• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
^

I completely agree. Clannad's "problem," and I use the word problem very loosely, is that it makes you feel sorry for characters rather than like them. If that was its goal, it does a spectacular job. Don't get me wrong, it's escapist entertainment, but I love it for that. Well, I love After Story for that. The first season of Clannad is honestly worthless to me, with the exception of its technical aspects. (I can't stand watching the Dango Daikazoku without smiling like a maniac)
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I'll level with you, Dtm42. Chiibi's definition is far too general for me to agree with him. It's almost like he wants to hate Clannad.

I'm a GIRL, DAMMIT. Twisted Evil

I could never hate Clannad. It's a Key work. Key works are adorable. Gao gao. Uguu. Wafu. :p

Quote:
I'm intrigued. How is that you can correctly identify the key traits of manipulative shows, but then not be able to recognise how nakedly manipulative After Story and its ilk are?

I haven't seen After Story yet.

It just bugs me when people call emotional anime "manipulative". AnoHana and Air get that flak all the time and they're in my top ten shows.

Quote:
it makes you feel sorry for characters rather than like them.

A story cannot successfully make you feel sorry for characters UNLESS you like them. A truly manipulative piece would only put all the effort into being sad, not writing, not story, or character depth, or anything else.

And for others who don't understand, maybe I can write up an example between "genuinely sad story" and "manipulative mess that tries too hard to be sad."

Let me think about it for a bit.....
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
It just bugs me when people call emotional anime "manipulative". AnoHana and Air get that flak all the time and they're in my top ten shows.

Then you will have seen Ano Hana's ending, which was so ludicrously over-the-top that rather than being emotionally moving it was actually funny instead. Well, funny and disappointing, since the series had been pretty well-written for most of its run and deserved a better ending than the one it got.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Mari Okada just doesn't understand humans and how they express emotions.

Chiibi wrote:
A story cannot successfully make you feel sorry for characters UNLESS you like them.

Now this is where you are flat-out unambiguously wrong. It is very easy to pity someone without liking them, because pity is an empathic response and it isn't tied to how much you specifically know about a person.

For a topical real-world example, nobody "likes" the boat people in Europe and South-East Asia, because we don't even know them. But we do feel sorry for them that they are fleeing war and religious persecution, and we do feel compassion for them when they drown.

Chiibi wrote:
A truly manipulative piece would only put all the effort into being sad, not writing, not story, or character depth, or anything else.

Again; I am impressed that you know the definition of what makes a story manipulative and yet you don't actually apply that definition to the shows you watch. That takes talent.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:36 am Reply with quote
^

I disagree with you on Anohana. I put it above Clannad After Story despite loving both, though Clannad After Story is more of a Guilty Pleasure for me. Anohana was a beautifully written story, and while emotions were a big part of it, you could take them out and still have a story worth talking about.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:50 am Reply with quote
I also liked Ano Hana; I rated it as 8/10, or about a B+. It's just that I would have liked it even more if the ending hadn't been so overwrought and hysterical.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:57 am Reply with quote
Eh... I can see the argument, but I don't really think that the extreme emotions ruined or even diminished the show for me. I loved it as is. Whether you consider it "narm" or "narm charm" is up to you, but I'm going with the latter.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Then you will have seen Ano Hana's ending, which was so ludicrously over-the-top that rather than being emotionally moving it was actually funny instead.

No.

I was crying because I was moved. My friend was crying also because she was moved. We've watched it together several times and cried each time. I went and saw the movie that showed the ending again and the whole effing theater was crying.

Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again; Mari Okada just doesn't understand humans and how they express emotions.

Oh yes, she does. She's very good at it. I'm a big fan of her work. As long as she leaves ecchi out of it because those ecchi moments are just dumb.

Quote:
Now this is where you are flat-out unambiguously wrong. It is very easy to pity someone without liking them, because pity is an empathic response and it isn't tied to how much you specifically know about a person.

For a topical real-world example, nobody "likes" the boat people in Europe and South-East Asia, because we don't even know them. But we do feel sorry for them that they are fleeing war and religious persecution, and we do feel compassion for them when they drown.

To an extent. But the way louis is talking about After Story, it would have to do a little more than just make you pity the characters for five minutes and then forget that you even heard of their misfortune.

Which is normally how people react when they hear tragedy on the news like you speak of.

"Oh, someone got shot. That's a shame."

Then they move on with their lives.

When I had to spoiler[watch Misuzu die] in the Air movie the first time, I was depressed for three days.

Why? Because I loved her and felt almost like I knew her as a real little girl. Because her creators did a really good job in making me like her.

I loved and felt like I knew Menma and her friends too...but I wasn't as depressed because the show went out on a much more positive note, with smiles all around.

Quote:
Again; I am impressed that you know the definition of what makes a story manipulative and yet you don't actually apply that definition to the shows you watch. That takes talent.

The shows I watch are NOT like that. Just because YOU think they are, doesn't make you right. We have different interpretations of what the show's intentions were, clearly.

And you need to accept that and abandon that self-righteous, arrogant attitude of yours, dtm. You might make more friends that way? I know it's nothing personal against me; you act like this with EVERYONE who doesn't see things your way.

Last edited by Chiibi on Wed May 20, 2015 12:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
Touma

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:56 am Reply with quote
^@Chibi
You might want to warn people that your spoiler is about the Air movie.Smile

I have not seen the movie,yet, but I did have a similar reaction to the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote
Fixed.

........oh God, I swear to you; it is so much worse.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
I'll level with you, Dtm42. Chiibi's definition is far too general for me to agree with him. It's almost like he wants to hate Clannad.

I'm a GIRL, DAMMIT. Twisted Evil

I could never hate Clannad. It's a Key work. Key works are adorable. Gao gao. Uguu. Wafu. :p

Isn't cao cao from Yurikuma Arashi?

Quote:
Quote:
I'm intrigued. How is that you can correctly identify the key traits of manipulative shows, but then not be able to recognise how nakedly manipulative After Story and its ilk are?

I haven't seen After Story yet.

I believe that the distinction between manipulative or genuinely emotional is subjective. If you identify with the drama its emotional if you don't its "manipulative". Clannad After Story is extremely emotional and very straightforward in its approach, some people say its manipulative and its very easy to see it is very explicit and easy to understand. I loved it and I understand why people might call it manipulative.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi, wrote:
And you need to accept that and abandon that self-righteous, arrogant attitude of yours, dtm. You might make more friends that way? I know it's nothing personal against me; you act like this with EVERYONE who doesn't see things your way.

Awww. Are you saying that you would be my friend if I was nicer?

That's so sweet of you.

Jose Cruz wrote:

Does this look like Yurikuma Arashi to you?

You're using the wrong letter of the alphabet. Gao, not cao.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:

It's Gao gao Anime hyper With a "G". Misuzu says "gao" because she likes dinosaurs. It's the Japanese onomatopoeia for a dinosaur roaring.

.............dtm earns 10 points for posting that link. Anime hyper
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Watching Your Lie in April, and now I understand how Hope Chapman feels about Steins;Gate. A lot of the things in Your Lie in April are fantastic, but.. like how hope can't stand the harem themes of Steins;Gate, the comedy in Your Lie in April is painful for me. It's typical "girls abuse the main character for no/a stupid reason and the show treats it as funny." The worst part is that one of the major plot points is that the main character was emotionally and physically abused by his mother.

The slapstick crap simply doesn't belong here, but if they removed it, I wouldn't mind. This isn't like Clannad's humor, where if you don't find it funny, you'll just shrug it off and keep watching. They ruin emotional, thought-provoking scenes and moments by having one of the main character's friends show up and hit him or something. This is less reminding me of how I disliked Clannad's humor 6/10 times, and more reminding me of how I detested Eureka's children in Eureka 7. Except where as Eureka's children were there some of the time, the stupid humor of this show comes up once every four minutes at least

Despite this, the show itself is great when its taking itself seriously. I just wish I didn't have to constantly flinch at the thought of a "funny moment" on the horizon every second I'm watching it.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:

It's Gao gao Anime hyper With a "G". Misuzu says "gao" because she likes dinosaurs. It's the Japanese onomatopoeia for a dinosaur roaring.

.............dtm earns 10 points for posting that link. Anime hyper

I see. Not watched Air though I am curious now.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
I see. Not watched Air though I am curious now.

I'm not sure if you'll regret it, but I sure did (I saw the series). A very emotionally manipulative show. But some people enjoy that sort of thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 852 of 1061