• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Things I watched this week include:

-Magica Wars, it turned out to be okay, it would have been a lot better if the pacing didn't slow down from ep 7 onward and if the episodes were longer.

-Capricorn, a one shot OVA featuring dragons and battle ships in a fantasy alien world and I really enjoyed it, pretty good.

-The Dark Myth, a two part OVA that is one of the lowest rated anime on MAL. I don't see why, it was very rich in mythology and had a nice psychological tone to it, I dare say it was great! It had potential to be one of the best anime of it's time, but man the slow pacing brought it down.

-Triage X, because it looked actiony.... And I got action! And good pacing! And the music isn't bad! The cast is uninteresting and there is too much unnecessary fan service, but other than that this is shaping up to be quite well.

Last edited by DuelGundam2099 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
Today, I spent a barren hour watching Aquarian Age: The Movie. In this show, four representatives of their respective underground organizations are contacted by a mysterious boy to fight against warriors that have resurrected from the dead with their hidden powers.'

I found AATM to be slightly above average. The supernatural battles were amazing, but there was little time to learn about the characters' personalities and backgrounds.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:37 am Reply with quote
Dropped Xam'd: Lost Memories after six uncomfortably confusing episodes.

It's clear that BONES put a lot of effort into making this show. The backgrounds are detailed, the scenery is full of life, the music has a grand feel to it, and the attention to detail on buildings and machines is impressive. The level of animation in some of the early action sequences boggles the mind. If only as much care and effort went into everything else.

First off, the plot is a mess. While it's not unusual for a story to keep its cards close to its chest, too much about these episodes is confusing, which made it a huge effort to care about anything when I didn't know even the basics of what was going on. Nothing gets explained to the fish-out-of-water main character and therefore nothing gets explained to us either. Keeping important details from the viewer is one thing, but being deliberately obtuse about everything - to the point where the viewer gets tired of floundering in the dark and just switches off - is not smart. And worse, unlike in some previous BONES works, the writing here gives no assurance that everything will make sense with time. Peeks at reviews of the end of the show confirms this suspicion.

The other fundamental issue is with the characters, who would normally be expected to carry a show if the plot fails to fire. A few of them act normal and/or reasonable, as a normal person would given their particular circumstances. However, most of the cast act bizarrely, with unprovoked mean-spiritedness, out-of-place incompetence/stupidity and just baffling viewpoints being common afflictions. Characters act so little like actual people that at times suspension of disbelief is impossible and all I can see is these weird artificial constructs, like someone's warped facsimile of a human. With this in mind, I'd say at least two-thirds of the cast were completely lost on me, and anytime they were on screen the only thing I wanted was for them to get off it.

So yeah, another disappointing BONES original work. They seemed determined to ape some of their more popular works, thinking that this would automatically bring them success. The most fun I had whilst watching Xam'd is spotting all the similarities to Eureka Seven. That's a pretty damning indictment.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
So, I saw the first two episodes of Death Note. To say they are very very good would be an understatement. This show may in fact have one of the best first episodes I've ever seen. Definitely a good start~!

Now let's discuss Light Yagami.

By the end of the first episode, our main character has killed God knows how many people with the power of the Death Note. When Ryuk confronts him, it's revealed that Light honestly thinks he's done a good thing. He only wants a world full of peaceful people, and he will rule over them as a benevolent god. Even Ryuk points out that what's he done is insane. What Light did was wrong, but he insists he's a fine, upstanding member of the community. Hell, in the next episode, when L calls Kira evil, Light flips out at the thought that he could be a villain!

I really like bad guys who think they're good guys. It makes them very interesting to analyze, and I think it adds a layer of realism. Light has no problem with killing people because his mindset is: "They deserved to die, so if I kill them, that makes me good." So far, Light has made my list of best villains.

I also saw Grave of the Fireflies and My Neighbor Totoro back-to-back about a week ago. They are both wonderful films. Grave, to me, was about the loss of innocence. All throughout the film, Seita tries so hard to keep Setsuko happy and care-free in the face of war. He steers her away from a dead body, lies to her about their mother's whereabouts, and rather than get a job to support her and himself, prefers to take her out on trips to the beach. It all backfires, as Setsuko reveals that she knew since their stay at their aunt's house that their mother passed on. All she truly wanted was to be with her big brother.

In contrast, Totoro acts as a metaphor for childhood itself. The girls find wonder and mystery in the smallest things, such as a garden of oak saplings, or a house waiting to become a home. At the same time, the film itself can be pretty scary for a small child. Mei runs into a goat while on the way to visit her mother, and from her perspective, it's really freaking huge. (I should mention that Mei is actually pretty badass for a four year old.) I'd show most families this movie, since it seems to really get how little kids function.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I decided to watch Bamboo Blade for the third time because a question about disc problems in another thread got me thinking about it.
I am glad that I watched it again because I enjoyed it just as much as I had previously. This is definitely one of those shows that makes me feel good.

I would call Bamboo Blade a sports show, but it is more about friendship and family than it is about kendo. Still, I learned a lot about kendo from watching it.
And kendo was not just an excuse for the characters to get together and have fun. The competitions, and even practices, were important to the story and to character development.

It was a very enjoyable show for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:24 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Dropped Xam'd: Lost Memories after six uncomfortably confusing episodes.

Too bad you dropped it. I can see what you're talking about regarding it being like Eureka Seven. However, it *does* go off in its own direction after a while. I liked it, but thought it was a rushed at the end. I wouldn't say it's the greatest thing I've ever seen, but it wasn't a bad series.

I think you should stick with it, myself, but it's your time, so of course you can use it as you see fit.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching Ranma 1/2 right now. I think it's... okay. There are some things that I really like and some things that I hate. Its humor CAN be funny, but its main humor (Akane is a jerk to Ranma) infuriates me. I can tell this was written by the same people who made Inuyasha because it's very similar to Kagome and Inuyasha's relationship.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I watched the two OVA's of Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko, it's pretty bland science fiction anime with girls piloting starships. Also the director was Shimbo, who directed PMMM and Bakemonogatari, but in this early work of his, there is nothing very special going on. Still I found it reasonably entertaining specially the second OVA.

Besides I am watching right now Log Horizon, I began watching it last year but I gave up about a year ago and now I am continuing to watch it, I guess I cannot leave stuff unfinished. That is, if it's under 26 episodes at least, I gave up on watching Cross Game recently as well because it's just too long and I found it not very engaging, 50 episode long series are just too long for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:30 am Reply with quote
I personally stuck with Xam'd until episode 22 and dropped it. I almost never drop that close to the end of a series, but I don't regret it for a moment. I never saw Eureka Seven though. I still like Xam'd's OP, probably the best part of the show imo.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I personally stuck with Xam'd until episode 22 and dropped it. I almost never drop that close to the end of a series, but I don't regret it for a moment. I never saw Eureka Seven though. I still like Xam'd's OP, probably the best part of the show imo.

IMO, Zam'd had the potential of being a much better show than it actually turned out to be. Kinda sad, really. And I'd recommend watching Eureka 7, though you'll have to deal with those damned kids. :/
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:52 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I'm watching Ranma 1/2 right now. I think it's... okay. There are some things that I really like and some things that I hate. Its humor CAN be funny, but its main humor (Akane is a jerk to Ranma) infuriates me. I can tell this was written by the same people who made Inuyasha because it's very similar to Kagome and Inuyasha's relationship.

I feel that Kagome and Inuyasha's relationship is miles above Ranma and Akane's.......mostly because Kagome isn't an irrational, violent b*tch.... and actually accepts that she loves her partner rather early in the series but to each their own.

.......yeah, I couldn't finish Ranma 1/2 because of Akane. She's so annoying. Literally every single new love interest who comes along seems like a better option for Ranma....but of course he has to be bound to the Masochistic Tango trope. Poor boy.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:26 am Reply with quote
This morning I finished watching Koi Kaze. I found it to be a compelling show that did well showcasing the hardship of falling in love with someone who happens to be a blood relative; in this case, a sister. Plus, I enjoyed those ending quickies that highlighted the focal point of every episode in a humorous manner.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Finished watching the first season of No Game no Life. Excellent series, compact plot into its 12 episodes which I find to be ideal for me, large enough to allow for a complex plot, small enough to be watched in a few days. This show was excellent, one of 2014 best, which appears to have been the best year of all time for animation fans. The characters were fun, the games too, my only complain was that it started to become repetitive in regard to Sora/shiro mastermind style: every single challenge they face was already won before it started.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Just dived into Owari No Seraph because of a .gif set on tumblr.

Oh my.....

HELLO, BISHI-LICIOUS, BLOOD-SOAKED DRAMA <3 Looks like I just found my favorite summer series.....

Jose Cruz wrote:
Finished watching the first season of No Game no Life. Excellent series, compact plot into its 12 episodes which I find to be ideal for me, large enough to allow for a complex plot, small enough to be watched in a few days. This show was excellent, one of 2014 best.

Yes. We need a second season, pronto.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

I feel that Kagome and Inuyasha's relationship is miles above Ranma and Akane's.......mostly because Kagome isn't an irrational, violent b*tch.... and actually accepts that she loves her partner rather early in the series but to each their own.

.......yeah, I couldn't finish Ranma 1/2 because of Akane. She's so annoying. Literally every single new love interest who comes along seems like a better option for Ranma....but of course he has to be bound to the Masochistic Tango trope. Poor boy.

Instead of debating with you over Inuyasha and Kagome, I'll instead agree with you about Akane.

The worst part about it is that I like Ranma. He's a nice guy and a fun character. The show can be funny, but it's like every time I'm starting to like it, Akane shows up to remind me why I took so long to watch it. I think I'll keep watching until the end of the first season and decide from there if I like it.

On that note, the dub is certainly passable for something made by Ocean in the 1990's. Better than I thought it'd sound.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 847 of 1061