch up.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Besides the new spring shows, I am also watching Twin Spica, which is one of the few shows from the early-to-mid 2000s era to never be licensed by a North American company - thereby causing it to be overlooked by most of the English-speaking fandom. I'm two episodes in and finding it to be quite good.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Besides the new spring shows, I am also watching Twin Spica, which is one of the few shows from the early-to-mid 2000s era to never be licensed by a North American company - thereby causing it to be overlooked by most of the English-speaking fandom. I'm two episodes in and finding it to be quite good.

If you like the anime, get the manga. It goes further and it's one of the best series I have ever read ever. The physical release is woefully OOP but Vertical have released it in ebook form.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
^
I don't read manga so that's unfortunately a no-go for me.

But I just watched episode five and oh boy, the feels got me big time. I actually teared up when spoiler[her mother finally realised her identity and then begged her to live.] It was predictable as anything but the blow still landed and it landed hard. For me to be that emotionally moved by any fictional story is an extremely rare event indeed; I can't remember the last time it even happened. So full credit to Twin Spica for such superb direction and writing; bravo. Wonderful episodes like that one are what makes slogging through all the bad shows worth it.

Well, onto episode six.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Just moments earlier I watched Early Reins. The OVA show occurs in the era of the Old West, in which crime was highly rampant. When a train has been hijacked by a group of bandits, six girls from different worlds band together to restore order.

I found Early Reins to be quite a fun and, perhaps, amusing watch. On top of that, I think it stands out from most Western-themed shows in which the characters show there bravery against the bad guys while maintaining their cute, beautiful appearances. Smile
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:31 am Reply with quote
Started watching Fate Stay Night.

I know there are threads about where to start etc etc. I do not have that much time to go through them, so went with the 2006 series first, and then I will move onto what is on Crunchyroll. We shall see if it will mae any sense or whatsoever. I have seen 4 episodes so far and really liking it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 844 of 1061