• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:00 am Reply with quote
Eh, maybe it's just the subs that made me sleepy. I think if this show had a dub, complete with accents and modern day voice actors, I'd have been awake throughout. The subs on the DVD were a little hard to read at times, so it felt like work.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:15 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Those subplots at the palace were actually really necessary, as they set the foundation for people turning on the royalty. In fact, I think that's perhaps what many fans don't realise; the fireworks of the show's second half are built upon the deliberate and patient buildup of the first half.

I'd agree here. While all the gambling and plotting and necklace hubbub is going on, people are out of work and can't get enough food to eat. The aristocracy and the royal family is supposed to be doing something about all that, and they're so caught up in their intrigues and wealth that don't even see what's beginning to happen outside the gates.

As for me, I'm watching:

Monster. This is the kind of show that made me an anime fan...a long, serious novel for television. I'm a bit past the halfway point now, and am really enjoying the character of Grimmer. Love the artwork; you can really see how Urasawa must have studied the faces of people from the countries he's writing about.

Kyoukai no Rinne. My comfort food show; nothing deep or earthshaking here, but it's silly as can be, and I can be pretty sure it'll make me smile every week.

Log Horizon. It's pulled me in slowly but surely, and as the first season nears the end, I'm just all-around impressed with the job of world-building it's done, and there's also a lot of engaging characters.

Naruto. Sheer inertia. It's all that carries me through the filler, though I enjoy the story when they bother to include some of it. Producers: you've got the Bolt manga and movie both out now; just wrap up the Shippuden story without a foot on each pedal for once, and move on to the new cast Kishimoto was kind enough to leave for you. It's clear that's where things are headed.

Dragon Ball Super. Enjoying it for what it is so far: a remake of the BotG movie, though I'm looking forward to a hopefully better version of the Resurrection F material afterward, followed by stuff we haven't seen already.

One Piece. Despite the show moving like molasses, I am quite invested in the current arc.

Sailor Moon Crystal. After the genuinely awful Queen Beryl arc, I'm surprised to find the Dark Moon stuff...actually watchable.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:42 am Reply with quote
I finally made it half way through Infinite Ryvius! Hmm, lets see if they bothered- Oh wow, they made the shift from boring to insulting (just like Valvrave!). spoiler[Episode 11 doesn't bother bringing up the guy that was likely murdered last episode and instead they decide to do a party with a beauty contest *insert eyeroll here* because they needed to change up what is obviously filler until it ends with a news broadcast stating they are terrorists for- Oh you can't be serious. Episode 12 goes further with this, apparently the idiots running the communications on Mars failed to pick up any SOS beacons (HOW!?) and opened fired despite actively knowing there was nearly 500 kids as hostages aboard (the terrorists were taken care of, but that is beside the point) and apparently Vital Guarder's force field attack did only break some mines and a few ships, but SOMEHOW TITLED THE AXIS OF MARS WITHOUT EVEN SHOWING IT! They really explained something pivotal about the event and we never even saw it during said even!? Did the staff run out of budget!? The rest of that episode is filler. Next one they apparently, OFF SCREEN I MAY ADD, decided to add a currency system to their survival situa- This is really stupid. Also, random thugs steal a zwei member's clothes for no reason, nobody helps said guy out, another zwei member gets thrown out of his own room for reasons the room raiders won't explain (don't they have their own?). Why is nobody beating the tar out of these kids? Legally these people have every right to act in self defense even through lethal efforts: If your life or that of another is at stake there is only the threat to your survival, not age nor handicap nor numbers nor race nor creed nor species (I do count idiot pet owners that don't leash their dogs any time they walk them because my neighborhood has too many of those people), there is only living. Also, pig tails girl complains she got her first kiss because she didn't get a buzz because apparently romance should be like alco- That is so cringe inducing. Plus they are trying a love triangle shenanigan situation with not-Shinji (his name was Kouji apparently), Aobi (I remember her name because they say it more that twice), and a brown hair girl he rescued in episode 2. Oh joy, misunderstanding nonsense is coming. Side note: What happened to those terrorists tied in a closet back in episode four? If they starve that is murder.]

Will things get good? Will idiots by violently punished for their stupidity? Will anything be explained about the titular ship? Will they reduce the cast size so I can figure out names of people other than Kouji, Aobi, and Charlie? Will Vital Guarder accomplish things that are shown to the audience instead of just being mentioned in a report? Will there be intelligence in this writing? These are all good questions, but unfortunately....

DROPPED
RR
O-O
P--P
P---P
E----E
D-----D

And 1/10

Valvrave I could at least finish, as disgustingly awful as it was, as poor as the execution was, as the only anime where the negatives vastly outweigh the positives, that at least I could finish. This? This doesn't even have positives beyond pretty looking backgrounds which even then we barely get. This garbage actually won an animation award? In 1999!? The same year we got classics including: Dai-Guard, Big O, Zoids, Betterman, Dangaizer 3, Blue Gender, Cybuster, Street Fighter Zero, Turn A Gundam, Angel Links, and 1001 Nights aka what I consider the best anime I have ever seen (which the main site does not list for some reason)? I mean we also got garbage like Excel Saga, Great Teacher Onizuka, the Utena movie, Risky/Safety Theater, the first cardcaptor Sakura movie, and Cool Couple, but still. Hell, even those had SOMETHING in their positives going for them.

I might continue this schlock in its second half later down the line since nothing I drop remains dropped thus far.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Monster. This is the kind of show that made me an anime fan...a long, serious novel for television. I'm a bit past the halfway point now, and am really enjoying the character of Grimmer. Love the artwork; you can really see how Urasawa must have studied the faces of people from the countries he's writing about.

I am reading the manga. I watched the series before but I am finding the manga to be far superior, I don't know why but I guess it's because it flows better and more naturally in the manga (it's a novel as you said, maybe it works better in book format, for me at least).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
In an attempt to recover my mind from the heinousness described above I decided to go backlog cutting happy by taking on a few anime in my backlog and a short title. All these are judged strictly by their first episodes.

-M3: The Dark Metal/Black Steel: Because I am a big Shoji Kawamori fan and I wanted to see this, plus Wikipedia has no mecha info because whatever. Anyway, something called Necrometal infects a city with a long name or its outskirts or something (nice lack of world building off the bat) which turns humans into monsters. Aside from obnoxious breast bouncing from what I am assuming is a goth girl I really have nothing to complain about so far and since this is from good old Kawamori I have expectations, this did come out shortly after Nobunaga The Fool aired after all.

-Freezing: Vibration: The sequel to an anime that while loaded with ecchi that did have other elements like action, kaiju, music, and a solid main couple going for it. I would have seen this while it was airing, but I waited for Funi to dub it because that is how I watched the first series, plus as much as a loath ecchi I loath censorship nonsense even more. This first episode? Not going to lie, it starts off perfectly fine, probably even solid. I can't say much about the music until I watch the second episode because for some reason anime these days insists on not having the opening and ending themes play at the beginning and end anymore at the first episode. I don't care if the first episode is meant to be a prologue, that is just sucky.

-When They Cry Kai: This has to be one of the most boring first episodes of any anime ever. I have seen legitimately solid titles start out like this, but considering this is a sequel to a horrible series I'm not holding my breath. Basically it looks like everything is being blamed on an alien disease the locals think is a demon.

-Rec: (for the record this is the short title not in my backlog I mentioned above) This one caught my interest because TV anime are rarely nine episodes in length or only half the running time, let alone both. The total run time would technically make this series shorter than Papilon Rose. Well it looks low budget and it makes references to someone named Audrey Heartbun or something as well as an old 40s movie called Roman Holiday (Family Guy and Unicorn Gundam reference this, how popular is this?). Not much else to say except it ends with sex. Laughing "But Duel wouldn't that be a spoiler?" In a first episode? You mean where you're supposed to get the gist of what you're in for and what sets the foundation of the plot? Really? Especially from a series that aired back in 2006 or so? Second episodes and onward I can understand, but if you can't talk about what happens in the very first episode you can't really discuss it now can you?

-Planetes: You know that Watched/Expected/Got meme? Here I expected a serious space drama about earth orbiting with tension.... and instead I got Office Space. Shocked From the same guy that did Code Geass, Guilty Crown, some non-canon 08th MS Team novel, and Valvrave!.... Did not expect this to be a comedy I have to admit. As for the anime itself, the cast seems unlikeable and character design wise it looks like something out of King Gainer, Eureka Seven, RahXephon, or Gundam Reconguista in G (and I didn't even need to call it G-Reco!).

One thing all these have in common? I can tolerate the music.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:59 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099--

You forgot to include the below .gif in your previous posting:
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:04 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:

I agree. Monster is definitely top 10 favorite material in my book. Damn Viz won't release the dub on DVD, so I actually went out of my way to buy it on Amazon Instant Video. I hope that more of Urasawa's manga will be adapted in the future. That would make my day.

Also, The Garden of Sinners is finally being rereleased. If it has a dub this time, I'll definitely be rewatching that. If not... eh. -.-
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:44 am Reply with quote
Just watched Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F. Yeah, I did say I wouldn't, but I eventually decided that if I was going to slag the movie I should do so having actually seen it.

It was even worse than I had imagined. No tension at all and completely unbelievable. It comes across as bad fan fiction. Toriyama has lost his way.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:12 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Just watched Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F. Yeah, I did say I wouldn't, but I eventually decided that if I was going to slag the movie I should do so having actually seen it.

It was even worse than I had imagined. No tension at all and completely unbelievable. It comes across as bad fan fiction. Toriyama has lost his way.

Agreed, it makes no sense that Frieza could become stronger than Majin Buu just because he trained a little. I mean... that would be absurd. Judging from the way Trunks wtfpwnt him and Trunks was no match for the androids who couldn't beat Cell's first form, it's just dumb.

Another thing that doesn't make sense is the power levels in general. Okay, so Frieza's grunts were laughing at the Namekian villagers for having power levels of a mere 1,000 each. This implies that the average soldier is far stronger than that. Goku's power level at the start of DBZ was 416 without weighted clothing. At the end of DB, he's far stronger than King Piccolo who Master Roshi stood no chance against, putting even Max Power Master Roshi in the low 200s at best. This means that Roshi being able to defeat Frieza's soldiers by the dozens is already betraying logic in favor of fanservice.

Still, the thing that irks me the most isn't Frieza KOing SSJ Gohan in his first form or having some mega ultra super form that basically looks like his non-canon brother, Cooler. No. It's the fact that one of Frieza's stronger soldiers was enough to give Piccolo trouble. Let me get this straight:

Piccolo (Buu Saga)>>Piccolo (After training in the Time Chamber)>>Piccolo (Just merged with Kami)=Android 17>=Android 18>>Future Androids 17+18>SSJ Trunks>>Frieza 100%

Basically, Frieza had a subordinate in his empire who vastly surpassed his own strength if he was able to match Piccolo for even a brief instant. I'm pretty sure that the Ginyu Force was supposed to be Frieza's best.

Yeah, this was way weaker than Battle of the Gods. There wasn't enough comedy. I was a little happy seeing Tien fight again, plus I admittedly giggled when Tien said that he left Chiaotzu AND Yamcha at home, as though the two were equally worthless.

Another plot hole. "We were going to use our second wish to bring back King Cold." Bro, you could bring back multiple people with one wish. Just wish back Frieza and his father. Done deal.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:48 am Reply with quote
I'm not a Dragon Ball fan anymore, but even when you don't like it it's kind of pointless to look for plotholes or things like that, the original show is already full of those and things that make no sense and constantly screwing itself (hell, the same author admits he forgets a lot of things and there are other authors who get better the DB spirit than him at this point and age). The show is already demanding a strong suspension of disbelief because its only concern is to have brainless fun and that's about it. Same with the movies.

Now, if the movie itself isn't fun or entertaining, then yes, go all for it. I'm not even bothering to see them, my DB flame is gone and the most I can do is re-read the manga (because it's very well drawn and quick-paced and compressed, not needlessly stretched).
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:14 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
You forgot to include the below .gif in your previous posting:

I don't know what anime that is from, I can't tell if green haired guy is Dr. West from Demonbane or N from the gen 5 Pokemon games.

Kind of a side note, but I guess this means first episode spoilers are okay. Laughing
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:24 am Reply with quote
^
The .gif is from Amnesia, a show so epically bad that if you watch it you'll pray for God to give you actual amnesia so you don't have to remember how awful it is.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:14 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Another thing that doesn't make sense is the power levels in general.

Comparing power levels? That way lies madness, but still, I agree 100%.

Having seen enough of what the Z fighters are supposed to be capable of, it seemed ridiculous for anyone except Piccolo, the Sayan kids to go fight Freeza's minions in the first place, and then ridiculous for them to have any trouble with them.

I did enjoy BotG quite a lot, and am enjoying its DBSuper remake right now. In the likely event that they remake Resurrection F after the current story runs its course, I really hope they do a better job with it the second time around.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Say what you will about Shounen anime, but most good ones at least have consistent power levels. Dragonball is one of those. I don't believe for a second that Frieza's minion, who I believe was stated to be on level with Zarbon and Dodoria, gave Piccolo any trouble. Even if we ignore Buu Saga being far later, thus Piccolo being far stronger...

Zarbon couldn't defeat Vegeta when his power level was 30,000+, implying that his own is around 20,000 to 29,000. Frieza's 2nd form is 1,000,000+. Piccolo w/Nail beats Frieza's second form, who beats his first form, who is way stronger than the Ginyu Force, who only needed one member to decimate Vegeta, who killed Zarbon with moderate effort.

The power level consistency is on level with Fairy Tail. I know this shouldn't bother me THAT much because "Pfft... it's just Dragon ball, dude." But it feels like Toriyama is just trying to make money. I think what the story needed was more comedy to balance out this feeling that it was taking itself too seriously.

Also, as much as I love Dragonball's cast over DBZ's, I can only watch Krillin, Tien, and Roshi killing Frieza soldiers for so long before I roll my eyes.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I thought to myself "maybe I was too harsh on Infinite Ryvius" so I took on the next episode after where I left off.

>clearly said they were heading toward Earth
>in Saturn's orbit
>the military made a second Ryvius and Vital Guarder
>they only had one battle

Did I miss an entire arc? Stuff like that takes a long time to build. The stupidity hurts and ending that episode on a cliffhanger gives it no favors. Now to distance ourselves from this by checking on on the five series I mentioned previously, all at episode 4.

-M3: Oh hey we have a main mecha! And a silver haired psycho that is entertaining! Goth girl is also kind of useless! Yeah I really don't have a lot to say about it right now.

-Freezing Vibration: Wow did Satellizer get a back seat in her own series and the music not being as good as the first series does not help any. At least there is action although some kaiju would be appropriate right around now-ish.

-When They Cry Kai: Did the animation budget go up in flames? This series is going all out for comedy with only horor bits here and there. I want to say it is like the previous series except that wasn't anywhere near as cartoony. How come this doesn't get the reputation of bad quality its predecessor had? The sad part is that it at least manages to be slightly more entertaining than said predecessor. What the hell is the appeal of this franchise? It can't be horror since there is barely any in it.

-Rec: Just slice of life with red haired girl taking her job seriously, nothing bad, but nothing interesting either. How do you talk about slice of life anime anyway?

-Planetes: This cast is obnoxious, I like how in episode 4 they try making a snobby rich kid the bad guy when they themselves flat out admit they didn't do their job properly. Haji reminds me too much of Ota from the TV version of Patlabor: Bad at his job, loud, self-centered, uncaring, whiny, and just being badly written in general; the only upside is that he doesn't put lives in danger. At the rate he's going he'll easily make by top 20 least favorite anime characters, maybe top 15.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 873 of 1061